3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If Your Were Going to Buy a Hill Style Right Now...Which One Would You Pick?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
wow!!! steve, what a beauty! while due to that super long riser and fadeouts, and the deflexed handle, i don't think it could be called an AFL - but heck, who cares, it's dang gorgeous!  and with string follow, too!  wowee!!!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'm going to lay one up and flip it for a backset bow and see how it comes out. Will be interesting and will put the riser on the right side. I will shorten the fades up to a 16 inch riser and see how the thing shoots. I love everything about the forward riser bow though . I sped her up some with double carbon and Action boo lams. The shortness of the limb works the outer part of the limb and is something I picked up from a picture of Howard Hill tillering one of his bows.
Thanks for the info and if you ever want to shoot one of these I will send you one I have here to play with a bit.
God bless, Steve

While not true Hill styles perhaps, I never can get what the big deal is between variants like the eaglewing or mohawks or even my robertsons. I have shot Mohawks and lots of Robertsons, perhaps I can tell that a 70 inch AFL is different than a 60" R/D, but when the AFL gets shorter and the R/D gets longer, that stability/forgiveness line is hard to find. I certainly do not find that I need to change anything in my form and they seem to handle the same.  For someone going from a deep gripped recurve to a longbow, perhaps a mild R/D or sixby's variation could be a better choice as a first low grip longbow.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
I'd get one from Hill archery in Hamilton, MT
I have one & it's a great bow. I'd get another.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
I'd get a two tracks echo
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
I just picked up a new to me Kramer-built Hill Tembo, 68" 56@28. I think my Big Five is gonna get lonely this year
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill.  Just got my Legend Stick. Very nice looking and a great shooter.  Shown below with my 50's vintage "Green Dragon".  There is some similarity.

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
Regarding the Super D-- the strung profile on the one I had had very slight reflex in the last few inches of the tips.  Not sure if mine was different from other Super D's in this respect, but I never considered it a true "Hill-style" because of the slightly reflexed tips when braced.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Just my opinion here but I've tried a few Hill style bows and settled on the Northern Mist Retro Classic, slight backset, green glass through the handle and all at a decent cost.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
Here is a photo of one of the three Super D's that I have had. If you look at the center lam you will notice that it bends away from the straight edge slightly all the way. Others may be different, but mine are not reflexed in the tips.
Sorry if we are getting off base from the original post.

Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
 James bows have been top of the heap for a very long time. Great performance and unimaginable style.
I havn't the background of many here in this thread, especially Charlie but I echo what he has already said here...I have owned two HHA longbows, one Miller Ol'Tom, a NM Whisper and a couple Sunset Hills.  I liked then all, each having its own distinct characteristic "feel" -   preferred the Miller above the others.   Just me...

Based on what I have heard consistently these past 12 months, I'd jump at the chance to own one of the JD Berry ASLs.  Incredible long-enduring  and well deserved reputation.....dressed to kill!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the Super D pics. Interesting to know

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
a McBroom done in Cedar!
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
80# Howard Hill yew Redman, 70".
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Benny Nganabbarru:
80# Howard Hill yew Redman, 70".
You de man,,, that's WAYYYY too much poundage for me but I like the Redman.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
No one has mentioned Big River ASL's. Big River ASL's and Two Tracks Echo's are among the best!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I should have my new McBroom reverse handle ASL in a few days........can't wait to try it. I now have a few Hills, a Few N. Mist, a JD Berry and the McBroom.........I'm love'n them!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sunset Hill if I could get one, otherwise another Northern Mist.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
another Shelton #65@26 with green glass and antler tips please!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
Liberty English and Toelke Super D in 68"
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©