3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: P.B.S. Membership Hog Hunt  (Read 803 times)

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: P.B.S. Membership Hog Hunt
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Randal, thanks for sharing a great story. Sure got your moneys worth out of that arrow!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
The assault on "Hell Island" I sank deep!!!

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
Keep it coming Sean   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
working into the wind I slowly made my way to the interior of the island.  The island consisted of 6' reeds that were very dense. There were open spot were the hogs would wallo. I got into 3 big hogs.  I would stalk to about 10 yrds, as soon as I put tension on the string, they ran off about 30 yrds, then stop and start rooting again.  Then I'd get close only to have either a head on shot or no clear shot.  This went on for about an hour and a half, until the hogs had enough and ran off for good. That was worth the trip right there!!

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
Jimmy Bell, shot a big 200 lb sow. Everyone got into hogs that afternoon.  We got Jimmys sow loaded onto the Jeff's boat and we sat down for a much needed dinner.  The weather was perfect as far as I was concerned.  We've had temps in the teens and single digits all winter long, so the southern nights were a refreshing break.  The aching muscles  set in, but it was worth it.

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
The next morning we started the day off with scrambled eggs, pancakes and elk steaks....the breakfast of champions!!  

My hip boots were still soaked inside, Jeff offered up is knee boots which were a size too small.  But I didn't care, I wanted to hunt!!

Paul and I decided to stay on the island and hunt the dyke.  It ended up being an 8 mile trek!!  I really couldn't go far into the marsh with the knee boots, so I had hoped to catch a hog out on the dyke, or just off of it. No such luck!!

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Jeff asked us to be in by noon, we came staggering in at 1215!! My feet were throbbing, I had quarter sized blisters on the balls of my feet!!  After lunch we all split up. Paul hunted the dyke, the Bell brothers hunted Hell Island and I hunted a hammock next to camp.

Walking on the dry island I came across a 6 or 7 ft black racer.    I could hear hogs rooting in the marsh around the hammock, but none showed until just before dark. I had a few piglets come into about 5 yards from me. I decided to pass.  It was still an exciting day!

On Pauls hunt, he walked right up to a sleeping otter.  He snapped this picture of it just before it woke up hissed at him and ran off.

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Wow that's awesome! Great job    :clapper:    
And only 1 arrow!!
Sean those are fun pics. He'll island seems like an appropriate name!

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
Thanks Matty!!  Yea, I got stuck there  3 times!!  I had the buzzards circling a few times!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 03:34:00 AM »
Nice story and looks like a great hunt.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 06:22:00 AM »
I have to go to work, I'll finish up tonight, maybe check in with my IPhone.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »
Would have liked to been on this one. Great job guys!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
I was glad to host this hog hunt for the PBS. The membership hunts are greatly expanding these days. I have been on about a dozen such hunts all over the country in the past five years.  Imagine, if you were a member of the PBS, being invited to approximately 25 different bowhunts this year, all over the country for all different kinds of animals.  If you are not yet a PBS member, maybe it is time to join?  There are many other benefits of joining the PBS, but fellowship with very serious bowhunters, most of whom are trad bowhunters, ranks pretty high on that list.

Here are a few photos from this particular hunt.  Good food is a given on these hunts..
  Here Paul is grilling some VERY fresh pork ribs...

One morning I made eggs, pancakes and elk steaks..

We were hunting tidal marshes that got a little muddy...

Matt and Tim got a little muddy also while chasing their pigs..

However, some pigs preferred the drier piney woods..

Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Looks like so much fun! I just joined PBS I am looking forward to my membership in this organization!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
Jeff, I can't wait to join you next year.

I agree that one of the best benefits of PBS is the ability to meet and hunt with like-minded individuals. As you said, the PBS has at least 25 hunts planned for 2015. Everything from bear in NH to Cous deer in AZ and pretty much everything in between. I don't recall all the things being hunted, but know of bull frogs, elk, turkey, mule deer, whitetail deer, alligator, carp, and of course hogs!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
We almost lost two bowhunters to the waist-deep pluf mud.  This is the buzzard that began following Sean around, looking for an easy meal...

Eventually it gave up on Sean and settled for the remains after these hunters took care of a nice hog..

Several hunters killed either their first or best hog to date.  Bob had to fight off this angry boar with his bow after the shot.  We think the boar was ticked off after it caught Bob sleeping in its nest overnight...

We were blessed with great weather, and experienced some awesome sunrises and sunsets...

Lord willing, we'll do it again next year...

Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
Being a PBS member can be a little heart breaking tho....I've had to turn down a bunch of great opportunities for lack of time!!!   Trying to make the most of it!!   Thanks Jeff for a great hunt!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by SheltonCreeker:
Looks like so much fun! I just joined PBS I am looking forward to my membership in this organization!
and we are happy you joined, Dirtnap.  Looking forward to hunting with you again.

I've attended this hunt for the last few years and it just keeps getting better.  Jeff does an amazing job with the logistics and scouting and the guys that show up for the hunt have all been pleasures to get to know.  Looking forward to seeing a good crew come in next year.  Actually, it will only be a month or so before we gather for our bi annual banquet which will be in St. Augustine in 2016.  Hope many of you will join us there too!

To Randy, Bob, Ron, Jeff, Tim, Matt, and Tim....thanks for putting up with me this year.   I had a blast.     :thumbsup:

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
Looks like a really great trip!
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
This area can only be accessed by boat and is very difficult to hunt.  You must wear hip boots or waders because of the mud that can be more than waist deep.  It is loaded with gators, snakes and bugs - we hunted in colder weather, otherwise they can be unbearable.  I was there this week in temps close to 70, and saw many gators and snakes; I forgot my thermocell and  the skeeters and no-see-ums tore me up, plus I brought home a dozen ticks!  I am a relatively new boat owner and not used to tidal rivers, especially when the tide range is 6-8 feet.  The first year, I got stuck on a sand bar on a submerged tree and burned up my water pump and ruined the outboard.  Very expensive lesson.  The second year, I learned to be very careful where to park my boat...

In that case, I only planned to scout an island for an hour, but one hour turned into three with several hog encounters and eventually a dead hog to cut up and pack out.  The boat was taking on water in the back when I returned and was probably a half hour from being swamped.  Oops.

I also had to tow out a buddy's boat last year when his outboard quit.  This year the starter on my outboard acted up some and I had the only boat that week; I was worried that we would have to swim back to the boat ramp.  Not fun with all the gators and snakes around.

For the second week I even mounted a back-up outboard, to help prevent being swept out to the ocean if the primary outboard quit on me...

I returned solo this week to hunt a new spot that I was warned could only be accessed for a very brief period during high tide.  I arrived at high tide and promised myself to just look around for an hour.  Well I found hogs within 10 minutes and stalked one group after another, completely losing track of time for over 3 hours.  My boat was high and dry when I returned, and I had to wait for 6 hours before I could escape...   :mad:

I guess if it was easy, anybody could do it.  I can't wait to attend my next PBS membership hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©