3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can you educate me on fletching?  (Read 831 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Can you educate me on fletching?
« on: February 15, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
Id like to start fletching my own arrows. I get sick of depending on an archery shop for everything. The arrows I shoot right now were fletched by Big Jim. I like them and I would like to keep the same set up. Im not sure what he did to them. They look like they have helical, (right). So what does it matter if you have straight? offset? or helical? Can you fletch with an Arizona fletch tool or do you need a jig? What about glue? What kind?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you educate me on fletching?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
First step is to decide what wing right or left.
Doesn't really matter. Just have to be consistant.

Jig type. If your going to be doing this for years I would go with JoJan or a Bitzenberger.

A single clamp would be all you would need if using CA (super glue). Or fletch tape. I use the CA.

Recommend the helical clamp, good for everything.
Big Jim may chime in if not call him and ask how your arrows are set up.

Making your own arrows is well worth the investment in time and equiptment.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
This is kind of an involved subject.  It is probably better for you to approach this as a journey rather than a few questions to be answered piecemeal.  If you're a reader, I recommend the article in volume 3 of the Traditional Bowyers Bible by Gabriela Cosgrove on making arrows.  Even if you don't intend to make your own bows, it is interesting to read about how they do it (if you're a reader).

If you're more a visual person, then pick up the DVD from Three Rivers on making arrows.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Va,
Left helical they spin counter clockwise right helical spins clockwise. It doesn't matter which way they spin. Unless you're shooting single bevel heads, then you want the helical of the fletching match the bevel of the broad. Like left helical with left bevel.
 I Have no experience with Arizona fletch tool. I've been using a Grayling jig for years that I got for 25.00 always has worked well for me.
I would say the glue depends on if you're going to use arrow wraps or not. If you are I would go with a super glue. I use Gorrila Super Glue Impact tough. If you're not going to use wraps I would use fletch tite platinum. Super glue is a pain to get off of arrow shafts, especially if you cleaned and prepared the shafts well
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
You defiantly need a good fletching jig. Bitzenburg will last a lifetime. Then find someone to show you how to fletch, its very easy. I have a right hand helical and a straight clamp. I use Fletch Tight Platinum glue with arrow wraps. Most traditional Archers shoot year round and damage or break a lot of arrows, or re-fletch when feathers get worn out. So fletching your own shafts saves money in the long run.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Ok, good stuff. Yeh it looks to me like they are right wing with helical. So I should look into a Blitz? back when I used to shoot blazer vanes and compounds I dabbled with fletching using the Arizona EZ fletch tool. It was simple really. just put the fletchings in put glue on em and close up. wait 15 mins and it was done. I know my local shop uses only a EZ fletch tool. The blitz has to mounted to something correct?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 09:39:00 PM »
No, the Bitzenburger doesn't need mounted to anything. If you're going to want something super solid that will last a lifetime, a Bitz is the only way to go. Something cheaper like the Bohning pro-class jig will do the trick though.

I honestly wouldn't use the EZ fletch when I could get something like the Bohning jig for cheaper.

I use a simple set up....wrap my arrows with cap wraps, use a bitzenburger with feathers from BigJim or 3Rivers, and use fletch tite platinum on them. Tape works great too. Watch some videos on youtube or just do some trial and error and you'll pick it up in no time.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
VA, I used the Arizona ez fletch for feathers, it does work with feathers but the feathers don't fit in the slots as well as plastic vanes so I bought a JoJan fletcher that will fletch six feathers at one time on 6 different arrows or less , then you rotate the nock receiver and fletch six more, then rotate and fletch the last six feathers, it has its own base so you don't need to mount it to anything.  The Blitz is also a great fletcher but costs a little more, both will last you a long time. I use fletch tight platinum with arrows wraps and don't have any issues.  

