3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If Your Were Going to Buy a Hill Style Right Now...Which One Would You Pick?  (Read 2377 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a few HHA bows. Since getting my Morningstar from JD Berry, they are getting dusty. HHA bows are very good, but there is just something about the Berrys that puts a big smile on my face when I am shooting it.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
JD Berry Vixen
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Paul Cousineau:
Northern mist, no contest.
This would definitely be my second choice
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Love my Morningstar and Vixen.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
Longriver Longbow hands down. Absolutely beautiful and a great performer too.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
I had a Mohawk Sparrowhawk that was a "righty" and I'm now shooting "lefty", so it went away. I currently have a JD Berry Morningstar and love shooting it, but I hear Vince may be cranking up his production again and I'd love to try another Sparrowhawk in left hand version.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
There are two bows that I want to own...I already have one of'em.  The other is definitely an Allen Boice Classic.  Can't wait to test drive his English which should be about a month out.  I know there are plenty of great bows and bowyers out there, but I would consider myself lucky to own those two.  While they may not be a true "Hill Style", these ASLs are my favorite type of bow by far.

Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
JD Berry Vixen would be my choice.
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
Here are my latest two bows. The first is from Craig at HHA.

This one is from JD Berry.

Get on JD's list as soon as possible. James' OE series are truly some of his most magnificent work. The Vixen is worth the wait.

Then order a bow from Craig at HHA (or even pick one out from his "In Stock" list) and learn to shoot it. By the time you receive JD's bow, you will be ready for the Vixen. After all, once bitten and infected by the Hill virus, the is no cure. You can only treat the symptoms with another bow.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
I like this post. Lot of variables. Lot of good to great offerings. The ASL rebirth if you will on this site has been great to see. I have been a selfbow guy for years now but have of late gotten the itch to purchase another ASL. Have owned a hill and loved it but it was too heavey for me and traded it. I now have a ASL that was made by a local bowyer who was trained by Schultz it is a good bow (no longer makes bows). So I make my own and have a ASL but that itch. The guys at the top of their game who are in demand (waiting list) would be a down the road bow for me. If I wanted a ASL now I would go
McBroom, 7 Lakes, Bama, N Mist, Hill in that order

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Northern Mist !

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I agree with ya, Jack! Ordering from the fresh new bowyers  like Mcbroom!
Also a selbow lover and shooter, my first 2 selfbows I got from Gary Davis  black locust snd osage have deep narrow handle and 66" long! Gary said his handles were copied from his Big 5 Hill!
Pearl Drums made a sweet ipe backed  Hill this past year I would love to shoot.

Also those Naturals that Charlie and Tracy build would be sweet to shoot, too!

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
If you are talking true "Hill style" it would be a Sunset Hill or a Schulz Natural(need to find them used) and Miller's split bamboo.

Also am partial to the Liberty string follow and the Abbotts(also need to find used).
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Always wanted a HH bow so between Christmas and New Years I went on the HH website  and ordered one that was  in stock, a Big 5, it was the length and draw weight I wanted and it looks nice with the caramelized bamboo, very light in the hand, fun to shoot....its a keeper!

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
If I were going to get an Ekin Hill bow, I don't think I'd get one of his stock bows unless it was exactly what I wanted.  If they were discounted, that would be different, but if I am going to pay the same amount, I want a bow that I have been thinking about for a while.
I have thought that if I ever do get an Ekin Hill style, I want a JUNIPER bow.  That stuff is just so gorgeous to my eye.  I mean it drives me crazy when I see a Juniper Hill bow because of the beauty.  It makes me want to pick up the phone and order one right then and there.  I love that white glass too.  I don't know how I would configure the rest of the bow, but those 2 parts are "MUST HAVES" for me if I order one from him.

My top choice is a Dave Johnson.  I love the looks of those bows.  The bad part is that if you aren't on his list right now, chances are you aren't going to get one.  I talk to him by email about every month or so and have been for about a year and he has had to cut back his building to only a few per year cause he has to take care of his life long mate, his beloved wife, which is his #1 priority.  He just doesn't have the time or energy to make the bows like he used to.  So, if I were ever going to get one of his bows, it would almost surely be USED.

This English bow I have been shooting for a few days is a helluva bow too.  Although it is my first toe into the Hill Style pool, I like it.  The weather here has been horrible and I have only been able to shoot it 3 times in a week.  I think I have to send it back really soon, so I am going to try and get as much shooting as I can with it until then.  The grip style is different for me though.  Not bad, just not what I would order for myself.  It's not something I am used to.  I love shooting this bow though.  It really did open my eyes to why you guys love these bows so much.

I guess that's why you don't see very many USED ones for sale.

Thanks all.

Nalajr

Offline Allen Boice

• Trad Bowhunter
Larry:

If you're interested in a true Hill Style bow you might want to also add one of my Sherwood bows to your options list.  Here I go again, if you'd like to try one out I could send one your way.

Allen

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey Mr. Boice,

Your bow is already on my list.

I've been to your website several times checking your lineup.  I wanted to see what other options you had in addition to this English that I am enjoying.
Great looking bows.

I'm afraid that if one of those bows came here, I'd be in a bad way cause I wouldn't want to send it back.  Not a good thing right at this point when my "fun money" hasn't built back up yet.

Larry

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I've got a Howard Hill Tembo that is almost forty years old and bought it new from Howard Hill Archery when Ted and Betty Ekin ran the shop.  It's a great example of ASL bow. Steve Turay of Northern Mist is going to make me a Shelton some time in the near future.  I chose that over the Whisper and Classic while shooting each at his shop a month ago.  On the used side a Coffey built Shrew Hill is a nice bow. I've also shot Ron laclair's personal Miller all bamboo string follow.  Very smooth, well behaved and quiet.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
JD Berry for sure but where I already own two of his bows that would be very hard to beat and his list is long I think I would order a McBroom, OR 2nd a Northern Mist!

like Brian above I too have owned almost all of the Hill brands out there including harrison's Hill HHC and Strunk's Version I think JD Berry so far for me and what I have personally tried are the Best Hill bows made "" from what I personally have tried""

but whats in the pot looks tasty and I havent tried them all so based on Price, wait time, and quality MCBroom would be next even though I never shot one!
"Us vs Them"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
On the list for a Morning Star, have a Whisper several Hills a North Star and a really nice Kimsha. Just great bows to carry on a stump shoot.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©