3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Randy Dehnel  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
Randy Dehnel
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
I just heard that Randy Dehnel of Saxon Archery has passed away . Can anyone confirm ?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Randy Dehnel
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
While I can't confirm as absolute fact, I did read on another site yesterday that he has passed, and that the poster learned this from a Facebook post.Sounds real to me.

About 10 days ago read a post from Randy's grandson. He was saying that he and his father were going to be building bows, with Randy's designs and equipment. He sounded like a good guy (the grandson).

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
The odd thing is, I just received on Wed a used Saxon bow I bought from Ted Fry. I was shooting it out in the bitter cold yesterday (could not wait for good weather) and marveling what a fine bow it is and what a fine bowyer Randy was. Then I find out he has passed. God's peace upon his family.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
Glad to share my connection here.

Some 16 or so years ago, in the first couple of years of my archery path, I bought my young daughter one of Randy's youth bows, so we could share enjoying bows together. I don't remember much in talking to Randy back then, only that the ordering was easy, and he was helpful in the process.
I shot that little bow from time to time myself, and always marveled how sweet it was. If I had had money back then for a custom bow, the Saxon's were one of my few top picks.
Would still love to shoot one.

Well my daughter is grown now, and archery isn't one of her interests, so a couple of years ago I traded it to another fellow here on TG, who was very happy to get that bow for his own daughter. And I ended up with my first (still only) back quiver. Since come to realize it's a very fine Nate Steen, with a special touch I discovered after a while; a piece of bearskin in the bottom, over the stiff leather.

Sorry for rambling and getting a little drifty here - just thinking how the circle goes around within our connections.

I wish Levi (Randy's grandson) and his dad all the best. Might yet get to shoot a Saxon bow!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
RIP Randy   :archer:

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I spoke to Randy several times on the phone, really nice guy. I was a dealer for his bows for a couple of years, his "Hawk" series bows were works of art.

Prayers for the family and may Randy rest in peace.

Pat
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
My first store bought bow was a Saxon,I still have it.My condolences to Randy's family.
Leland

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Never met him but I have owned four of his bows and one of them was a Hawk Recurve. It was a wonderful piece of craftsmanship. Some if not the best I have ever seen. Every one of his bows I have owned were really great bows and I have always recommended them.
God bless his family and RIP Randy.

Steve

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
RIP, Randy. I always wanted one of his bows but never placed the order. I hope all the guys that own one keep them with care.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
I owned a #65 Saxon American Recurve.  I bought it used and knew very little about it.  I got Randy's phone number and he was more than happy to fill me in on any questions I had and then some.  I talked with him a handful of times and he was always happy to talk traditional archery.  From what I gathered, he seemed like a great person. I believe he had a hand in the development of a very popular small longbow baring the name of a burrowing rodent-like animal.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
I killed my first trad deer with a saxon longbow.

and killed 2 bucks last season with my saxon recurve.

even killed some fish with it.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 05:16:00 PM »
Nice. Is that An American recurve ? The bow I just got is made by Randy but is marked "Wisemans Frontier" on one limb and "Grizz" on the other. Must be some outfitter or outdoor store he made a few bows for under their name. Wish I could find out whichever.I think it's actually an American with a bit different layup in the handle. I have an American Longbow, a Mongoose LB and a Kadiak in addition to my new acquisition. Randy was a truly great craftsman.The Lord's Peace to his family.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
yes , its the American .

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
I owned one of Randy's Longbows. Great all around bow! Sorry to hear of his passing.   :(

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
This really hurts,Randy helped me out when I first started building bows 20yrs ago with lots of advice and also supplied me with materials,he was always very nice,sad.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 05:06:00 AM »
WOW just seeing this now!  My Buddy was a dealer for Saxon at traditional archery supply and I'm not sure he even knew.. I have Randy's original stave horse he built by hand for making self bow's when he first started his business it came with all these home made jigs and stuff I have no idea what he used them for but now its more special to me..  to this day me Personally I have yet to find a bow that looked as nice and shot as nice has Randy's Hawk recurve "T/D".

Prayers for Randy and his family and friends,, RIP.
"Us vs Them"

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 05:50:00 AM »
Randy built a great bow and was always a pleasure to talk to.  Although I never met him in person, through the years we visited a number of times on the phone.  He was always helpful and a fun guy to visit with, he had a great sense of humor. I have owned seven of his bows from the Longbow Elites, the American Series Longbow, and  I even had a Shrike he had made. I still have two of his bows. His workmanship was excellent and he will surely be missed.  My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
I agree on all points made about Randy and his ability as a top bowyer.  I have one of his plain Jane Saxon American recurves 58" and 64# @ 28".  A great little bow that really exemplifies Randy's talent as a bowyer.  My condolences to the family.

Offline skitterwalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
Mr Dehnel is the reason I am here. I was getting back into archery and my sister said she'd sell me her Saxon Mongoose. I'm new to traditional archery so I had to do some research ( a lot here). Almost EVERYTHING I read was good stuff. So, last week I traveled through horrible weather to shoot it and  buy it (and shoot with my family. I fell in love with it! I cant believe that I own such a sweet shooting bow. The work definitely praises the laborer. My sister bought a Saxon for her kids when they turned 21. I wish I could tell him how much I love his bow. [/url] [/IMG]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©