3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Story of Kong- Video added page 11  (Read 13839 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Story of Kong- Video added page 11
« on: February 18, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
A classic TradGang story from the past…
OK guys, I have a story to tell.  This is a story that covers a hunt for a single great hog that lasted three years.  It is a story about an animal so intelligent and wary that he deserves this long and detailed story.  I will put it down here as fast as I can and try to post as many pictures as possible to help chronicle the hunt of my lifetime. This is the story of Kong. The most intelligent animal I have ever encountered in 40 plus years of hunting....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 12:13:49 PM by Jerry Russell »

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Story of Kong- Video added page 11
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
Get to telling, Im tuned in.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
The Story of Kong.

The boar stood just four yards away and his massive size was nearly overwhelming.  Missing him at this range would be like missing a minivan.  But before we go any further, there is simply no way to get to the end of this crazy story without going back to the very beginning in the spring of 2012.

I received an email from a guy that was a nuisance animal trapper.  He knew that I guided for hogs and asked if I could give him some pointers on a hog removal job that he had been contracted for. The hogs in question were reported to be true monsters and the two of them were basically terrorizing a small neighborhood.  The hog inhabited some of the most jungle like mixture of privet, kudzu and briars I have ever seen.  We discussed a game plan for establishing a bait station as the hogs were solely nocturnal.  Several weeks later, he reported that he had in fact killed one of the boars and it was a monster with an estimated weight over 400 pounds.  Unfortunately, the second hog had escaped.

He hunted this hog several more times but the close call along with being shot at a second time left him with a hog that had become very wary.  After many more attempts the hunter called me back and asked if I would like to take over the hunt.  I jumped at the chance.  I have always loved hunting giant hogs. I killed my first hog in 1980 and have been hooked on chasing big hogs ever since.  Most would call it an addiction for me.

For those that don’t know me, I have been a hog hunter for nearly 40 years and I guide hog hunters (among many other things) for a living.  I have taken more hogs than I can remember and have never had a great deal of trouble taking a specific boar, given enough time. I am providing this bio to help put the rest of this story in perspective.  I am not new to the game of big hog hunting.   To be honest, I thought I would make fairly short work of this big boar. I had no way of knowing that an incredible journey was about to begin in my life.

I am a trophy hunter by most folk’s definition of that term. What I mean by that is I like to specifically hunt mature animals. Four to five year old deer, bear and hogs are what drives me.  Now, having said that, I really couldn’t care any less about the size of the rack or the weight of the bear or boar.  It is the challenge of hunting any animal that has survived so long that it has reached a level of intelligence that makes him nearly impossible to hunt that drives me.  I like matching wits and don’t mind a bit getting out matched by these awesome animals. My ability to eat regular helpings of humble pie would serve me well over the next three years.

From the very beginning I knew there was something different about this hog. Sure he was a giant but I quickly came to realize that he had been pressured to such a state that he wouldn’t ever move in daylight hours.  This was no big deal for me. I had hunted this kind of hog before, but what happened over the first several months taught me that everything I had learned in nearly 40 years of hog hunting might not be enough to outwit this paranoid porker.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
I began by trying to simply find entry points into the jungle he called home.  There were several sections in excess of 3-4 acres where even crawling in was next to impossible. This area contained the thickest mix of privet, kudzu and briars I have ever seen.  Even getting up through the canopy to place a stand was difficult, and when you did break through, you had to chop a hole to shoot down through it.

I began by attempting to hunt the hog on trails, but there simply was no way to approach his bedding areas without making noise.  Even if it were possible, most of the locations wouldn’t even allow you to stand to shoot, much less draw a recurve bow. I placed a bait or two and thought that he would certainly come in.  Wrong again.  Well-worn trails would go dormant as soon as bait was placed. It was evident that the memory of his near miss human encounters was going to make this extremely difficult. I became aware of his extreme aversion to anything human related as I walked down a sandy creek bed one morning.  I picked up his huge tracks and followed them as he approached a bait station. Thirty yards from the bait his tracks showed that he had become aware of the feeder ahead and had milled around a moment.  The tracks then climbed out of the creek bed and circled around the bait and then reentered the creek only to continue away.  I stood looking at the tracks in disbelief knowing that this was not a normal hog and now sure that this was going to be much more difficult than I previously thought.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
Sweet!  Can't wait for the rest of the story.  Not many animals more wary than an old boar.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
At this point, I had yet to even get the ghost on camera.  I just simply wanted to see what I was dealing with.  He seemed ghost like in his ability to detect cameras and would stop short of the camera view every time.  I had to develop a plan and I knew that cameras near bait sites would never work.  I changed my camera plan to travel routes and I blanketed the area with 10 cameras.  It took a full six months to get him on camera.  I will never forget the first time I laid eyes on that hog. It simply did not seem possible that a hog could be this big. I gave him the nickname Kong. It sure seemed to fit.   At first, his reaction to being caught on camera could be described as explosive.  The trailcam set in video mode captured violent reactions.  In time, the sheer number of cameras in the area made it impossible for him to travel and not be recorded and after several months he began to ignore them.

