3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold weather camping - tent  (Read 1173 times)

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Cold weather camping - tent
« on: October 04, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
I'm thinking about doing some camping this winter. going through my camping gear I got curious.

Here in kansas we rarely get extreme cold usualy down in the teens and only for a couple days at a time. I see most people using canvas wall tents for cold weather camping....why? would aregular tent work?...why or why not?

I have a pretty large two room tent that I use for fall when I go fishing just not sure I want to get out in the snow/cold wind and find out my tent aint cuttin it.

I read about warm weather tents, 2-3 season tents...4 season tents.....hows one to find out what kind of tent I have...I'm trying to find a pic of my tent online...I will keep looking...

BTW I have the bag, bag liner, and cot all ready...a heater in the tent really scares me. We had a boyscout leader around here die on a scout trip from fumes from burning a heater in the tent.....my tent does not allow me to use a stove so what kind of heater for inside a tent...something very very very safe.

here's my tent 13X10' except my rain fly comes down a little further ...almost covers the windows....it also has a little 4x3 tarp in front of the doors

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold weather camping - tent
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
When I go cold weather camping, I always use a small two person tent.  If you have a good bag and pad you don't really need to worry about heat.  You can always use a candle lantern suspended from the ceiling if you want a little heat though.  I stay away from heaters, even the fumeless ones.  That's just me though.  Condensation is sometimes a problem but I generally don't get too cold.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
I have a 4 season marine issue tent. (2 man) To sleep in and a large 2 season to hang out in and keep my gear and cooking stuff in and dry. I also have a little coleman black cat propane heater that will warm things up in a little tent fast. I just light it up for a little before bed.I always take a carbon tester incase needed.a 4 season tent will have a rain/wind fly that goes to the ground and full zipper up windows
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
One trick I learned is to use two tents.  I pitched a cabin tent, 10X12 or so, and then pitched a dome tent inside of it to sleep in.  It is amazing how much body warmth that will capture.

Dennis

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
that is straight up summer tent Jeff. Last nov. my son and I had a tent like that set up and we slept in the back of the truck with a little shell. A blow up matress and - 30 bags.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
ks
If the two girls in the picture camp with you, you will stay warm don't you think?
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by geno:
that is straight up summer tent Jeff. Last nov. my son and I had a tent like that set up and we slept in the back of the truck with a little shell. A blow up matress and - 30 bags.
Leak like crazy?

Legolas

dang I think they may be a tad young....

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
Cabela's Alaknak with a wood stove makes a toasty shelter in winter. I've got two canvas wall tents I use- one with a stove port.  

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Aeronut:
One trick I learned is to use two tents.
Absolutely right!  Something small for sleeping inside something large for shedding wind and stashing gear.  A great combo!

The tent in the pic won't provide much warmth: too large and breezy.  If you've got the room to pack that, though, you've got the room for a couple sleeping bags: I've always found a couple summer bags to be warmer than a winter bag.

If you need a tent - and I've spent a good bit of time sleeping in freezing weather without one - anything is a help.

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
as far as bags go I use a couples bag (can't stand being stuffed in a single..to small) and a fleece liner. I know if can handle freezing weather.

I went to a 3d shoot with a buddy during the day it was inthe 40's but at night it cooled down alot....well I fogot my sleeping bag...ended up having to go to wally world and buy the fleece liner...I've used it inside my bag and it's keeps me very warm in cool temps....just not sure what a canvas tent has over a regular tent...I guess the canvas can keep the warmth in better.....do canvas tents have floors?

I'm not much worried about packing anything as I can drive right up to my campsite, and I'm way to fat right now to hike anywhere...I do have some small one man tents I use when I travel on the motorcycle. But those things are so small if you fart it inflates

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
If you get snow in your area you'll need to take that into consideration.  The weight of snow can accumulate pretty quick and collapse or break a tent that isn't meant for it.  Much of the difference in a 4 season backpacking or mountaineering tent is for snow load and the strength to withstand high winds.  I've been in tents not meant for strong winds.  I was completely surprised that the top of a 5 ft tall tent could be pressed all the way down to my nose as I slept in a low cot.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »
I want a kifaru for cold weather camping.  There's nothing like them.  But man alive they are exspensive!!!!

Offline Alaska Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 01:21:00 AM »
I've used my timberline nylon tent to well below 0.  I used a kerosun heater while I was awake for cooking and heat and shut it off when I went to sleep.  Just keep matches handy for the morning light up.  Keeps the tent toasty and drys the socks  and gaiters out.  Once you turn it off the nylon doesn't have much insulative value so it cools off quickly.

