3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feral animal hunt  (Read 493 times)

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
Feral animal hunt
« on: February 24, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Does anyone know of any feral animals to be hunted in the lower 48 besides hogs? I'm in Alabama and looking for a DIY trip to do some relatively inexpensive camping style hunting. Any suggestions are welcome. I've tried to find information on wild cattle hunting but have been getting conflicting information about it.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28
Eskimo broad heads on both

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feral animal hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
I am not aware of anything other than yotes and hogs
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
What about those Giant Rats in the south that inhabit waterways???
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Them ain't giant rats thems redneck mink. We like em with biscuts and gravy.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
Sika and sambar deer, Ibex and oryx (gemsbok). Some harder to access than others but either would be a great adventure I bet. Being from Georgia that sambar lottery could be a realistic goal for you. They hunt them in Florida.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
I don't know what the hunting regs are, but Burmese pythons in South Florida ..they are very hard to see but kinda slow once you find them
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Do you guys have woodchucks down there?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Hogs, nutria, coyotes, water moccasins, softshell turtles, and probably best to call Alabama Game and Fish to be sure!
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
Those "big rats" are Nutria, aren't they?  Vermin.  Probably free access.  Kill 'em all.
homebru

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
Coyotes are not ferals. They naturally inhabit this continent. They can be called varmints, but not ferals.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 04:14:00 AM »
I had to read the definition of a feral animal and a coyote I'd not a feral animals, neither are water moccasins or softshell turtles. So in MS I guess it's just hogs and nutria.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
You could Bowfish Carp. I saw Bisch put a post of shooting Giant Plecos in Texas or Florida I believe.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 07:45:00 AM »
I think the only thing you could or would want to hunt would be hogs. Feral is anything that was domesticated,and has gone wild. So I don't think nutria would apply either.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
I'd love to shoot wild chickens in some of those south Florida towns. Smart and fast And the latin ladies sure know how to cook them up.  The late great writer Cory Ford wouldn't let a wild cat (wild cat = any cat not in the house) get out of sight alive back in the day either. It's a kinder gentler world these days.
lll

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by killinstuff:
I'd love to shoot wild chickens in some of those south Florida towns. Smart and fast And the latin ladies sure know how to cook them up.  The late great writer Cory Ford wouldn't let a wild cat (wild cat = any cat not in the house) get out of sight alive back in the day either. It's a kinder gentler world these days.
Feral cats are very destructive to the native species. I think they are a real problem in the islands like hawaii,and the galapagos.

I bet it would be fun to hunt feral chickens.

Offline dougbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
How about iguanas in Florida?

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
Great ideas, I've looked into the snakes and lizards in Florida but the places where they have seasons are south of Miami and that's a long drive for a lizard!! I've actually done some checking into Texas, they seem to have some reasonable license prices that cover a wide variety of species that I have yet to chase like the collard peccary and jack rabbits. I said feral because i had my mind geared toward wild cattle or goats, but I guess what I was really meaning was something relatively inexpensive and a reasonable drive from home. Someone mentioned exotic deer tags in Florida. I would assume all those deer would be on preserves correct? I'm trying to do a small DIY camping trip because I'm pitching all my cash into a mule deer hunt to Wyoming in September. We don't have any woodchucks this far south I don't believe. I wouldn't mind shooting a nutria either that's a good idea I've heard they eat pretty good.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28
Eskimo broad heads on both

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
The cottontail rabbit population in South Texas is crazy. Around dark they were everywhere. That would be a fun hunt. You could hunt hogs and Javelina as well!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
When I first started hunting Ft. Stewart in Ga. right when it opened to public..around 1960 I think, feral cows were legal in there.

I would see plenty of cow tracks down the dirt roads, etc., but never saw a cow and never knew anyone that did.

I walked up on a big Brahma Bull deep in Greenswamp WMA in SW Fl. one time. Every now and then a few cows would get through the fence on bordering property back then..Hampton Ranch..but as far as I knew they weren't legal to shoot in there.

Quiet a few of the Fl. WMA's have Brahma's in them..but they are not legal to shoot. Tosohatchee, WMA has a lot and I hated having to walk through them before and after daylight coming and going.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Julian:
Great ideas, I've looked into the snakes and lizards in Florida but the places where they have seasons are south of Miami and that's a long drive for a lizard!! I've actually done some checking into Texas, they seem to have some reasonable license prices that cover a wide variety of species that I have yet to chase like the collard peccary and jack rabbits. I said feral because i had my mind geared toward wild cattle or goats, but I guess what I was really meaning was something relatively inexpensive and a reasonable drive from home. Someone mentioned exotic deer tags in Florida. I would assume all those deer would be on preserves correct? I'm trying to do a small DIY camping trip because I'm pitching all my cash into a mule deer hunt to Wyoming in September. We don't have any woodchucks this far south I don't believe. I wouldn't mind shooting a nutria either that's a good idea I've heard they eat pretty good.
The sambar deer are on St.Vincent wildlife refuge and are publicly owned animals, no private preserves. The information on the lottery is readily available. Id like to do it one day.    This is what they look like. Interested yet?    :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©