3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodsman Elite or 4 blade Stinger  (Read 558 times)

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodsman Elite or 4 blade Stinger
« on: February 23, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Trying to decide between these, probably 125 grain models. My draw length is 28.5'". Whitetail bows are low 40#s, elk bow is 50#'s @28".

I want to use the same broadhead for everything, but they will be mounted on different arrows. Looking for advice on which will penetrate better, and better potential blood trails.
TOBY

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodsman Elite or 4 blade Stinger
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
I like Stinger 2 blade

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
I shot the 4 blade stingers for a couple of years out of 50 lb bows and had great results.  Solid blood trails and excellent flight.  They are very easy to sharpen with a redi edge carbide sharpener.   The bleeders are nice and solid, although a bit tough to sharpen but can be replaced.  

I switched over to the WW elites for a couple seasons and again, no complaints, great flight and blood trails. Fairly easy to sharpen but I think the better edge goes to the stainless steel Stinger.  It seems to keep an edge longer in and out of the quiver a little better.  

I shoot quite a few deer each year and blood trails always varie. Some times the bigger head will leave a small blood trail and the smaller heads will leave a big trail.  I thing they are both top heads, you have to decide which one gives you the weight you want, the sight picture you want and the one you can get the sharpest.  Price is another story altogether.  Both are pricey, one more than the other.  As far as over all strength goes the WW comes out on top.  

If I had to chose I'd stay with the stinger.  They work very well with my setup and I can get them scarey sharp very quickly.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
I have been amazed at the performance on the Stinger 4 blade.  I am always looking for the perfect BH and the Stinger is at the top of the list with a 2 blade VPA and I'm sure a few others.  By the way I am deer and pig hunting with a 43# @ 28 bow and my arrows have always come out the other side.
T ZZZZ

Offline JDow3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
I used the 4 blade stinger almost exclusively on my compound. Decided to give the woodsman a try last year. Didn't get anything with it but found sharpening a bit cumbersome and since the stinger always performed outstanding, I just went back to it.

In fact, I think I still have two of the 125 gr woodsman. If you want them, PM me your address and I'll send them to you.

JD

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
I have been shooting Magnus for 20 years with great results.   This year I am going to try their new head the Black Hornet.   I like the looks of it and the larger cutting diameter.

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
I personally prefer the stingers. Easy to get scary sharp and a lifetime warranty helps to.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
For that weight head and bows, I'd choose the stingers...

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
Agree with Tim and I would only add that I hunt in a lot of salt marsh and its nice that you dont have to worry about rust with the Stingers. Highly recommend them!
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
I have had a lot of success with Magnus Stingers. Great broadheads, and real easy to sharpen up.   :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
I have 4 and 2 blade stingers and woodsman elites I only use woodsman elites for elk, deer and everything else just love them.    Widow

Online Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
The stingers.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
Not to get way off course, but how are you guys resharpening the stingers?  I can touch them up with a croc stick or carbide pull thru/croc stick and they will sure pop hair off my arm but won't cut paper or a rubber band.  I am very comfortable sharpening carbon steel broadheads but have really struggled getting stainless truly sharp.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
As far as which head to use it's a toin coss.

As far as how to get the Stinger extra super sharp it's KME all the way. I've never had to use anything but my finest stone on a Stinger.

It's like the KME was made for the Stinger.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 02:28:00 AM »
Charlie is 100% correct. Man the Stingers get wicked sharp with the KME.

Bill

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
Eversharp for me.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
I like VPA 3 blade, real similar to the WW. I sure wish that Magnus would make a 200+ grain version of the 4 blade stinger
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
I'm having the same dilemna. I have killed alot of critters with the ww elites, but they are just getting to high for me. Just bought a pack of stinger 4 blades for under $30. Fly great and sharpen easy. Gonna give them a try this yr.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
The price is getting steep on the Woodsmans, that is one reason I am looking at possibly switching to the stingers.

I see a lot of support for using the KME for sharpening them. I can get the 3 blades really sharp very easy but have always struggled with 2 blade sharpening.

What exactly do I need going the KME route, is it a $100 investment, if so, maybe the Eoodmans are cheaper.
TOBY

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
I can easily sharpen my stingers with just my jewel stick. I'm sure the KME is great, but they can be sharpened without it without much problem.
God is good, all the time!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©