Rodney

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
VA,
Ide say the type of jig to get depends on how much fletching you're going to do. You don't need a fancy jig if you're going to fletch a dozen arrows every year or two years.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
I don't plan on fletching a lot, just when I have an or two that needs a refletch.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »
I bought a used  bitzenberger very reasonably.  Maybe post a wtb for whatever jig you want on the arrow making opponents  forum.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
Like mentioned above, check out the Grayling Fletching jig. I just got one and it works quite well. I would like to get a bitzenburger at some point, but the Grayling works well and it only cost me $24 new with clamp. It is made in the USA as well which I like.

Fletching your arrows is not difficult at all.

Find a mark on the clamp for locating the feather in the same place, insert feather, add glue to the quill, place clamp on magnent, press down feather onto shaft and wait a few minutes, remove clamp, rotate shaft to next position, and repeat.

It is that easy and not only will save you money, but is part of the fun of archery.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
We carry the Bitzenburger's, Jo-Jan, and ez fletchers. All three will do the job well.

You can get started for less money with the ez fletch and add jigs as you go if you like.

I strongly suggest a helical feather in your choice of R or L wing.
Heck of a good time to get started as well since we have a supper buy on feathers right now.

thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
Thanks Jim, is there any difference other than looks with the shield vs parabolic

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
I like the looks of the shield better.
Parabolic is probably a little quieter.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
As was brought up before, putting feathers on the back of your arrows can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.  Every single shape has good and bad points.  Every single color has good and bad points.  Every single size, layout configuration, location on the shaft, method of securing etc etc has. . .  you guessed it, good and bad.  

What works awesome for one application may not be the best for another favored application.  

Way tougher than choosing a shaft and broadhead weight.  or not.

As you are seeing.  There are some basics.  Start with those.  Making arrows can get addicting for some folks.  I actually don't like doing it, and you can tell by how un-pretty my arrows are.   Others love making arrows and they look great, get really fancy and can get to be works of art, and definately works of love.

Start with one clamp.  I use a Bitzenberger cause that is what I have.  It cost a bit to start, but unless I really abuse it, my grandkids will also have it.  Use what ya got and change out later as you gain in knowledge and desire.

I acquired a straight, a right helical and a left helical clamp and I use whatever feathers I want (are on sale).  Note. . there is a little bit of difference in how things are set up, left to right, in terms of clamp internals, as I was told, but I switch off all the time and simply readjust the settings, something a Bitz unit will allow you to do that some others cannot.  Although your current unit is easy, unless they changed, they allow almost no adjusting.

By the way, there is no "L", Bitz, not Blitz.  Almost everybody starts off with the other name.

Glue depends on the surfaces of the arrow and the feather / vane.  No one is best for everything (but I think some are getting close).   I have gone to putting on a cap wrap on every arrow I make because Duco sticks to it every time.  No issues, no concerns.  I also use fletch tape 100 % of the time (with Duco front /  back / side).  I have no issues with that but others say they have.

With your exuberance for the game, I am gonna guess you will enjoy making arrows, so You might want to buy some feathers right now and stock up.  Get onto the net and google " how to fletch an arrow" and see the many different ways folks do it.  Take tidbits from each that help you and make your own style.

and keep having fun.

ChuckC

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
I started out with a Grayling [could not get enough helical on a long feather but works well on shorter vanes ] ...in fact still have it. Moved up to a JOJAN and could not get if to fit the arrow shaft  the way I wanted so sold it. Now have 4 Blitzenberger and like them the best. Bought them used and do not have a lot in them.Just one opinion, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 05:33:00 PM »
VA,
Wondering first if you're talking about fletching wood, or carbon, or aluminum? Nothing much to add to the advice already given, but I seem to recall your mentioning in an earlier post about not wanting to rely on a shop to build your arrows.
I'd certainly feel good about Big Jim setting me up. Do you want to be able to cut your own shafts to length yourself?

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
Carbon. And yes I let Jim take care of me. But I mean when I tear a fletching or they get worn out, I can't send Jim arrows to refletch. I just figured i could handle refletching jobs. In all likelihood I would fletch a few arrows here and there maybe 5-10 a year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©