3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHORT guys and LONG bows......  (Read 1019 times)

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
SHORT guys and LONG bows......
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
This is an offshoot from a comment I received in a "which" bow thread posted by another member.

I'm 5'8" and have always favored short tip to tip bows.  I am a stationary bowhunter through and through either hunting turkeys or whitetailed deer from a ground blind or a tree stand.  For both applications I need a bow that is maneuverable and I need to not have to worry about the tips hitting anything as I prepare for the shot and make the shot.  

I've shot a lot of longer bows and while I shoot them well standing in the yard I have concern that I won't be comfortable with them in a treestand or ground blind.  I understand that a solution for this is to cant the bow.  I CAN cant the bow to shoot but it's not my natural tendency to cant very much...typically I cant maybe 5 degrees off center.  When I choose to cant the bow a lot more I'm still accurate but it's not normal for me and I don't know how good I'd be at it under pressure.

So I assume what I'm going to learn here from you guys is to put myself in more situations during practice that requires me to cant the bow more and thus making it more natural??  

I'd like to hear from more of you shorter stature guys about your LONG bow experiences.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHORT guys and LONG bows......
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
I might (optimistically) be 5'6 in my hunting boots.  I've never hunted with a recurve under 64 and prefer 66.  Recently fooling around with a Northern Mist Hill style I was shooting 68.  I was taught to shoot with classic form (what many guys think is 'target' form) with minimal cant.  I have never had a problem with bow clearance and working around limbs or whatever takes care of itself.  Frankly when you get into a heavy cant situation its generally real close shot distance anyhow, if you see what I mean.  I would advise you not to overthink it.  Sure if you want you can make a conscious effort to change up cant angles when you practice.  If a 4 or6 inch longer bow gives you fits in a tree stand just buy and use a pruning saw.   :)  

R

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
Im also 5' 8" and I shoot a 64" longbow. I actually prefer the longer length bows vs shorter ones. Never really had the length of the bow hinder me in anyway.

I do cant the bow...but not anything extreme.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
Interesting.....Ryan...I tend to do a LOT of thinking, not always to my benefit.  I'll try to open my mind a bit more.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
I guess the question that needs to be asked is why shoot a longer bow with a 25" draw length? There would be no advantage that i could see at all... actually... i see more disadvantages in your case.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
I'm a full 1/4" taller than Ryan (I think)   :D   , I shoot a 64" D/R longbow almost all the time.

Never a prob in treestands, blinds for turkey(which I absolutely hate to be in anyway) are a prob if they aren't tall ones.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
I guess the question that needs to be asked is why shoot a longer bow with a 25" draw length? There would be no advantage that i could see at all... actually... i see more disadvantages in your case.
Can you tell me more about that?  I notice on many bowyers sites that a buyer should choose bow length based on draw length.  I assume this is because a short draw length on a long bow doesn't take much advantage of the limbs ability to do work meaning loss of efficiency because only the distal ends of the limbs are used rather than the "meat" of the limb nearer the riser?????  Something like that?
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
What Kirk said.  Also, if you favor short bows, why mess with it?  I'm 5'9" and draw 26.5".  I get better performance out of my short bows and prefer them for this reason and many of the ones that you mentioned above.

I've shot many 62" & 64" bows but never shot them any better than I do a 56" or a 58".  

I think it's a mental thing in many cases.  I used to believe that a longer bow was more forgiving, smoother, etc., because that is what I heard and read.  While this may be true for some people, and some bow designs, it simply didn't work out that way for me and the type of bows that I shoot.    

Most of it is in the bow design.  Many of today's short, hybrid R/D bows would surprise the heck out of most guys if they would give them a chance.  You just have to get past the "longbows are supposed to be long" mentality.  

I remember when I was shooting a 62" bow almost exclusively and made the mistake of shooting a little 52" Shrew at Kzoo that blew my mind!
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
I'm thinking why shoot a longer bow.....maybe this is a reason. You maybe able to shoot more weight with a longer bow......more mechanical advantage. A 45# bow 56" long will not feel the same as a 45# bow 68" long.......The long one will feel lighter. So you could maybe move up in poundage........or not!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
Throw a 30"+ draw in the equation and see which way you go. Long or short.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
The 25" draw is an important factor in relation to bow design. Most of the magnum bows are designed to be shot with pretty high brace to create more pre-stress in the limbs. A lot of folks don't like the way magnum recurves "stack" as you pass 28 inches, and you really do run out of flex in the limbs around 30" . But at 25" you are getting really good efficiency out most short recurve bows. Conversely, some of the long recurves, 64-66", really deliver a lot of zing with that last inch or two of draw to 28" and really get some energy  out of a 29-30" draw..those tips are efficiently leveraging that string forward. It's like casting in the surf with a 14"rod..timing and a little bit more flex in the tip of the rod makes for amazing casts. I shoot recurves from 52-66", and I wont deny that a 52" bow is so much fun to carry in the woods and sets very light on your lap in a stand or blind. I wouldn't choose to shoot Olympic ranges with one, as they are not going to cast an arrow as efficiently 70 yards downrange.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
I am 5'9" and prefer longbows of 68" length and have a draw length of only 25". I think they pull more smoothly. Granted, I don't need that much length, but I just like it. Oddly, canting the bow has never been an issue for me, even though my natural stance is straight up.

