3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about your ground hunting  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about your ground hunting
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
I use brush ground blinds exclusively these days. I used to use a lot of tree stands, but I don't like the shot angle from a tree, I've had I don't know how many stolen, and I like the on the ground, same level, up close and in your face excitement of ground hunting better. I usually build a semi circle of limbs/brush at the base of a good sized tree, and weave in some branches with the leaves on for more camo. I'll lean some bigger branches against the sides of the tree too at times, if I think the situation calls for it. I build these high enough to hide all my lower body, and some of the upper, but not high enough to hinder my shooting. I sit on a bucket with my hot seat on top, between the blind and with my back against the tree. I use other variations of this same blind in places where I don't have a tree in the right spot too. I've been using some of my blinds for 20 years. I just fluff 'em up each fall, and add more branches. I've been thinking about buying some of the camo burlap material and using it in the same way, but adding some natural stuff to it. I'd take a picture of one of them for you, but they're buried under about 3 feet of snow right now.

Bob

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
I spent the better part of a day one time, building a blind in a great spot that didn't have a tree where I needed it. There were two decent sized trees handy so I threw one over the other in a V, with the wide opening facing the trail. I built the back up some more, so it would hide my outline, and give me a back rest. I put another smaller log across the others in front of me, camo'd that in with brush and killed a nice buck from it on the first day of season. Of course the deer changed their travel pattern there the next year, and I had to move 40 yards out in front and build another blind. Luckily, I had a big maple tree to work with in that spot. I've been shooting deer from that blind for years.

Bob

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by JDow3:

Originally posted by timbermoose:
My hunting is from ground only. Stalking and still hunting. Asbell wool jacket an wool pants. Mostly just use deadfalls, large trunks, anything to diffuse my outline. Added only one thing to be successfull, face paint. Was getting busted all the time, tried the ol' face paint, bam! No more getting busted. Only nerves get the better of me, mostly while bear hunting. Seem to shoot right over them 4/5 times.      :banghead:  
Do you carry a firearm while bear hunting from the ground?  If not my hats off to a brother. You're a braver man than I! [/b]
No firearm, usually carry bear spray. I'm more fearfull of the blasted squrrels looking for nutz.  ;)
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »
I like the Torges seats, they are cheap and easy to make. I have two problems with them. They are a bit creaky on burr oaks until they settle in.  If I use a binder tie at the base and up top they settle in better and I prefer to leave them for the next time. However, and this really torques my screws, they almost always get stolen.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
spot and stalk or sit on the ground and lean on a tree that way if ya fall asleep ya don't fall far.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »
love that pic J Jeffer
had to look twice.
Slickhead

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
When possible, I build up natural blinds in the winter months using available cover. Dragging over limbs, brush etc. Gives the deer time to adjust to the new "object" in their area.

However, as I lost more land, I used any and all available cover that allows me to setup 20-30 yds off any trails or scrapes. Not always easy...key is to blend in as well as my camo allows, not move and 99% of the time, taking quartering away shots.

The use of the torges seat for comfort and quiet clothing. If the wind is wrong, I won't hunt that particular blind or ambush location. The 3 pics below may not look like much but I've taken deer from all three locations.

This scrape 25 yds from my ambush spot

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
One thing I notice about J. Jeffer's pic is how his full brim hat shadows his eyes with the sun behind. The face I think is the part that gives me away the most with deer or turks at close range. Thanks for the pic.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 11:33:00 PM »
I have never used this personally. However, I have a hunting  buddy who swears by carrying two camo umbrellas in his pack and setting them up as his ground blind. They are the little ones. easy to pack. He sets rocks on them to hold the handle and the part of the umbrella on the ground. Obviously they don't do well with windy conditions.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 04:33:00 AM »
I rarely hunt from a stand anymore after a near fall a few years ago...ive had luck off of a bucket up against a big tree/group of small trees. like others mentioned backcover is more important that cover in front of you. blend in to what is behind you. keep your face covered, darkened with paint, or your god given beard! I love hunting off of the ground because I have so many more options when the wind isn't right or if I want to try a new spot. lugging around stands, worrying about structural integrity, and feeling like im "stuck" to hunting certain spots without moving the stand are a few reasons why it appeals to me
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »
Ground hunter hear the last 10-12 years. At 56 I just  don't feel comfortable in a tree any more.

Natural blinds, - consisting of getting behind blowdowns, large double or triple trees at my back, Torges seat. As Joe Skip mention, ASAT camo is a great camo choice. I wore a ghillie for a couple seasons but found it to be a hassle. I keep the ghillie hat however, I believe it helps change the shape of the human silo and make your head and shoulders more mound like. I had my closest encounter ever this season with the try of set up mentioned above. An 3 point walked right in to me to 15 feet.

I to am 0-5 deer hunting trad. But I believe getting closer and learn from every encounter.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 06:55:00 AM »
Hunted half the time on the ground this past season. Used blowdown trees and rootball as cover. Had a blast and some 10 yard opportunities. Will be getting out in the upcoming weeks to add some cover to the westside of this set... a bit open. Have some blowdown pines at another area that I can't wait to use this fall. Good luck!

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Never tried a ghillie hat; any harder to shoot wearing one compared to a regular face mask?
SWA Spyder

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
I have one brush blind that resembles the "forts" we used to build as kids. It is a wall of brush built up as part of a blow down involving several tress. It would not work in a more open area, though. Other times I use far more sparse hiding spots, making sure I have good cover behind me. Sitting still, which requires a comfortable seat,  becomes a major component of camouflage while hunting from the ground. I had no luck from the ground but had fun trying.
Sam

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
I'm planning on digging a couple pit blinds for turkey season. I have some nice blow downs I can dig in front of that will give me a very low profile. This will be on my own land.

Offline backyardbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
Been ground hunting exclusively a couple years now. I've tried the enclosed blind, but they are a hassle to pack and move. This year had good results with a Big Jim seat and brushed in with the trusty clippers. Had 5 deer within 20 feet, but got busted on the draw. Still all were unforgettable hunts.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
Been building ground blinds for years as I scout in summer, and learn new areas.  Some I have never returned to, others I have.  I like it, but have not had success.  Been busted once, but that was because we made eye contact, before he got to a spot I could shoot.  I try to build up cover behind trees I hope to use if they are not really large.  I use a torgues seat and just got a Waldrop pack seat that I am looking forward to using.  I still use tree stands, but I find myself being drawn more often to sitting on the ground.

Here is one from last season, blaze cap is on due to muzzleloader season.

And another

The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
Dbd, I use a bucket style hat, kind of like a boonie with netting attached that hangs down to my shoulders. Tied in is jute cord and different eathtone fabrics. The whole thing is to obliterate the silo of the head and make the head more of a mound shape. I find the ghillie hat works well. I had an 8 point with 15 feet this season - correction to post above
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
IMO  the best spots to ground hunt --
1- must have sign

2- favorable wind conditions -best if there is some structure [pond/rockwalls..ect]that steers the deer Upwind of your ambush position

3- needs very little or NO modifications

avoid setting up tight to the bottom of steep banks of any size-it usually will have very deceiving swirling winds
also don't bury yourself so deep in the brush that you can't shoot!-trust your camo--and trust your background---oh sit still and quit fidgeting!!!
Mike

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 01:25:00 AM »
Oh yea, fidgeting is the hardest part for me. Damn I hate that!
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©