I've used the Alakanak to -40 on several occasions. (with the wood heater)  We put down a good layer of spruce boughs to pitch the tent on and stacked boughs and hay bails around the perimeter.  You just have to remember to stoke the fire every couple of hours.  Mostly it's a matter of attitude.  If you suck it up and decide to have a good time, you will.  Did I get cold?  Only in the morning.  I just couldn't bring myself to use a honey bucket in the tent.

The canvas didn't seem to offer any more insulative value than the nylon, But it didn't melt quite so easy from a spark.  The kerosene heater was very easy to light from inside your sleeping bag, but not near the ambiance of a wood stove.

A good sleeping bag, dry long johns and socks and a pair of slippers in the bag with you makes life much better.  I pefer knee high mucklucks for camp slippers so my boots get plenty of time to thaw out and dry.

Enjoy it while you can, you only go around once.
Michael

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 01:58:00 AM »
I have an alaknak 12x12 - it has a floor; but there is a zippered part to expose the dirt: to put your wood stove on. I also have dome tents and wall tents.

To me; there are 3 kinds of tents; those you carry into where you will camp; those you haul from the pack animal or truck a few feet and set up.. and can not stand up in; and those you haul in however... and can stand up
in.    

I like the kind I can put a woodstove in; and so I can dry out boots and clothes overnight- and with a camp table you can cook inside and just plain enjoy the hunt. And be able to stand up in.              

I am the number one fan of tent that lets you stand up and has a woodstove for heating.      

If the tent in the picture is the one you have; and you set up a dome tent in it; and do not have a stove- I would suggest a sleeping bag cover.                                    

A good sleeping bag cover is made of canvas; it has a flap that goes from the feet area up to your head area; and goes under the two flaps that cover you. I would suggest that; and a good foam pad. With a sleeping bag in that set up; I have spent comfortable nights in -30 weather.

If you do get a tent with a woodstove; I suggest you find a big ( as big as the stove will hold) rock; and put it on the stove. It will heat up from the woodstove; and keep the tent warm until wakeup time.                      

I do not suggest putting a woodstove in the tent above; even a gas lantern can eat up the oxygen in a tightly made tent!!!!

In my tent; you will see my sleeping bag and cover ( the foam pad is kept inside the sleeping bag cover) laying on a cot. If you use a cot without a pad; it probably will be a cold night.
 But; the cot and pad ( I have used horse pads and blankets with success) and sleeping bag cover: will be the best night you spend in the woods.

Don't put a heater in the tent above!! But really give a serious consideration to a sleeping bag cover; and a thick pad.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 03:55:00 AM »
A good sleeping bag is made by wiggys  ;) !!!  The saying dam hot at 40 below isnt far from the truth!

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 04:04:00 AM »
Another little trick with your sleeping bag is, if you have a mummy style bag, don't zip it all the way up to your chin. Leave it undone about six inches. This will stop the bellows effect that you get when you breath and your chest rises and falls. If you have it done right up, breathing will push warm air out and pull cold air in. If you leave it open slightly, you're still covered with the bag but the warm air stays put.
Graham

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »
A neat trick I read about is to put some of the cheap chemical hand warmers inside your sleeping bag if its too cold.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 07:08:00 AM »
If you are camping without a heater, make sure your bag is good and also make sure you have a good pad.  Do not try to sleep on an inflatable bed or a cot without a pad below you.  There will be nothing to keep you from getting cold from below.  When you lay down in a sleeping bag, all the insulation on the bottom is compressed rendering it pretty much useless as far as insulation goes.  If you don't have a nice pad below you, you are going to have a miserable night no matter how good your bag is.

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Growing up we used to camp in the western Md. area  during the winter. Some of it near Camp David.
  The two most important things we learned were #1 never use a cot. It allows too much cold air underneath. #2 the last thing you should do before tucking in for the night is strip down to your birthday suit put on fresh dry underwear and whatever else you want to wear to bed.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
I use a smaller wall tent in the winter ( 8 by 10 ) and a little air tite wood stove I made. It will hold coals till around midnight and I relode it when I answer the call.

I like a cot but be sure to add a therma rest under your bag for insulation, the therma rest will lay just perfect in the cup of a rolla cot.
I also made a canvas cover for my down bag. A 12oz canvas cover with a zipper down one side adds 5 to 10 degrees to your sleeping bags rating and will protect your expensive bag.

My permanate winter camp has a platic tarp about 6 inches above the canvas wall tent, this lets the snow slide off and never puts a strain on the tent frame. I turn one corner of the tarp back away from the stove chimmney when in camp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©