3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer Hunting Delaware  (Read 605 times)

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer Hunting Delaware
« on: February 25, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
It looks like I have a place to crash in Millsboro Delaware. Plan on doing possibly an early bow hunt in September or maybe a mid October hunt. Can anyone recommend which WMA or State land to checkout for a shot at a decent buck in the 120 plus range.

Thanks.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer Hunting Delaware
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »
Be aware that during October there is an 8 day muzzleloader season and most weekends (no Sunday hunting)-Friday, Saturday, Monday-are antlerless gun season.  I don't know which WMAs have the best bucks.  Here's a link to deer info in Delaware-
     http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Hunting/Pages/DeerInfo.aspx      

Here's the link to maps of WMAs.

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Pages/Guides%20Maps%20Seasons.aspx    

Here's a paragraph I copied for you, might have info you're after.

"State Deer Records

The Division maintains records of the top hunter taken deer based on net Boone & Crockett scores on its website at
  http://www.fw.delaware.gov/Hunting/Pages/DeerRecords.aspx

Any whitetails meeting Pope & Young minimums for bow kills (125 typical, 155 non-typical), Longhunter Society minimums for muzzleloader kills (130 typical, 160 non-typical) or shotgun kills of 140 typical and better and 160 non-typical and better are eligible for entry. The Division is interested in Delaware whitetails taken in any year. Bill Jones, Division biologist and official measurer for Boone & Crockett, Pope & Young and the Longhunter Society, can be contacted at (302) 284-4795 for more information."

I hope this helps.

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
Great info Selfbow!

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
Beware the chiggers in DE at that time of year! I went down to a buddy's camp near Smyrna in September a few years back, I wasn't aware of chiggers, we have none where I live even though I'm less than 2 hours north. Anyway, I got LIT UP! Those things are no fun. Theres some really nice deer down in delaware though, can't help you with wmu's but good luck.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
As Krex said "Beware the chigger!!"  Permanone (or a similar product) on all your clothes and Deep Woods Off (or similar) on your bare feet and ankles before dressing, helps a lot.  If it's been wet, mosquitoes-bring your Therma-Cell.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
"Can anyone recommend which WMA or State land to checkout for a shot at a decent buck in the 120 plus range". I can....Iowa   ;)
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
My other advice is to get a good pair of tall rubber boots, from what I've seen the eastern woods in Delaware turn into wetlands with any wet weather.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Thanks Guys. It seems like Delaware is kind of like hunting Long Island. Some nice bucks are taken each year but the majority are small bucks and does. Nothing wrong with that and I like the fact that I will get 4 doe tags with the non-resident license.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
See Bob's little winky smiley face?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Buckster54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
Yes, It's sad to say, but all the bucks in Delaware are small. the pictures on facebook from Delaware taxidermists are not real.   :biglaugh:  but if you insist, Delaware has lots of public hunting land!

Offline Buckster54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
Didn't mean to be a smarta....lol  If you're in Millsboro area, you're in lower slower Delaware. Close by, Redden state forest near Georgetown. Sussex county has some large deer, body and rack size. Delaware also has some archery only areas, Taber State forest in kent county for one. Delaware is about 100miles long and 30-40 miles wide.So everything is close. good hunting to you!

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
Don't worry guys, I can take the ribbing.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what is on the public land down there.

Here on Long Island we have some really nice deer but most of them are taken on private land but you can get some real nice bucks on public land even though it is very crowded here.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
I have a vacation property a mile from the Assawoman WMA and if I was certain 120 class bucks were hanging around there I'd be hunting it more.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Because the state is small and properties not large by western standards, a deer that is seen in one place can and often times will be long gone the next day.   There are some thick nasty swamps around here too......places people don't walk much.  We really do have it pretty good IMO for being so small.  I will tell you that the largest trailcam pics I saw this entire past year came from state land.

Many areas within 20 miles of Millsboro are state QDMA properties requiring bucks to be 15".  Not saying they're around every corner, but they are there.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Some of the WMA have stand placements you pick in the morning you go in. DE is not easy to hunt I hunted it a couple years at a WMA forget the name now that had these stand sites. You will see plenty of sign but these are swamp animals and they are some big marshs down there. It all takes time to learn new areas and where it will produce. 2 thermo cells you will need high rubber boots and protect yourself from the chiggers early season. Good luck though. Theres another area along the bay out on the beach I herd was pretty good also not far from Bombay Hook to the South.

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
Kyle!!!! Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©