3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: South Arkansas Deer Hunt  (Read 370 times)

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
South Arkansas Deer Hunt
« on: October 04, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Dad and I have got our broadheads sharpened up and most of our gear packed up, tomorrow evening after work we are headed south for a 3 day deer hunt in Drew county Arkansas.  Both of us are looking for our first traditional deer kill.  

We will be hunting with the matched pair of Dryad Bushwackers that we got earlier this spring.  We've already bloodied them on a South Texas hog hunt but are looking to add to their mojo by *hopefully* putting some deer on the ground this weekend.
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: South Arkansas Deer Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 01:58:00 AM »
Good luck to you and your dad.   :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
Drew county in south Arkansas is in the top 5 counties of most deer harvested last year. They are up their almost every year. :thumbsup:  Here in our part of Arkansas there may be a couple hundred deer taken each year. There the number will be more like a couple of thousand. We are really hopeful of some early success. It could be a good time to get my first trad deer. :D : The fact that i am going to be able to spend time with my son and younger brother at the same time is enough to make the hunt a success before we even start, but it would be nice to add to that.     :archer:  That new bushwacker bow need some deer blood on it for mojo.  :goldtooth:
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
Keep us posted Tony.  I'll be hunting a bit north in Bayou Meto (Cannon Breaks).  We've sold our house (close on the 16th) and we'll be moving at the end of the month...I'm not sure when I'll be able to squeeze some hunting in.
Good luck and safe hunting,
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Any of you guys hunt around Jackson County? (N.E. Ark.) I have a lot of family there and access to a lot of delta farmland. None of them are deer hunters and even though I've been going there all of my life I've never tried hunting there. I was there earlier this year and was giving it some serious thought.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Jaeger, who you got in Ja. Co? I'm from there, Newport, originally. I do a little duck & goose hunting there now but no deer.
Romans 8:28

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
My father grew up there. Now I have aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.. All from Newport. Heck, depending on how old you are you probably were taught kindergarten by my grandmother.  Travis family.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
OMG! Yes! Mrs. Doris was my favorite teacher. Even though I was the only one that year that got a spanking. (Of course I deserved it for kicking her.)
That would have been in 1964-65.
Romans 8:28

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
Good Luck guys!!

Get those bows bloody for sure and call me with the stories.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
That's amazing. If my Mamaw gave you a whack you MUST have deserved it! Man, I can still see and smell that house like I was in it. Good memories. PM sent PowDuck.
Good luck guys! Go shoot some stuff!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Good luck. Stories to come?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Guys, we hunted hard for 3 days and dehydrated ourselves for 3 days  :(   and saw more cottonmouths then deer. We did see a few deer at a distance, right at dark or daylight. We even had one try to get into the truck with us this morning before daylight on the way to the woods.  :confused:    The heat won hands down.  :o  Highs were in the 90's each day. Other then that we had a great time. I got to spend quality time with my son and with my younger brother.   :thumbsup:
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »
sounds like a fun trip none the less...it is way too hot to hunt deer...too many snakes and ticks still out.  Did you collect any skins for bow backing?
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 07:26:00 AM »
It doesn't matter if you bring a deer home or even see one.  It's getting out there with the people you want to spend the time with that really counts.  I'm glad you had a good time.  Any snake skins?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
No snake skins...  The only one I killed I ran over with my truck -- the skin was ruined!     :knothead:  

I've got an insurance adjuster coming by today to take a look at my truck though.  A crazy deer ran right into the passenger side rear door one morning before daylight as we were driving in.

All said and done, a fun time was had by all.  However, like my dad, I saw more cottonmouths than I did deer.  Yesterday as I was packing blinds out I came real close to getting up close and personal with one.  I was mid-step when the flick of his tail caught my eye and I noticed him coiled back and prepared to defend himself from my size 13. He was within range of my next step!  I eased my foot down knocked an arrow, pointed it at him and we made a deal.  I told him, if you won't move, I won't shoot.  He didn't move and I didn't shoot as I slowly backed out of harms way.  I *almost* went back and shot him after I was safely away and had unloaded the blind that was on my back, but I decided I didn't want to have to wrestle with him over an arrow if I made a bad shot... I had already had enough excitement!
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
Gonna try again this weekend in one of my regular stomping grounds in Sharp County.  It is Muzzleloader season and I drew a doe tag so I'm gonna head up with my Dryad Bushwacker and see if I can't get a doe in close enough to get a shot.  The deer should move pretty good in spite of the heat once those muzzleloaders start going off.

Sooner or later I'm gonna wack that first trad deer with my bushwacker!  

I'm looking forward to our return trip to Drew county late this year or early next.  We anticipate much more success on that trip -- and no snakes!
Tony McCall

Offline Bob at Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
it is cooling off pretty well by the weekend too...good luck.
Bob

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
tmccall,  PM sent.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©