3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How does a twisted limb affect performance?  (Read 961 times)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How does a twisted limb affect performance?
« on: February 23, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
For a few reasons, the only bow I have to shoot presently is the first bow I bought years ago. (An old Stemmler "semi recurve")
It has a noticeable twist in the lower limb, seemingly mostly towards the tip.
Tried many times to straighten it, but it seems to be permanent.

My shooting isn't it's best right now, limited by the harsh winter here, but I'm wondering what the twist may, or may not be contributing to the performance of the bow.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How does a twisted limb affect performance?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
A bow with a twisted limb can and a lot of the times will shoot very good if the arrows are tuned to the bow. Sometimes the twist will throw the limb timing and alignment off enough to cause some hand shock but if this is the case the string could also come off during the shot. If it shoots good for you just shoot it.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
I've owned a number of bows with twists, but I have found a couple things shooting them.

1.  If the string stays on, it seems to shoot just fine.

2.  If the string stays on during shooting, I have not had a bow I could not straighen.

With that said, I bet you could straighten out that twist with the right technique.
Lon Scott

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
That's encouraging so far, guys.

Blackhawk, the method I have been using is to twist the limb, unstrung, in the opposite direction of the twist. No change, despite several attempts. Anything I'm missing?

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
I leave the bow strung and warm up the limbs with hair dryer (but do not heat too much.)  

Some use hot water, but I am afraid of moisture getting in where I don't want it.

Twist limb in opposite direction and hold for 10-20 seconds.  Repeat until string stays in groove.  

Leave the bow strung. I usually hang the bow on pegs horizontally by the string.

Repeat process daily until you can pull back the string and it stays in groove when you let down.
Lon Scott

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
Hold the limb under warm water out of the faucet in your tub. Once warmed up, straighten  it and turn the cold water on it. I have cold "bumped" a couple but the warm water works better. Not hot but warm water.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
Heat gun and a crescent wrench . Slowly heat the limb and he it past the twist til it cools. String the bow and check correction.

If it needs more apply heat again. Slowly!! After it cools completely string it and draw it a few times.  If it is lined up true leave it strung and draw it every couple of hours and check it.

Worst thing is you might have to do it a couple of times. Be patient it will correct and stay corrected eventually.

Bretto

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Very helpful suggestions. I'll have another go at straightening.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©