3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Practice in winter time  (Read 1121 times)

Offline brianbfree

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practice in winter time
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
Here in AZ it's an enless summer at Ben Avery
DH Super Diablo         60#@28
DH Ventura              60#@28
BP Lord Mercury         40#@28
Golden Sovereign Knight 65#@28
BP  Mercury Hunter      65#@28

Brian Beery

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
18 yards in my basement, also in a 12 week indoor archery league, and once a week with friends stump shooting.  Yep, once in a while we lose an arrow in the snow, but find them in the Spring.
The work praises the man.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
10 yards in my basement about 20 shots once every other week or so.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline strait1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
I love to go out on snowshoes and shoot in the snow. Once you've done it you'll find yourself looking forward to one more of life's little pleasures each year.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
I prefer stumping, but it has been soooo cold, I have been using the garage a bit. At home in the garage it is short distance, but good for form practice.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 12:24:00 AM »
I try to get out at sunrise every day to shoot a few dozen arrows, switching bows as the mood suits me. I especially like stumping in the snow. Most challenging morning so far was 3 below, 20 mph wind...I think I shot 15 arrows and called it quits.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
9yds. in basement, go outside for a dozen or so shots while filling bird feeder and game feeder. Shoot our winter 3D league every Sunday mourning. Not bad this past weekend , didn't have to dress like Nannook of the north like we did on 2/15...single didgets with wind. Found out my LS Slammer could take it.

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
I have a target in the backyard that I shoot from my elevated deck when the weather is nice.  When it's nasty out I shoot in my basement.....my target down there is 15 yards.

I like the golf ball idea!!!  Gotta start trying that....I assume you use the one with no holes to prevent the arrow from sticking??
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
I stump shoot nearly every day.  There's about 44" of snow on the ground here and it's all on snow shoes but I still shoot regularly.  You just look for the mark of your arrow where it hit the snow when you miss and dig the arrow up.  I would go nuts shooting the same distance in doors.  Monday when I went out it was -16 Degrees but I was shooting pretty good!

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbowman:
I stump shoot nearly every day.  There's about 44" of snow on the ground here and it's all on snow shoes but I still shoot regularly.  You just look for the mark of your arrow where it hit the snow when you miss and dig the arrow up.  I would go nuts shooting the same distance in doors.  Monday when I went out it was -16 Degrees but I was shooting pretty good!
That's awesome....great way to stay sharp AND stay in shape at the same time.  I'd venture to say that most of us aren't that hearty or that dedicated.  I'm pretty cold tolerant but -16 and that much snow takes a toll on me.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
It's been averaging in the single digits here for quite awhile now, sometimes going to -20 or so if the wind picks up.  Still, I'd rather shoot outside than inside.  Lot's of snow, too.  Lawn snow depth is over my waist, edge banks are eyeball height.   Can still shoot easily to 25 yds. or so in the driveway, otherwise known as "Snowblower Alley".

I think winters like this one are just God's way of getting back at us.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
Yup, still shoot. Outdoors, even if my fingers only last for a few arrows before getting numb. It's a cold winter here, too.

Usually stump shoot throughout the winter too, but tweaked my shoulder and I'm taking it easy.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
I shoot outside about every other day this time of year. My target butt is set up to shoot anywhere up to 30 yards once I snow blow out a path.
I like to keep it to 10 degrees or more. As long as I am dressed properly, I can get off about 25-30 shots at varying yardages.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
No chance of indoor shooting so it' out in the yard at 10-20 yards, but prefer stumping. Yard-shooting is just to practise form.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline Sarge5706

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
I shoot outdoors year round here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  Won't go out if it is windy and single digits.
This morning it was 6 degrees and calm so I went to the range and sent 30 arrows down range.
I'm layered and wearing at least the snow camo top, matching glove on the bow hand and a wool mitten/glove on the string hand with shooting glove underneath.
the wind is the deciding factor for me.  Been out twice on snowshoes.
J.E. Smith
SSgt Usmc (Ret)

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 05:43:00 AM »
I shoot a lot in my heated garage about 7-8 yards...I work nights so I don't have much free time during daylight with these short days...but I still tote the bag target outside when I can and shoot out to about 25 yds at least once a week. the man cave garage is nice tho for messing with brace heights and stuff..
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 05:45:00 AM »
I have no indoor range so I do this

Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
Yep, I have a range downstairs. In fact when the walk-out was being built I made the ceiling 9 feet and put double doors going from the TV/Play room into my archery "shop". I have a 5' wide by 6' high, 24" thick foam wall (stacked Block targets)as the backstop.

The only arrow that has "gotten away" was a release executed shot by my son. Pretty little 5/16" hole about 7 foot high and a couple inches wide.

Sometimes, itching to turkey hunt I put up a pop-up blind and shoot from it on this range. Soon I'll put that blind up and practice shooting a String Tracker from it.

The shot is 13 yards. I usually shoot 4-20 arrows per day. Sometimes 2-4 times daily. The other day I shot 5-6 different bows, chronographed, and just general tinkering.

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
I shoot every week at our local club .
I'm also lucky enough to have a range in my basement  17 yards.

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
I shoot outdoors down to about zero or so, sometimes lower temps. I use a tab and wear gloves in between shooting and retrieving arrows. Been shooting some in the basement as well, but that is only about 12 yards.

Did some shooting outside today, it was only about 18F and slightly breezy, just wore a flannel and hat and was good to go.   :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©