Kirkll, what are some of the disadvantages of the longer bows at my draw length? Don't get too technical with an explanation, because I do not understand much of the mechanics of how the bow works. I have always been driven more by feel and a sense of esthetics. Thanks.
Sam

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by daveycrockett:
Throw a 30"+ draw in the equation and see which way you go. Long or short.
How many 5'8" guys are there that have a 30 inch draw??  I'd be anchoring behind my ear....which I guess is possible.....just not comfortable to me.

Obviously as all can see by my original post and my replies, I am open to learning from ALL of you guys.  Archery is NOT a "one size fits all" sport that's for sure and topics like this really prove it.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
I have had a bowyer shoot with me and he told me to come to anchor and then cant the bow until I was looking down the arrow. Try It. Also there are many bush bows that go to 28 -29 inch draws that are made for blinds. I get a little finger pinch at my 30" draw but only a few shoots with broadheads and I am ready to go. After all I am not walking the range shooting 200 arrows like I do with the longer bow.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
Well sure, draw length is part of it..I draw a true 29.5 (I'm about wide as I am tall, I guess).  A longer bow does not have to be inefficient at shorter draw lengths, though. (you'll read all the time on here about short bows designed for longer draws, the inverse holds true as well).

R

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
I'm 67" and I shoot a 68" longbow (the Vixen), 27" draw length. I think bow design plays a factor. I haven't heard of many people favor shorter ASL style bows, probably a reason. I have owned and shot 58" recurves, 60" R/D's, etc. Physics is physics. Short bows with a longer draw will crowd your fingers more or "pinch". Longer bows with a shorter draw will reduce the working area of the limbs and effect performance potential. As for "stability" thats pretty speculative I think. Bow design (woods, glass, mass, etc) can change a simple design drastically. So, lets put physics behind for now. I don't hunt from stands, but people do with 68"+ bows. Blinds is a different story. Blind size matters of course but I still wouldnt want to hunt in one with a 68" bow unless it was a very large blind. I use brush blinds and a stool and have never had any issue that would have been solved by less bow length. I will say this, the first few times you hold a "bow as tall as the shooter is" it will feel quite long. Over time it tends to shrink and the shorter bows feel like playthings. Different strokes for different folks and everyone has their preferences, but remember, if you ask a bunch of bowyers who build short bows which is better your going to hear why 1,000+ years of archery knowledge is suddenly wrong.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
I'll let you know...Kempf longbow is 58" and being a ground hunter it fits my needs perfectly, like my 56" and 60" recurves.

This fall I'll also be using my 64" Kititinney longbow from my natural blinds and off the Torges seat. When the weather breaks here and I can get out roving I'll get the necessary practice in from kneeling and sitting.

I don't anticipate any problems as the bow will be canted anyway.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
I'm 5'8" as well.....and I have had problems with longer bows. I also can't my bow and although I'm aware of my bottom limb I've made 2 bad shots on deer because I hit my leg one time with the limb of a 60" recurve and just this season hit my limb tip on the tree I was hunting from. In the heat of the moment it's easy to loose track of where your bottom limb is in relation to the tree, stand or your leg, especially if the deer is moving around alot like a rutting buck chasing a doe. I have a 29" drawlength and look for bows 58" and shorter that draw smoothly at my draw. I've got a 56" Elkheart coming soon !    :thumbsup:
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
I'm 5'6" with a "target form 26" draw". I prefer 58" bows. I'm currently having a lot of fun with a 56".  

As has been said above, tree stands are no issue with me. Whether 56" or 62" I adjust my stand to accommodate. But, the ground blind is different. I had to get an extra one to shoot my longer recurves (60"ers) without having to cant.

I'm shooting a pass-around bow that is 62" right now. It is a great bow but I wonder if I'd get more out of it if it were 58".
I don't know if this would be the case or not. I have a few bows with multiple sets of limbs and lengths but none that are the same draw weight and different lengths to compare. Design differences would throw any comparison based  upon bow length (limb length in these cases)

I'm drawn only to recurves.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
I'm 5'2" with my boots on and I like shooting bows at least my height, or say about my height when strung.

They just seem really nice and forgiving, I like the super smooth draw, and I don't care much about the FPS or peak efficiency.

Maybe my favorite bow to shoot was a 64" longbow, or a 66" longbow.

I tend to use shorter bows for hunting cause of needing to fit in a blind (fall asleep too much to climb tres)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©