3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Point me toward my next new bow.....  (Read 535 times)

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
Point me toward my next new bow.....
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
I'm thinking about another new bow....maybe a longbow...maybe not.....

My tastes at this point seem to lie in bows that are lightweight, have short tip to tip dimensions and a riser that isn't bulky.  I like pretty materials but it must be durable.  Most of all I like a bow that is highly shootable...comfortable in hand, quick to the target and capable of delivering a punch.

My current bows are in my sig line....I don't want another bear....I think I'm leaning toward a longbow.....I wonder though is there a longbow out there that's short enough for my tastes??
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline fz4vgq

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Point me toward my next new bow.....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
Shrew Classic Hunter 52" - 58"
Javaman  Elkheart 52" - 58"
Cari-Bow Wolverine 58"
A&H 1 or 2 piece 56"

In a 3 piece ILF bow you can go with a 13" riser with short limbs (54") or super short limbs (52")

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
If you can hold off for a few more months you can start going to 3d shoots, especially trad. ones. You will find stickbow shooters who will more then likely let you try their bows.

It's a lot easier then buying and finding out some bows are not for you. You can talk to some bowyers who will let you try before you buy. Good luck,

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Whittler:
If you can hold off for a few more months you can start going to 3d shoots, especially trad. ones. You will find stickbow shooters who will more then likely let you try their bows.

It's a lot easier then buying and finding out some bows are not for you. You can talk to some bowyers who will let you try before you buy. Good luck,
Actually that's a great plan.  I tend to dream a lot and think and look and hem and haw and shuffle my feet before I finally buy.....I like the idea of seeing bows in action and finding my next one like that.  

But in the meantime I'd be thrilled if you fine folks could point me toward something to daydream about....lol...
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
fz' and Whittler are steering you right.  Definitely consider the superb lineup Gregg Coffey from Java Man offers.  You sound like the perfect candidate for an Elkheart etc.  Then there's the sweet shooting Thunderchild from Big Jim.  Ron is offering some sweet new Shrews too built by Chuck at Two Tracks.  The Caribow Wolverine is also a superb shooter.  Dan Toelke offers his short Whip HS models.  The Chinook recurve is also absolutely outstanding.  There's so many choices.  Those are a bunch of my favorites.  Hoots longbows are also killer shorties.  Definitely check out the used market to save some cash trying out new stuff.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
Zipper.  Definitely a zipper

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
Big jim buffalo or Thunderchild. Tough georeous  and won't break your wallet.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
Don't know what part of Missouri you are in but Mike Dunnaway, Wild Horse Creek Bows, makes great bows that I think meet all you criteria.  He is located in Perry, Kansas.

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
Check out Striker bows.  Everything you described.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
Yup, lots of choices, suggested by folks here that have experienced them. Shooting a very sweet 58" Javaman
these days myself, and can add to the positives about Gregg's bows. If I can offer something from my own (limited) expeience of all the bows out there- I haven't shot so many, but some of the fine ones, mentioned here, some not yet - let the bow that appeals to you be a choice, and try to look closely at the grip, so it will feel more natural, more quickly.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
If 60" is short enough, the PL from Black Widow..... I see that you have a BW.... I surely do like EVERYTHING  about mine!!!!

Good luck and God bless,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
I like Big Jim's bows,and he offers both the Buffalo and the Thunderchild  in some pretty short models.

I'm surprised no one has brought up Centaur archery yet,he has short ones available.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
LEON STEWART SLAMMER! Everything you described and a great guy to deal with....

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
LOL.  There's so many choices I always forget a few!!  

How could I forget Jim's wonderful Centaurs!  Truly awesome.  His 54 and 56" bows can handle longer draws if you keep the weight @28 at 45# or less.  His 58" is good to past 29" at any poundage he offers.

And the Lil Slammer and Slammer Special from Leon Stewart!  Absolutely brilliant little longbows.  I can't believe I forgot those!  LOL.  Truly I have judged all the hybrids/longbows I have shot in the last couple years by Leon's bows.  They are a benchmark for me.

I can't speak for Wild Horse Creek cause I have not tried one, though I hear nothing but good and definitely would like to try one someday.

Oh oh and don't forget the New Wood Vangaurd!!  58" of sweet shooting value!  Price and quality wise about the best deal going out there right now for a new custom bow besides a Mad Dog....

Can you see where this is going???

I would evaluate very specifically the qualities that are most important to you, figure out the type of grip you like, and the overall "look" of the bow you are going for, superficial as it sounds it does matter, and go from there, trying some bows used and also trying as many from other folks when you get the chance as possible...

Enjoy!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
Kanati.  At your draw you could get away with a 56".

Offline NotDylan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
I'll echo what Nine said earlier.  A 58" Whip HS is a hell of a longbow.  His recurves are stellar too, the 52" Ketrel might be up your alley.  One of the best things about Dan is his wait times.  He could probably have you a bow before the end of March.

If 58" is too long and you're willing to wait, Gregg Coffey is great too.  His Elkhart and Inferno shoot better than they have any right to at their respective lengths.  I picked up a used Inferno from the classifieds and it has really impressed me.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
JD Berry, Big Jim, Black widow
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
J.k. Traditions Kanati. I have a 56in and it is everything you asked for and they are very reasonably priced. Jason is top notch to deal with also.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
Considering the attributes you listed, you would be hard pressed to beat a Toelke Whip.  There are a couple in the classifieds at great prices.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 11:18:00 PM »
Man...you guys are on the ball.  I've been scouring the sponsor pages and the net for pictures and descriptions of these bows.  I've got a growing list of bows I can't wait to shoot if the opportunity becomes available.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©