3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Guess I am all in  (Read 447 times)

Offline JDow3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Guess I am all in
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 12:44:00 AM »
Yep, just did this myself. Sold my compound a couple weeks back. It's all trad or nothing for me and I've never been more excited to hunt.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
Congrats and good luck!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
thumbs up!!
Make a life, not a living

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
never occurred to me to sell my old ones, I laid them on top of the trashcan for the trashman or anyone wanting them. I still have one hanging in the shed, has lots of memories of good bucks taken with it. I think its gonna hang around just for the sentimental value.

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
The "Dyed in the wool guys" like to say, "Fred Bear this and Fred Bear that" but I do remember him promoting and making both. There is nothing wrong with shooting both traditional and modern setups. To me its like owing a rifle and muzzle loader, both are fun to shoot and I don't look down on anyone who prefers one over the other. We need to come together as "Bow Hunters & Archers" My preference is the recurve, but I am not getting rid of the compound because some feel it is the dark side of Archery. As long as you are ethical who should judge you? I have a friend I served with in Iraq who only shoots the compound due to an injury, you all think I am going to stop hunting with him for some close minded nonsense? "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." Ben Franklin
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
You will never shoot a deer with a bow if you are carrying a rifle.  Same goes true with trad / compound / crossbow.  Depends on your wants and desires.

Ummm  I don't think I saw any bashing here, just lamentation over whether to totally change over or not. .

ChuckC

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
still have my compound too. haven't even taken it out of the case in a decade or more.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
I still have my old wood handled Jennings. I think about 1974 or so. I'm surprised the string hasn't dry-rotted of the thing. Quite the contraption in it's day.

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
I'm curious to know....where are you guys selling your older compounds?  I have a Hoyt  that was super high end back in 2001 when I bought it.  Still a fast and accurate bow but I've contemplated selling it.

When you guys were able to sell off your older wheel bows where did you have the most luck?

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
dnurk,

I tried several FB groups and craigslist with lots of inquiries but people always seemed to flake when it came time to getting the wallet out.  I tried word of mouth and not much luck.  I finally sold it by contacting a local archery shop who sent a guy my way.  The really dissapointing thing is that I sold an entire set up (arrows, case, release, etc..) that cost me almost 800 in 2007 new and only got 250 out of it.  If you are thinking about selling.  Get it on the market sooner than later.  Just my experience

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by dnurk:
I'm curious to know....where are you guys selling your older compounds?  I have a Hoyt  that was super high end back in 2001 when I bought it.  Still a fast and accurate bow but I've contemplated selling it.

When you guys were able to sell off your older wheel bows where did you have the most luck?
Just a thought, and with what a lot of folks have invested in their bows I can understand not wanting to give them away, but I've given a lot of archery equipment to kids/young people over the years. Some that probably wouldn't have been able to afford to get into the sport without a little help. If you're gonna take a big loss on it anyway, why not turn it into something positive?

Bob

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Congrats on your decision...

A true hunter GIVES advantage to his quarry...there is not a lot of honor in TAKING advantage...

:campfire:
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Michael Salter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
I've never owned a compound but have shot several that a friend owns and uses for hunting. Never could hit anything with them. When I made the archery jump, I went directly to a recurve. It just felt right and I love shooting mine. I just keep stepping further and further back with technology because before I went to the bow I had been hunting for many years with an old-fashioned early 1800's style flintlock.
"The trouble with normal is it only gets worse." Bruce Cockburn

60" Bear 'Black Bear' recurve @ 50lbs
60" PSE 'Stalker' take-down recurve @ 45lbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©