3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can you educate me on fletching?  (Read 832 times)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you educate me on fletching?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Most assuredly, don't sweat it. Might take a bit of time, experience,
to get confident and comfortable with it, but you will. With satisfaction and reward.
I lose and/or beak a few dozen arrows a year, I'd guess. decided to get a fletching jig, and the few other tools necessary, to build up my arrows from shafts. tried carbon but then realized wood is what I really preferred to shoot. For me, it's easier, and feels like it fits, shooting wood. And I need only a good knife to cut them myself, and be that much more "self sufficient" to have that much more involvement and independence. With carbons, I just didn't have/want the investment in the cut off saw. Big Jim can help you well there, once again. Sure beats that local shop you dealt with, no?
Jo Jan, Grayling, Bohning, Bitz (which I chose) - any of these will get you there.
get out and do some roving, and you'll get to do a lot more fletching! You'll learn quickly enough. Best of luck, and enjoy!

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
I always wanted to be more self sufficient when I was shooting a compound, but the darn things are like space age gadgets..I was afraid to touch it. But now after switching over, Im learning that you kind of have to be self sufficient or you won't be able to do much shooting/hunting. I am also learning that common sense goes a long ways.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
VA,
There's two things that directed me towards traditional bows. Wanting to do everything myself "self sufficient" and loving to hunt, but the thrill was gone! I couldn't stand the mechanical complexity of compounds and relying on someone else to put a string on or whatever the case.
 I saw a magazine at the grocery store. On the cover was a guy with a longbow getting ready to release an arrow at a buck, I bought it! I didn't know any trad shooters, but I knew I was going to do everything I could to become one. I wish I would have known about tradgang. It would have saved me money and a lot of grief.
After the first few seasons and a handful of misses at deer closer than I care to mention. I never once questioned what I was doing out here missing all these deer while my friends had truck loads of wheelie bow deer. I have people ask me all the time why would you hunt with that? What if you see the deer of a lifetime at 40 yards? (Which is beyond my ethical skills).... I read somewhere one time that if you have to ask you wouldn't understand the answer and that's what I tell them!
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 06:44:00 AM »
Msbow truer words were never spoken my friend. I don't own a Muzzle Loader, I have had several deer of "lifetime" out of range for a bow and yes, people asked and think Im crazy. I just shake my head and think, they just don't get it...
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
I like building my own arrows, it's fun... Once you get past the learning stage that is... To me arrows are like ammo- Made to be shot, broken, lost, bent beyond repair... Whatever...

You may not save a lot of money buyin' shafts, feathers, wraps, nocks etc... But they will be just way you want and like colors to be... That's important to me anyway...

Go For It

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Joni

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
I got martin j8 and bohning jigs. Imho martin is better, and you can put bitz clamp on it if you want..

They say that shiel cut is louder..

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
I really like that grayling jig I have been using one for years. For about 30 bucks you can get your feet wet then upgrade
After if you want. Some people say the noise level between parabolic and shield is different but, for practical purposes. No there is no difference. Also look on true flights website. They have a series of illustrated instructions on fletching that I found to be quite helpful. It isn't hard once you get the hang of it. Best way to learn is just to do. I use tape works great.

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Good thread- thought about posting the same one while grouse hunting this afternoon.  Just pulled the trigger on a jig after the information on here.  Thanks again to tradgangers!

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 11:01:00 PM »
Well Bob, what kind did you get?
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 06:28:00 AM »
Went with the Bitzenburger dial-o-fletch left helical

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©