3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree stand safety harness?  (Read 557 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Tree stand safety harness?
« on: February 20, 2015, 04:17:00 AM »
Is the Lone Wolf 6 point safety harness a decent one that comes with my Alpha Tech F1 stand? Or is there a much safer and better one that can be recommended? Looking to be safe as possible while up off the ground.   :D
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree stand safety harness?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
I like the HSS  vests.. easy to put on and effective

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with the Lone Wolf harness.  They're all safe if you wear them. After that, it's s matter of comfort and convenience.  Some may be a little more comfortable or convenient to put on than others, etc.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
The harness that came with the stand will function, but will be will be less convenient and comfortable than a higher end harness.  If you hunt treestands a lot, the nicer harnesses are worth it.  I like the Summits Seat of the Pants models and have an HSS lightweight that is pretty nice.  I think the newer HSS are also USA made; don't know about the new SOP models.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
IMO you want a safety harness that has d rings or loops to attach a line mans belt. Especially the way you are planning to hunt.
 I think you will find getting a good seat of the pants, spider, etc harness will not only be better but also more comfortable and more functional. The harness will actually become a valued tool that helps you rather than a safety item you wear because you have to.
 For store bought  lineman belts lone wolf makes the best. For a great lineman belt check my videos.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
I'll second LB hntr linesmans belt. His safety video is excellent and shows you just how easy it is to always stay connected to the tree no matter what using his variation of the linesmans belt.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by warden415:
X2..I love mine!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
Seat of the pants for hanging stands and got a HSS Ultralite for hunting both are nice. Good luck.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by KyStickbow:

Originally posted by warden415:
X2..I love mine! [/b]
X3. I have the Hunter Safety Systems UltraLite Flex. Great harness. Add the lifeline w/prussic and it's as safe as they come.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
Another HSS fan here
SWA Spyder

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and tips. I went ahead and ordered an HSS system to go with my stand.   :thumbsup:

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
Glad you found a system you will like.
 This next part I only say because in a different post you mentioned that you were going to hike in, hunt, and hike out taking the stand in and out with you each hunt. If that is the case you will still need a harness that has d rings or loops for a linesman belt.
 A like line or tether will not work. See the life line or tether only works for stands that stay in one spot all season. You still need a linesman belt to hang any stand. The tether is only good once the stand is set up and stays up.
 I'm not nor would I ever knock a tether, but a tether is only a tool for stands that stay all year in one spot. The lineman belt is the only safe way to hang a stand. The lineman belt is the most important tool for hanging a stand. IMO a lineman belt and a harness that has d rings or loops for a lineman belt is mandatory equipment for anyone that hunts from a tree.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
Ok, I cancelled my order for the HSS system  and am now looking at the SOP harness. Makes sense what you are saying. I am planning on carrying the stand with me in and out and will not be leaving it overnight. And I will use a lineman's belt as safety is my number one concern.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
I ordered the Summit Seat-O-The Pants Fastback harness. Now got to work on getting some Lone Wolf climbing sticks.   :D

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
You will like the SOP. Make sure it has the horizontal chest strap to keep the shoulder straps pulled in place. Great design, and it has the loops for a lineman's strap/belt/rope for hanging stands or steps, etc. Just tie off on the tree HIGH, KEEPING AN ALMOST-TAUGHT ROPE UPON SITTING IN YOUR CLIMBER WHILE HUNTING.

Hunt safe.
CoilSpring

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »
Since you're going to be hiking in, setting your stand and hunting each day, I thought I would share with you a system of doing it which works great. I use this system when I'm hunting public land and it's slick! Only one trip up the tree and you're hunting! Also, I make sure my harness has the lineman's belt and a back tether. Before I step onto the stand, I connect my tether above the stand while my lineman's belt is attached below the stand. I unclip the lineman's belt and step on the stand, so I'm never unconnected to the tree while climbing.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Thanks Dennis! Having never done this, that video was a great instructional and gives me a starting point on what to do. Very much appreciate that!

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131634#000004

Wannabe, check out this thread. This set up is great.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
I don't even take out of the bags the harnesses that come with stands. They are too easy too tangle. I'm sure they are plenty safe, millions of $s in liability ride on em.

I like the very light weight harnesses by Spyder, etc. I'm not a fan of the vest harnesses even though I started with those. I don't want to spoil my attempts to "match the hatch" with my camo pattern by covering it with a vest. Seriously, in early seasons the vests add heat to my set up that I don't want.

Offline Shotkizer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
Ditto on having a harness that has linesman loops. To me it is a must.  The Summit SOYP will be great for you!   I personally use a Black Diamond Momentum with D loops sewn in.  I like it better because it's ultra light, it limits my fall to no more than foot or so, it allows an easy recovery back to my stand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©