3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Does a Bowyer Feel?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How Does a Bowyer Feel?
« on: February 14, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
Sometimes I have second thoughts about selling a bow here because I don't want the bowyer who made it to feel bad.

Those who make em, does it bother you to see your bow's go second-hand?

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Does a Bowyer Feel?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
I am not a bowyer but am glad to see that someone appreciates the craftsmanship ,time ,and sweat as I do. Ric
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
Great question.  Ive wondered the same.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
Yep, I have often wondered the same thing when I sell a bow.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
I am not a bowyer either, but I'll bet most understand that there are a thousand different bows out there, and most of us are on a journey to find "the one". It took me almost 20yrs to find "the one", and while I still admire many bows, I am no longer looking for another one!

Bisch

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Maybe they feel a bit let down, but when it gets snapped up quickly on the classifieds that may go away.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Personally it has never bothered me.  I look at it as exposure for my product.  If a bow changes hands then it will be exposed to another group of people who get to see what Holm-Made Bows is putting out.  In this mail order type of business that is important.  I want as many people to handle my bows as possible.  

On a similar note,  I used to call customers several months after I sold them a bow to check on how the bow is working out.  I quit doing that because I could tell some customers were uncomfortable telling me that they sold the bow or preferred to hunt with a different bow, etc.  

This is a tough business to make it in as is shown in the amount of bow businesses that come and go.  I'm sure that any bowyer that has been in business any amount of time has enough confidence in their product and themselves that it wouldn't bother them to see someone sell their bows.  
Chad

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
I was just thinking about this today glad you ask
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
I'm no bowyer, but I have a little business sense, and I think Chad hit the nail on the head.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
I think bowyers realize archers are a fickle lot.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 11:14:00 PM »
I don't pay much attention to the classified ads myself. But honestly i was surprised to see how many guys buy and sell these custom built bows with so little attachment to them.....Then again, some folks trade in their cars and trucks every year for a new one... What can you say?

I'm one of those guys that drive the same rig for 10 years or more, & have hunted with the same bow for years now.

To answer your question Roy, sometimes it bothers me..... Sometimes it just don't matter. I don't let it hurt my feelings one way or the other.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
My bowyer should feel good, I will never sell my TC! It's MY bow.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »
If you make a good bow  it should be shooting arrows,no matter who's hands it is in,otherwise its useless,even if it is beautiful

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 01:02:00 AM »
Being a long time bow collector who's moved all over the country, I've made friends with quite a few bowyers, nearly all my friends know I love hunting with classic recurves(often-not always-but I don't emphasize that!)  I found it bothered me to have a bow made by a friend and for me to be embarrassed if he asked what I killed a critter with, or what bow I used last season, etc....or even to see me walking around a 3D shoot with a different custom bow! They were big boys and knew the facts, but I never felt sheepish if I was using a 60s Black Widow, Bear, Wing,or Drake.   It would be the same way if a buddy made me a knife and later saw me with another on a hunt.  

Not to say I haven't used customs, but usually I buy them off the used market.  I very rarely order a new custom bow and it's gotta be one that's unique or special in some way.  And, it's likely to be a pretty recent design.  I've bought 20 year old bows by a couple of bowyers with the best reputation today, and found them pretty ordinary, if compared to recent bows by their top competition. Some bowyers don't really change anything for a VERY long time(and some of them produce more and more elegant versions of the same designs...not something I will criticize!)  But, if I'm going to order a new one today, it's going to be based on the expectation of exceptional performance(most everything else-craftsmanship, fit, finish-is a given with top bowyers today).

OK, this went far afield from the original topic. Most really good bowyers SHOULD be proud and want to see you using the best product they could make! I'd wonder about one who-deep inside-wasn't disappointed if you didn't.  But, it isn't really about them or THEIR ability.  We're the ones who characteristically think another bow is going to make us a better archer. They're just responding to the demand of a population of starry- eyed "traditionalists!) There is likely someone somewhere who could take the worst bow I ever had and stomp my butt on a 3-D course.  I just keep trying more of them because it's so damned much fun!
Tom

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 01:25:00 AM »
It honestly used to bother the heck out of me. Then I started getting feedback and reports from people that got them second hand and how much they liked the bow and I began to understand that some people are fickle. It bothers me when someone gets a bow that I put my heart into specially for them and the shoot it one time and sell it. That is not giving oneself time to even know the bow. But hey its your buck and if that is how much time you want to give it then its not my problem.
However I have not had to deal with much of this as most of the bows I build stay with the first buyer and never make an add for sale .

God bless, Steve

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 03:17:00 AM »
I've often wondered the same thing Roy and I I've had that conversation with a great friend of mine who is a bowyer and he said the same thing Sixby said. Sometimes it bothered him and sometimes it didn't. When it bothered him it more had to do with him really wanting that person to enjoy the bow and being let down if they didn't.

With that said, a lot of us have been through bows like a used car salesman. We each have our likes and dislikes and sometimes the dislikes are simply for cosmetic issues. I once ordered a new bow just because I thought it was the most beautiful bow made so without ever even holding or shooting one I pulled the trigger on it. Waited impatiently the 12 months and when the time came that it arrived I pulled it out of the box and I really couldn't stand the thing. Not a thing wrong with the bow. It shot fantastic with the best manners in the world. I just simply didn't like it because the riser was so big and bulky.

I would think a bowyer reaches a point where they realize that everyone has their reasons for selling and it may have nothing in the world to do with the bow.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline nkartscher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
This could also benefit the bowyer.the last bow I purchased used was a t ghost hybrid.im the third owner and I absolutely love the bow.after shooting it for a couple weeks I called kent and ordered another.sure am glad someone else passed on this one lol
nkartscher

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Don't forget, not everyone sells a bow because they don't like it. I've sold many a bow because I needed the cash. Wish I had every one of them back.
David M. Conroy

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
I hope my Bowyer understands that I am not "fickle".  I have put many hours and days of thought into what I want. I hope he will put his heart and soul into that bow and that all his other bows that went to the classifieds doesn't jade him into building just "another" bow.

Its good to hear feedback from the bowyers.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
A couple of years ago I had a new bow made.  Talked at length with the bowyer and he made my bow exactly to my specs-except, he had made changes to the design and hadn't updated his website.  When I opened the box, I hated the bow.  It shot great, handled well, but it wasn't the design I wanted.  No way of doing anything about, the bowyer had sold his business, mine was the last bow he made, and he finished it after all his equipment was gone.  I couldn't hold the new bowyer accountable, so I traded it away.

Many of us read reviews of a bow and decide "that's the bow I need".  When we get it, it doesn't fit/look/shoot as well for us as  expected or as well as what we already had.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©