3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tab or Glove?  (Read 506 times)

Offline RBO21

• Trad Bowhunter
Tab or Glove?
« on: February 20, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
I've been shooting a recurve casually for a couple years now, but I am getting more serious about hunting with it now.  I have been shooting with a tab, but want to try a glove.  Before I do, I would like to see what others are using and why.  Any help is appreciated.
ZJF
Wild Horse Creek Kestrel T/D 60" 48lbs
Wild Horse Creek Mariah 54" 50lbs

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tab or Glove?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
this may be helpful.  Just know that some people drive ford, some drive chevy.  Both serve their purpose and neither one is the superior.  

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=142540;p=1#000000

To answer your question,

I use a glove.  I have tried a tab twice and I just can't get the anchor I want with my tabs.  It MAY give a smoother release, but I personally like my fingers being completely covered.  I also like a thick glove.  I am shooting the black widow stick-tite
(https://blackwidowbows.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=459) and absolutely LOVE IT.  It has a much higher quality leather than my previous gloves.  I also got mine with the nylon on the finger tips and I believe that makes it even better.  

I hope this helped.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
I don't hunt with people who use a glove.  They're unreasonable and not to be trusted.

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Kustom King speed glove

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
I think it is a matter of what you like and prefer to use.I started out shooting a glove and later a tab.But tried a SAM tab and didn't care for it.But my Bateman cordovan tab is all I shoot with now.Long lasting and get a slick release.Tried a glove a couple of more times after going to a tab even the Big Shot,3Rivers Duraglove,didn't really care for a glove anymore.For me it's a tab all the way!

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
American Leathers big Shot Crossover. Although not cheap they wear like  iron. Mine is going on three ears and still looks almost new. I switched to the crossover from the standard big shot. Both are good gloves and last. John will go the extra mile to make sure the glove fits and made to your liking.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
I like a tab for the convenience of being able to wear fleece gloves with it in cold weather. However, both work well, making it simply a matter of preference.
Sam

Offline Oldbow KY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
Been shooting a tab for 40yrs. Make my own out of Cordovan leather ( this is a leather from the butt of a horse ) slick and gets better with age.

The key is to trim it even with your fingers when  they are curled on the string and not wider than your 3 fingers. I like "O" rings for the finger loop but elastic and cord work also.

Takes time too switch keep at it.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

West KY Trad Gang Board
Supper Shrew Golden 56"- 48#
Dwyer, Endeavor 58"-44#
Black Creek Banchee 38#
Bear T/D "A" 56", 50# fish bow

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
I also have a Bearpaw Speed glove, and it's very well made, it has nylon fingertips. But I do get a better deep hook with my cordovan tabs.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
I use a Fivics simple cordovan tab with leather palm plate and rubber spacer.  It cost about $27.  Used a Wilson cordovan tab before that. Works for me, even with a thin glove on.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
I shoot better with a tab... that said, I prefer a damascus glove for hunting. I find the glove better when using binoculars and fishing in my pockets, etc. The tab gets in my way.

I agree that the tab can be worn over gloves, but I just cut part of the fingers of an old cotton glove and the damascus glove works fine.

Part of the fun though is the journey... so, whatever works best for you.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
I shoot right handed and left handed with a variety of gloves and tabs...my preference is for whatever I grab at the moment...come hunting season I start out with a tab when it is warmer and then switch to a glove as the weather cools...this fall I am going to be hunting two finger split...I already have a tab I modified for shooting right handed that way and am going to modify one soon for shooting left handed

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline RBO21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Thank you for all the feedback.  I will just have to try a glove out and see if I like it better than the tab.  I just didn't know if there was a big advantage to one over the other in a hunting scenario.
ZJF
Wild Horse Creek Kestrel T/D 60" 48lbs
Wild Horse Creek Mariah 54" 50lbs

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Tab for me, no real reason other than my arras fly better due to a seemingly cleaner release. To each its own, both have advantages and disadvantages.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline sticks&stringz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
I like to use a custom 3 under tab with a wrist cord.gloves seem to bulky and I can't ever get a consistent anchor.
browning medallion 38#@28
carsage 45#@28
superjet 45#@28
homemade/custom ilf bow 45-50#@28

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
I hunt mostly spot and stalk and a tag just doesn't work.  I crawl around and trying to get the tab on in a hurry is too slow.  Also, the glove helps protect my hand.  I get the 3 finger variety and put a wool glove over that.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Etter:
I don't hunt with people who use a glove.  They're unreasonable and not to be trusted.
Exactly!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Personal preference. ..

Glove for me ...never could get due to fiddling with a tab and can't keep up with one.....use a glove....figured if it was good enough for HH...

Find what you like n run with it
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
A tab. I leave it on and flip it from the front to the back of my hand whin I need to use me fingers no problem. Can wear it over a fleece glove.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
I use both, usually go with the tab for hunting for when it gets cold a thin wool liner glove works well. My fingers get to cold and loose feel with just the leather stalls on a glove when COLD.

If you try the glove give it a few weeks before deciding on it.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©