3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HH Big Five  (Read 370 times)

Offline grump

• Trad Bowhunter
HH Big Five
« on: February 19, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I was wondering what would be a fair price for a Howard Hill Big Five [email protected] in what appears to be very good condition.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HH Big Five
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
I have seen them go for anywhere from $250 to $350.The used bow market is up and down.I have seen shorter Hill's hard to sell.How long is it and does it have a serial number on it?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
I would expect to pay anywhere from approximately $300-$425 (USD) depending on the age and actual condition.  Bows that are very close to new and/or have other upgrades like ebony, tip overlays of horn/antler etc will of course be higher on that spectrum.  Bows that are well used and older will be on the lower end.  Craig Ekin at Howard Hill Archery can check the serial number for you if the owner doesn't know the age of the bow.  He did the same for me via email on a RedmanI recently acquired.  The numbers I mentioned are just what I have observed in general, not some hard and fast rule.  It's case by case.  If its a very fancy Big5 that's only a few months or a year old seller may want more and get it.  The draw weight is desirable.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
It seems that lately there is a push to make everything more expensive.  Bid low.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
On a HH bow, I would pay no more than half its price when new...but condition, length, weight and type grip affects my offer.
Lon Scott

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
With the rash of new cheap imported bows from China/Korea, quality used domestic bows (like Hills) are getting harder to sell at fair prices.  

A new Big Five (and other 4-lam Hills) with no 'frills' sell for about $625 shipped.  A 'very good condition' used bow of this type would suggest that it is in like-new working condition with only minor cosmetic marks/wear (including the string) and no deep surface or finish  dents or scratches, and with the original or equivalent leather rest/sideplate. IMO, a reasonable price range for such a bow would be $375-$450 which includes insured shipping in CUSA.

Sure they cost more than a Chinese import, but you generally get what you pay for.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
If you end up getting it, I think you'll really like it. I have a Wesley, my first Hill bow, and I'm hooked on them already. If it were my only bow, it would still be fine with me.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©