3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Duiker quiver  (Read 468 times)

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
Duiker quiver
« on: February 22, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Hello,
 I am interested in this quiver. I am afraid it might be more fashionable than useful. I hunt elk in the back country and this thing needs to work and not be in the way. I have all the confidence that it is sturdy and does a wonderful job protecting arrows. My pack is a bison gear lost river and don't know how I will attach it to the pack. There are virtually no pics of people with heavy day packs using the duiker. Will it attach to the pack and not stick up over my head or off the side where it will get hung up in the brush. I really like shooting my bow without a quiver. Whats your thoughts, anyone selling one? Thanks DK

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Duiker quiver
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
It's a side quiver. It's worn on your side slung over your shoulder, not attached to a pack. Worn properly it shouldn't get hung up in brush.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
Give Denny Sturgis Jr. a shout....he has extensive experience hunting with Rod's quivers around the world....with and without a pack.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
I can personally guarantee that anything Rod sells will WORK and not just be a fashion statement.  His gear has been used all over the world by many of the most accomplished archery hunters (like Denny) and can take anything that Colorado can dish out.  His side quivers have D-rings that can be used with a carabiner to attach to any backpack.  I'm assuming you'd be using a backpack with side-compression straps?  If so zero problem.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »
I have used an Arrowmaster with the Bison / Lost River and found that if I make a few alterations, it works fine.  

I just don't sling the quiver over my neck.  I adjust the strap shorter and sling it over the near shoulder, then strap it (twist tie / velcro strap / elect zip tie, whatever depending on whether you want easy removal or not) to the top of the shoulder strap of my pack, then again (or . .  mine has a built in carabiner) at the belt.

I found it quite enjoyable that way.  The pack and the quiver did not have issues that way.

Try it at home on a couple walkabouts, loaded with arrows (but maybe no bow) and walk in the brush to see.
ChuckC

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
I was thinking about buying that quiver, but I ended up getting an Arrowmaster instead. I'm very thankful for the extra size and that pocket I didn't think I'd ever use. I've got half a dozen quivers I haven't touched since the day I got this one.

I've used it with a few backpacks but not that one in particular, advice above jives with my experiences.
Thom

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
I bought and used an Arrowmaster Sidequiver for a couple of trips elk hunting in CO.  As stated above, I used the compression straps to hold it on the side of my pack, it worked fine.  In one application only when I was forcing my way through willow and brush along a creek bottom, I thought it was too noisy, but I was making enough noise any way so it probably would not have mattered.

I do have a photo I think, but my computer is down. If I can figure out how to send a photo to you without the computer I will do that if you want. You can send me your email and I'll try to do it.

I decided to go lighter  so started using a fanny pack that is also a "lid" for my Eberlestock blue widow pack. Then went back to s bow quiver.  I still may go back to a side quiver of sort, was actually considering the Duiker.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Forgot to mention that I will either strap mine right to my PacSeat, or just sling it over the seat straps when I'm heading for a ground blind.  With the D rings and plenty of strap material provided, you shouldn't have any issues figuring out a way to make it work with most packs.

It's a high quality piece of gear and having a large pocket and fletching cover are two features I'm finding it hard to live without.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
I have been using a similar one that a friend gave me called a Dawgware.  No idea if they are still made but similar design and they work great.  I was hiking 7-8 miles a day this past January with one while pig hunting in the thick Georgia swamp and no problems moving around with it.
T ZZZZ

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. Sorry if I offended anyone with my original comment.I am sure it works great.
DK

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
I doubt you offended anyone in the post since most of us recognize there are lots of "useless gadgets" for sale, but look cool.  It just makes sense that you wanted users to give their opinion on their practicality.  

I own a couple of those quivers and use them frequently with packs like the Bison Gear.  They are comfortable to carry, quiet, and allow ready access to arrows.  

BTW, the pouch on the Arrowmaster is very handy, but if you opt for the Duiker I say get that option.

p.s. Those photos of Mr. Havard are great.
Lon Scott

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
Pm sent DK

Steve

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
My Arrowmaster is my go to quiver for hunting. When I am hunting elk, I am often wearing a big pack, and the quiver works around it very well. I have had mine since about 2007 or 2008, and it is still going strong. A very well made, well thought out pack that is made to hunt. I love a traditional back quiver for stumping, but when it gets serious, out comes the Arrowmaster.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©