3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If Your Were Going to Buy a Hill Style Right Now...Which One Would You Pick?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey all,

Well this week I got my first taste of shooting a Hill style bow.  I got the pass around bow that's going around from Liberty Bows.  It's the ENGLISH model with the handle that's not a standard type of handle, I don't know what he calls it.  What a great longbow.  I love shooting this bow.  So light and quiet, it's remarkable.

So...I thought I'd ask you guys a question.  If you were going to get a Hill style bow, what one would you get and why?  I guess you could list your top choices to make it easier.

I don't know enough about all the different ones available to list them, but this Liberty would be ideal if it had a standard grip, which he does offer.  I also like the JD Berry bows too.

Nalajr

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Toelke Super D
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
One from Howard Hill Archery. Great price, good shooters proven to hold up to the test of time, great people to deal with and you will get the bow you order.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Don't know if you can truly consider it Hill style.  But I really have been eyeballing those Super D's!!   :p

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
Northern Mist Classic (on the list)
JD Berry Morningstar ( on the list)
Howard Hill Archery  Jaguar ( brand new series)

I could go on and on....

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Matty:
Don't know if you can truly consider it Hill style.  But I really have been eyeballing those Super D's!!    :p  
Close enough for me.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have HHA 2 Wesley Specials, 2 Cheetahs , and 1 Big Five. I also have a Northern Mist Shelton. All are great bows. I have shot bows by J D Berry but unfortunately don't own one yet. There are many good Hill styles out there, but these are the only ones I have enough knowledge about to strongly recommend.
Sam

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
You had it in your hand.  Although, I chose Allen's Classic.  From the first shot I thought this is a special bow.  Just so you know, this is my third go-around with a longbow, the first was a disaster for me, the second was just OK. Third ones a charm.

They definitely are not all the same. And I am sure there are some really good other bows out there. But I  am very happy with this one.  
68" and 54# by the way,  and I never thought I would own a bow that long.  So smooth and so gradual in draw weight, it really is a joy to shoot.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
I'd have to to JD Berry. And specifically a Morningstar.... Why..... It feels the best to me. I can shoot the MorningStar better than any other ASL ( Hill style), it feels great in the hand, has above average performance, quiet, shock free, and very pointable.

As to why JD Berry.. Well after owning most of today's bowyers offerings, and shooting the others that friends have owned, and owning a lot of vintage ASL's, from Meigs to Schulz to Jerry Hill and Louie armbuster I have not found anything that can top the bows I've gotten from James. Plus his OE bows (current) are some of the most artistic pieces of works that I have seen.

I'm a fan of berry bows.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Lots of great longbows out there and hard to find a bad one.

Howard Hill has the name and the performance is dependable, the quality of workmanship excellent,
price point very affordable, and quick delivery.

J.D.Berry is my favorite although I do make my own and have for many years. James bows have been top of the heap for a very long time. Great performance and unimaginable style.

I own or have shot, Hills, Savora, Schulz, Martin, Jerry Hill, Sky, and probably a couple more I've forgotten.
You'd be tickled pink with a Berry.

Mine is a Vixen. I much prefer a standard Hill style grip on my longbows.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
jd berry if you can get on his list.hill would be my 2nd choice Ted ekin makes an excellent longbow.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
I almost pulled the plug on Allens string follow after the reviews.   I own 3 chiefs and couldn't justify another.  Two of them are brand spanking new, the 3rd looks like I've rolled down Everest with it but she keeps on shooting.  

You wont regret buying a bow from Allen!  

That said I think the others mentioned are all good as well, tough pick.   In the end you've shot one if it shoots well I'd stop looking.  there's just too dog gone many good bows to play with and only two hands to shoot them!

Offline bourlandrobert

• Trad Bowhunter
Hard to beat the English! I shot one at the longbow safari last year and had to buy it:)

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Bama bows tribute royal takedown....
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Probably would get a Mohawk or if Bigfoot has his made yet one of those.

God bless, Steve

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
JD Berry Vixen
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
Northern mist, no contest.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline danbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Never owned one but I guess if I was going with a Hill style I might as well start with a Hill Bow.
"Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wow, didn't know about the pass around bow. That's cool!
Like Mr. Lamb, shot alot of different ones over time.
I would try for a Dave Johnson and or an early made Hill Tembo!
Alot of fine shooters made in the 80's, 90's, the resurgense period of this great bow design, and real archery!

Check out some of the ole archery mags, too!

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
"Hill style".....why a real Hill of course.   ;)  I also would suggest Northern Mist.  Craig Ekin will get a new custom Hill to you faster than anyone out there (I have never waited more than 2-3 weeks on one).  I like the fact that I don't have to wait and wait or get on a list to have Craig build a bow for me.  Currently he has a ton of stock bows listed on his site--unless you are a lefty! I haven't had the chance to shoot a J. D. Berry but no doubt they are excellent as well.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©