3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: States with most traditional hunters  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: States with most traditional hunters
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
shag08,

Do you mean one does not have to buy a separate license/sticker for archery or muzzleloader?  One license allows you to hunt the entire seasons with all weapons?  

That game department is missing out on some funds by doing that...and good for you!
Lon Scott

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
Blackhawk: That is how Michigan does also.  You buy a license and the weapon you use is determined by the season. IE: Archery season, muzzle loading season or gun season.  If you have an un-used tag from archery season you can gun hunt on it or muzzleload on it. Been that way for many years now.

That is for deer.  for small game you have to buy separate licenses for small game, water fowl etc.

We also have a point system for elk and bear.  Those are on a draw type system.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
Jon: OK then...so my state list of so-called bowhunters cannot be valid. OH well...

With that said, based upon my discussions, trades, sales, etc, I would put your state of Michigan near the top.

Being #1, #5, or #50 is not critical of course, but just a topic of discussion on a cold day.
Lon Scott

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
I guess I am not sure if the original poster was wondering which state had more bow hunters or more traditional bowhunters.

Like I wrote earlier we have 4 or 5 good traditional/longbow and primitive only shoots but I would bet that maybe only 1/3rd at best hunt traditional.  Most I know jump to the compound or alternative type bow hunting.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
That's correct, Lon. In TN, a resident sportsman's license covers it all...all big game species and seasons for them, small game, trapping, fishing etc. I think it is required to buy a federal stamp for migratory birds. And it does cost extra for draw hunts on certain WMA's.

But if you are a resident of TN, you can pretty much do it all for $165 (I think that's the new price...they changed it this year and I haven't had to buy one yet...expires last day of this month).

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
I can think of 6 other stick bow hunters from my state who do not use the computer and don't visit any forums,, no offence but a lot of old timers who shoot sticks don't have a PC or smart phone my father and cousin are the first two that come to mind.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Rod Bear

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
PBS which is a traditional based organization, has their largest membership in the East. Pa, Ohio, ect.

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
I agree with Jon. I shoot in a traditional league in the winter and I'd say there's about 18 guys in the league but only 6 or 7 hunt with a stick n string. But the club is tuscola county archery and we have a trad shoot in July and it brings alot of people from all over
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
I agree with Jon. I shoot in a traditional league in the winter and I'd say there's about 18 guys in the league but only 6 or 7 hunt with a stick n string. But the club is tuscola county archery and we have a trad shoot in July and it brings alot of people from all over
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
I have hunted w/ a LB or recurve in Wyoming for well over a decade. Not only the deer/elk seasons but smaller stuff, rabbits, etc.
    Other than a hunting buddy or two that was hunting with me   I HAVE YET TO SEE another hunter/shooter in the woods or in a camp using traditional equipment.....honestly.   I do know you guys are here from the posts I read on the different forums.
    I really think Wyoming may possibly be dead last as far as the numbers of trad hunters.
   In that Wyoming is dead last in total population, I guess it's no surprise.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
I have noticed more Traditional Bow Hunters in the "thicker" states.....meaning the hunting takes place in thicker, closer geography. Michigan, PA, etc.

Out west, I have NEVER encountered another traditional guy. And the guys you do meet laugh it off....."How are you going to shoot an elk at 50 yards with that thing?"

What we do is a different sport, completely.
I think Roger is right on the point.  I did see a hunter in Colorado using an old Ben Pearson but that was a good 25 years ago. The compound shooters I've encountered here in Wyo do not seem to consider us stick shooters to be serious hunters.    :laughing:

Offline Kudu Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
I have never seen in the field a hunter using traditional equipment in Mn.  I know some of my 3d  buddies hunt exclusively with trad as I do.  I  just don't see any others in the field.

Even with the large Rapids archery 3D shoot, I know some of them still pick up the compound during the hunting season.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©