3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Watco oil durability..?  (Read 420 times)

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
Watco oil durability..?
« on: February 20, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
Too cold to be outside so it's arrow makin' weather. I have some fir shafts and some Watco oil stain. I'm wondering if they will need something over the stain or will the Watco stand up to the elements?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Watco oil durability..?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
Watco is almost all I ever use for arrows.  Works well for me, but I am NOT picky.
ChuckC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
I've changed my arrow making a lot the last few years. I used to make them all as if I planned on losing them in a rain forest during the monsoon season. I don't waste my time or resources anymore. I sometimes wipe stain on. Then 1 coat of shellac to fill the grain a bit, 2 coats of tung oil for protection and 2-3 coats of paste wax after the feathers are glued on to make them easier to pull. I don't hunt in down pours and if I did, my arrows would still be fine for 4-5 hours. It take s along time for water to get through any sealer. I learned a lot by trying a myriad of finishes on my bows.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
There is the interior stain and the outdoor external wood surfaces Watco oil.  The external variety is the best stuff there is for things like my wood on my canoes.  The interior variety can withstand a lot. If you think it is wearing a bit, give it light coat and it will be ready to go once that tries.  It takes a while to dry, but I think that it is better than some polly finishes.

Offline Airdale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
I second what Pavan said.  I use the Watco exterior on the wood gunnels, decks and cane seats  on my canoe.  If I use the canoe a lot I steel wool the wood and wipe another coat on. That would be 1 coat in April and a second in Aug if needed. The trim has held up well and the effort is wayyyy less than traditional Spar Varnish. Nothing looks better though than real Spar Varnish.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
This is the dark walnut interior stain. It really makes the grain in the fir shafts look great. Guess I'll just wipe on a couple more coats and then some tung oil and call it good.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
I use watco Danish oil on my doug fir arrows, normally two or three coats, then a poly over that...

I have lost arrows and found them a year later...still straight. Feathers gone..tips totally rusted...but still straight.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Thanks Russ, I might have some poly around here too so maybe I'll go with that over the watco.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 02:18:00 AM »
I've used watco oil on fir shafts. Only problem I had was shooting them a lot into a foam target it would start to wear down the section that penetrated. No big deal I just wiped a bit more on every now and then. I'm no master arrow builder though, just built a few dozen to get a feel for it mostly use aluminums.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©