3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lightening a bow's draw weight????  (Read 401 times)

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
Lightening a bow's draw weight????
« on: February 22, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
I have a friend who has been shooting a bow that's somewhere around 53 pounds at his draw length.  He loves the bow but has found that the draw weight is too heavy for him due to age and wear and tear on his body and has decided to send the limbs to the manufacturer to have the limbs reduced to the 47 pound range.  What is the procedure for this....and what do you think of the idea?  Can this be done for all bows?  I will add that he spoke to the company who built the bow and this is the solution they suggested.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lightening a bow's draw weight????
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »
It can be done as they suggest by sanding the limbs and taking glass off.  All this assumes there is enough glass thickness to allow doing it and leaving he limbs sound and safe.  Sometimes it can't be done if the glass thickness isn't thick enough.  Many times the glass has been reduced as much as can be when the bow was made in order to reach the weight ordered.  The bowyer will know.  Also, the complete bow is needed to do so correctly and to proper tiller it again.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
TOEJ has it right.  Taking six pounds off of 53# is a bit more than 10%, which is about the maximum reduction on most bows.

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
Had Widow take my PSAV from 54 to 49# and it really helped when shooting a lot. Ben Graham took a longbow from 54 to 49 # and it is also great , just shot it this afternoon in the snow. Do not know if all Bowyers keep records , but these worked out well for my bows. Thanks, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
6# should be pretty easy off a longbow, but maybe not so easy off a recurve because the longbow limbs are so much thicker.

If the bowyer says it is OK, then I would not worry about it one bit. I have a longbow that might have more than 25000 shots (or maybe even more) thru it after being reduced 10# in DW.

Bisch

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
I've done this twice.  Take off some width proportional to the % of weight he wants to drop.  Has worked for up to 10% for me.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Floxter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
Jeff Massie took a longbow of mine from 52# down to 45# and it shoots just fine and has had 1000s of shots thru it with no ill effects.
Jack

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »
Thanks guys.....the bowyer had no problem offering to do it, just wanted to hear your experiences with it.  Thanks again.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
For an experienced bowyer to reduce draw weight is just another day at the factory.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©