3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new mexico elk hunting questions  (Read 307 times)

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
new mexico elk hunting questions
« on: February 21, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
First of all never hunted elk anywhere. Was wondering if its a draw or over the counter. Is it hard to draw there?  Any info is geeatly appreciated.  Thanks

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new mexico elk hunting questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
hard hard draw for the good areas.  im probably going to put in again this year but ive never got a tag.  if you want a trophy bull though, applying is the only way.

if you want a great elk hunt on a more certain basis, co, id, and montana have guaranteed tags.  wy will have leftovers.  and there are good elk there as well.  not trying to discourage you from new mexico (unless your applying where I am lol), just letting you know its a hard tag to get
is it September yet??

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
NM is a waste of money! IMHO
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
Check out NM landowner tag.  Not sure how that works but I'm sure it will cost.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
A landowner tag is a guaranteed lic on the draw you have a 20% chance to draw.     Widow

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
NM does not have a bonus point system, pure lottery. I won't be putting in till I'm ready to draw. I'd look at Colorado. Or some of the spike bull /cow hunts on the limited entry units in Utah
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
All elk are draw, except for landowner tags.  Non-residents are limited to, I think, under 15% of the available tags, and most of those go to folks who say they will use guides.  Pretty tough to draw.  But unlike some states you don't have to purchase, or at least not keep, the license part of the package if not drawn (you get your money back minus a draw fee).  Some good hunting, usually good weather, and a few nice bulls.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©