I quickly discovered that there was never a pattern to his movement as far as trail usage but he did travel between the hours of 11PM and 4AM.  He would enter the back yards of several families and wreak havoc in gardens and lawns.  I knew that the only way to have a possible opportunity at him would be on a food source.  I hunted apple trees in season, white oaks and others but it was impossible to pattern him.  I then came up with an idea that turned things around.  I took feeders and suspended them as high as 20 feet up into the trees so that he would not see them.  This would change the game and about a year into hunting him, he finally started coming to a feeder.  These early hunts showed me just how unbelievably intelligent this animal was.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 05:16:00 PM »
Kong would circle baits 100% of the time, but I had anticipated this and placed the baits where this was not possible. Using creeks and ravines, I made circling impossible and I hunted on very specific winds.  He countered this by simply coming in and refusing to get closer than 30 yards.  He would approach the bait and simply stop and stand for periods of more than an hour without moving a single step.  I didn’t think an animal of this size could do this but it occurred many times.  It became apparent that if he could not use the wind for protection that he would stand and wait on it to change.  If it would not change to his advantage, he just simply walked away.  This cat and mouse game happened countless times over the next few months.  I spent many all-night hunts in those first two years.  On the occasions that he did detect me, he would emit a deafening roar of disapproval and would leave the area for up to two weeks.  He never once took a chance. Everything seemed calculated.

As the weeks turned into months and he countered every tactic I had, I realized that everything WAS calculated. This hog was thinking.

Ancient Hog Rubs

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
My first time seeing him was an event I will never forget. I had established a bait in a nearly impenetrable area of privet, and I ghosted in a full hour before dark prepared for an all-nighter.  While I was looking at my phone, thirty minutes before dark I sensed something approaching from my right.  I scanned the area and determined nothing was there.  I returned to my phone scanning and my brain reminded me that every other scan to my right did not include a massive black area just 40 yards away.  I snapped my head back up and was stunned to see Kong standing there like a ghost in the swamp.  I was absolutely amazed at his size.  I have seen hundreds of big hogs in my life and this just did not seem possible.  He moved forward a few steps and disappeared from view about 25 yards away.  He stood without moving for nearly an hour until full darkness set in and then started a slow circle.  Once down wind, he let his absolute disdain for my presence be known with a series of roars.  It would be weeks before he would return to the area.

A move of bait stations was needed to get him feeding again, and spring of 2014 found me on the edge of a steep banked creek.  I had chopped a shoot hole down through the thick canopy and waited two full weeks before returning to hunt on a rare East wind.  Kong approached at around midnight, but the unfavorable wind had him pacing back and forth for an hour before he decided to simply leave.  It is difficult to describe how these all-night hunts can be both so much fun and physically demanding at the same time.  There is obviously a danger associated with exhaustion so a strap system is needed to both prevent falling and keep you upright and ready for an encounter.  It also is beneficial if you are borderline crazy.  At 4am I heard the distinctive sound of his heavy breathing just 15 yards away in the inky blackness.  I could tell that he was assessing the danger.  This went on for twenty minutes or more, and then suddenly he simply started walking right to me.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
Note: The photos shown here are from several hundred collected along with countless videos during this three year odyssey.  The times stamps are generally right but the years may have not been set on the cameras.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
I can feel the adrenaline.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
Great story so far.  Keep it coming
PBS  Member

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
These swamps have a jungle like canopy so to tell you it is pitch black would be the understatement of the year. The only possible way to take an ethical shot is to have a lighting system on your bow.  I had experimented with countless designs over the years, but when hunting pressured hogs,  I prefer a red light with a rheostat that allows the light to be dialed up slowly enough that the animal can’t perceive the increase.  In the darkness I could tell that he stood just five or six yards away.  As I slowly turned up the light down through my shooting hole,  I was frustrated that I could only see a massive black hole but no Kong.  Months of effort had gone into this moment and I simply could not see him.  I could hear every breath and could hear him chewing… Where was he?   I dialed up the light a bit more, and suddenly I could see two small white objects on the edge of the black hole.  In amazement I suddenly realized that this “huge black hole” I was staring into was actually Kong’s back, and those white objects were his tusks.  His size at this short range was overwhelming.
It would have been impossible to miss at this short range, but it became apparent that he was facing me.  I certainly could have hit the back of a single lung but there was no way I was going to risk wounding this great animal.  Recovery in this jungle would be near impossible if he did not leave a blood trial. I did not expect a pass through shot from this near straight down angle.  I waited for him to turn for a full 6-7 minutes, but he simply stood like a statue without moving.  I then realized that he was waiting on a wind change.  A minute later, he got it.  I climbed down at daylight and staggered back to the truck.  Depressed and fully aware that it would be weeks if not months before he would return.

