3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Late season turkeys  (Read 257 times)

Offline actionjackson22

• Trad Bowhunter
Late season turkeys
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
This year I will only get the last weekend in May to chase turkeys and was wondering and tips or strategies I have never hunted that late and was wondering how to go about it. I will be in the mountains in northern Pa and I don't mind getting one weekend because my little girl is going to be born in early April
Jesus saves!
Galaxy Ember longbow 60" 55#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#
PSE blackhawk 60" 45#

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Late season turkeys
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
Well, that's a great reason to miss most of the season, congratulations!!  I'm getting married May 2!! so there goes the first week of mine...I've had those years where I've only had a few days to hunt that would take me to the late season. I've killed a ton of turkys after 5/25. It's tough for me to tell you exactly what to do as there are a lot of variables to take into account. But I would suggest calling softly and using a lot of clucks and purrs.  One technique that I use a lot if, especially since I bowhunting gem now is that I set up in a somewhat open area. I set out my decoys and I'll hit a series of lost hen yalps with a box call. If I haven't heard a gobble, I'll call relitivly loud. Then listen. I'll wait about a half hour before I call again. If there's a turkey in the area, he WILL hear you and at some point he more than likely show up. He may not gobble til he's right ontop of you so be prepared.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
Oh, if I hear a gobble. It may be 10-15 mins after your last call, quiet it down and go to soft purrs and clucks. I've probably killed 30 turkeys with this method with both bow and gun. Good luck.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
We may all only be able to late turkey season hunt this year if the weather continues!  Congratulations on the upcoming arrival- we had our first at the end of June.  She is a blessing each and every day.  I learned this past season that I now hunt and fish more "gentleman" type hours.

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
Late season turkey have been educated by other hunters, I spend more time seting tight than chasing And call less frquently as well as softer. Patince pays.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Use bug Spray. Turkeys cant smell but they can see you swatting mosquitoes.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
Hunt all day if you can in PA. Call every 30 mins or so with a single hen or two. If it's later in the day he will most likely show up silent and scanning every little thing he sees. Best to use a blind, but if not stay still.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©