3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why are wild boars so hard to kill  (Read 546 times)

Offline robin

• Trad Bowhunter
Why are wild boars so hard to kill
« on: February 18, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
One month ago I hit a boar with a 3 blade BH, penetration to the chest area was only about 6 inches as I could still see a big part of the shaft sticking out as it ran away.

Tracked approx 30 yards with miserable blood trial and did not manage to recover.

Last week, I managed to hit another boar approx 60lbs at close range at just 5 yards quartering away with a 2 blade BH, this shot had passed thru and shaft broken as it ran off.    :confused:   initially, the blood trail was decent, but after 40 yards, it became poor. At 60 yards, I could not see any trial at all.

Any advise, suggestion much appreciated.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why are wild boars so hard to kill
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
I think they die just as easily as anything else but they leave poor blood trails and that shield can really hinder penetration.  It sure sounds like the second one should have died somewhere close by.  Is there a lot of water where you hunt?  That can be a big problem.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
Robin,

Wild boars are not that hard to kill if the shot is placed correctly. (see the thread at the top of powwow for shot placement)  The lungs are relativity small and placed forward of most game animals.  So it's easy to shoot back to far.

Even when properly placed they are hard to recover if the hole is not big enough.  IMHO a three blade head is much better on hogs if you can get an exit hole.  If not, you have to go with a two blade.

What bow, arrow and broadhead are you using?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
Lots of things can help / hinder a bowhunter when it comes to being able to cleanly and quickly kill a prey animal.  

Some ideas right off the top of my head.

Make certain your broadheads are as sharp as you can get them. .  whatever that means to you.  Do not believe that any head right out of the package is sharp enough. Make certain your arrow / broadhead combo are up to the task (heavy and strong enough) and fly well ( spine etc are good for your bow).

Make certain that you know the physiology of that sort of critter.  Many folks think the good innards are further back than they really. are.  Many a liver shot (or worse) are initially called "good hits" by folk that don't know.

Learn, learn, learn how to track.  The better you get, the more chance of finding critters, especially in those areas that are just full of thick undergrowth.

Practice to make sure your shooting is up to snuff and take the shortest shots you can arrange (within reason) at good targets (don't take bad shots "because that was the only shot he gave me".

ChuckC

Offline robin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
Bear 52 recurve 50lbs at 24.   weasel woodmen and, Magnus, zicky ....(not sure the spelling though)

Carbon and Easton 2018 xx75

Offline robin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
Etter, no there is no water where I hunt........matter a fact I lost the hog at a high ridge area....far away from any water

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
Blades must be razor sharp. Also maybe study up on tracking. If  you are making a good hit, you should be able to recover it.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
How long did you look for the critters? Did you do a grid search after losing blood?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
take out both lungs and you will find them.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
If you ever skin one out you will know why they are hard to kill. That shield, everyone talks about is why. It's solid gristle,
You can hardly cut through it with a sharp knife. It also contains a lot of fat, which has a tendency to clog the entry and exit wounds.
  Like someone suggested, look at the hog shot placement
Pics on here. The very best shot placement on a hog is broadside, straight up the leg and low, you can't shoot a hog too low.
  With your set up, two blade broadheads are the he only way to go. Last, if you got a fatal hit, don't giveup on the search, get down on your hands and knees if need be. There is sign there, you just have to find it.
RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
Yep with a short draw length and a lower performance bow, you will need to stick to two blade BH.  

Then it is all about shot placement and getting an exit.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Try tree sharks and you will have blood.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
Go to United Blood Trackers web site. They have state maps which you can select and find all the guys who are registered with tracking dogs in your state. Call one near you and ask him if he will be willing to track your next hog. Most of them will not charge, or charge just gas money. Be honest with him about when and where you shot the pig so he can be fair with his dog. And don't wait days until you call.

It's really a shame to lose a well hit animal.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline suburbanirma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
Do any of you veteran hog hunters use a string tracker? I won't take a shot at more than 15 yards. I will use a recurve at 56# @ my draw length and arrows @ 650g tipped with either a 200g three blade or 200g two blade broadhead.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
It appears that Robin is in Malaysia.  That's gonna be a far drive for someone from UBT,  maybe not.  I don't know.
ChuckC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
Arrow Flight, sharp head, shot placement.  If all is so, they go down no harder than deer shot in the right place.

I 30 yards is a normal average for a double lung with the 3 above.  Not so sharp head will add yardage even if the other two above are met....

If the other two are not met...or getting close to not getting met...its down hill from there.

But NO, they are not hard to kill if you do your part...and YES they are if you don't.

To be real honest, its best to have them closer than deer for the average size hog...cause the vitals are screwy.  Large hogs same range as deer.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
My guess is you shot them like a deer and hit them too far back to hit the vitals on a hog. Every time I hit them where I should they have gone down pretty fast even when I thought the penetration was poor.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
I agree with all of the above.
Personally, I like to shoot them quartering away, it allows for a greater margin for error. If you double lung them, you generally will watch them fall(depending on cover, of course)
I'd be willing to wager that a lot of "perfectly" hit hogs live to root another day.
Some guys laugh when they see how close we put our stands to the feeders. We like slam dunk shots:)
(if there is such a thing)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
That'll teach me to read the whole post (including who posted it   :knothead:
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
:goldtooth:  
I do the same thing all the time.  We all do.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©