Another all-night defeat...

The fall of 2014 had a good acorn crop, and as in years past, Kong took on a gypsy approach to feeding and never returned to a bait site. My sole encounter with him was a single run in under a giant white oak as I walked in to deer hunt.  Winter and early spring was going to be my next chance, and I spent a couple days preparing a site in the thickest area so as to provide him with the greatest security approach.   Several weeks later I check a trail camera and determined that it was time to give it another shot.  I approached the bait site and was disappointed to see that the feeder and everything around the bait site had been destroyed.  It was as if someone had taken a sledge hammer to everything.  The evidence showed that Kong had developed a new and very bad habit of ripping the legs off the feeder, ripping the motor off the unit and crushing the drum.  This happened several times, and I finally resorted to using heavy wire to hold the unit in a large privet bush.  A few weeks later I was perched over the site a full hour before dark with a good wind.  Thirty minutes before dark, I heard a twig snap.  I slowly stood and with bow in hand looked down to see Kong just five yards away staring at the base of my tree.  The problem was the canopy.  It was impossible to shoot down into this tangle without fear of deflection and wounding him.  I had a perfect wind at this point but something told him this was a bad situation and with a roar he was gone.  With a broken spirit, I strapped into the tree hoping he would come back after dark. He never did.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
You have me tuned in jerry   :campfire:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
There were countless encounters like this over the three years of this adventure.  With the exception of guiding my hunters on my hog properties, I pretty much just stopped hunting all other hogs.  I felt like a werewolf prowling around all night.  My girlfriend (being used to my crazy hunting antics after 14 years together) would just smirk at me as I crawled in defeated after each all-night defeat.  As crazy as it may sound, I loved every single minute of this game.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
I just called my wife, Ill be late for taking her out to dinner for her birthday.....
go on.....
David M. Conroy

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
I would have several encounters with him over the next few weeks and while he never knew for sure that I was there he seemed to always sense me.  Standing one to two hours, just yards away in the darkness before walking away.  Everything changed on February 8, 2015.  

I would be guiding hog hunters in another area the following day, but I decided that the SW wind would be good for another try.  I got to the stand site to find that Kong had crushed everything again, but my pack contained everything to get it back in service.  He had been coming to this site just 20 minutes after dark, and to be quite honest I fully expected a quick encounter that would be a repeat of countless other nights where this awesome hog beat me up again.  On cue, I could hear him coming in with that methodical walk that would always quiet to a ghost like approach in the darkness.  He stood for almost an hour before approaching to within 15 yards.  He stood another 20 minutes in total silence before starting his customary circle to get my wind.  This time, however; his circle would carry him much closer to the tree on the downwind arc. This would prove to be a fatal mistake on his part.

When he was at seven yards and directly down wind, he stopped and breathed deeply.  I held my breath and after a few minutes he continued his circle.  When he reached the upwind side it occurred to me that my three year wait was about to provide the long awaited shot opportunity.  All I had to do was make it count.
Even at 5 yards the full canopy and darkness of the night prevented me from seeing him.  I strained for any sign of him and suddenly he appeared in my shooting hole at four yards.  

Offline JDow3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
Man alive I'm on the edge of my keyboard!!  Great story telling Jerry.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
The stand tree can be seen in the above photo.

The lower limb of my Black Widow recurve bow was tucked into my boot and while my light was on it was set at its lowest setting.  He was very slightly quartered to me but at 4 yards with a sixteen foot elevation the shot was certainly doable.  I then told myself that unless he gave me a perfect broadside shot, I would let him walk away.  He had given me so much adventure over the last three years that there was simply no way I was going to let this story end with wounding him or having him suffer.  He stood without changing positions for about 7 minutes, and I took the time to just simply take in the moment.  His size was amazing and the strangest feeling began to overcome me.   I knew that there was simply no way I could miss him at four yards, and I wanted this moment to last.  The longer he stood there without giving me the perfect shot, the longer we would still be playing this game.  Call me crazy if you like, but I was almost sad that it was about to be over.
He finally changed his posture and I knew that he was dropping his guard.  He took a step forward and pulled his leg forward fully exposing his vitals. As I pulled the bow to full draw, I noticed a quarter sized spot of mud right where I needed to arrow to go.  A second later my lighted nock appeared on that spot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©