3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite GPS  (Read 525 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Favorite GPS
« on: February 26, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Would like to hear from those of you that regularly use a GPS.

What is your favorite?  Why?

Also, any you would recommend staying away from.

I currently have a Garmin Oregon.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite GPS
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
Going to watch this post...I just need simple. Have a Garmin etrex20 and don't care for it. More than I needed but my better half got me it for Christmas.

Offline Sky-Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
I love my Magellan Explorist 350H Hunt.  Full colors maps and a complete series of dedicated hunter waypoints. Works great for game tracking after the shot.   Getting to my stand across the Florida swamps by ATV and on foot on the darkest morning is a pleasure.  Battery life is superb, the GPS is water-proof and impact resistant.  Brian

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
I'll check that one out Brian.  It is one I've not looked at yet.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
I used to use an Garmen eTrex but have since switched to the Act In Nature app on my iphone. It does more and has a base aerial map.
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
I sold my gps and am using my old iphone 4 with the gaia gps mapping app. I can download maps to the app using wifi at home to use in the field. It's better than any gps unit I've seen out there. The clarity of the maps is way better. With the data and wifi shut off when in the field it lasts for days on a charge. I can use an external battery charger if I'm gone longer than a few days or I can hook it up to my lighter with a usb adaptor.
If you know of someone who has an older iphone you could get it for nothing and have less than $20 invested.
Here are some screen shots of a few of the MANY different maps available.

Forest Sevice topo and a zoomed in photo of the same map

A sat image and a zoom of the same area

Google terrain map

ESRI topo map

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
By the way this phone no longer is connected to verizon as I replaced it with a new phone. You might be able to check at a cell phone dealer and see if the have any returns or trade ins you could get cheap. The iphone screen is extremely clear. I've got a otterbox on this one. I fell and hit the screen hard enough that it gouged the otterbox protective screen but the phone screen never got
damaged.
There is a public land ownership overlay map available that has limited use on the non pro version of gaia maps but it is supposed to work better with the pro version
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
Benbow,
Its my understanding that if using your phone as a GPS, you are still operating off cell signal and not utilizing the GPS satellites.
Is that correct?
Many places I hunt have no cell service, so that would be an issue.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
No they do not need cell service to work. The iphone has it's own gps receiver. It can help the quality of the location but it isn't needed. I've used this in areas without cell coverage and it pin points me exactly on the sat image to known locations on the ground.
Also I've had a garmin Oregon 400 with topo maps at work and it wasn't even close to the quality of the iphone with gaia maps

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
wow  interesting.. i also had a etrex20 that my wife bought me but i never used it.. just didnt have what i wanted on it , im a stupid sob when it comes to gps's  i just want to be able to save locations then be able to get a bearing and distance from my current location to that point and be able to use a compass from there. i do have access to a operational iphone 4 that my daughter no longer uses ...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
Dave you have a gps and a compass in the iphone 4. You can create routes and way points in google earth then save them to a gpx file and e-mail it to your phone and open them all up in the gaia map app. You can connect to the internet with wifi and use a gmail account to e-mail the gpx files to the iphone. Gaia maps has a great feature that tracks your route and you can create waypoints where ever you want.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
Dave you can have your daughter give you lessons on it too. These kids are amazing on this stuff.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
Kenneth if I remember right I could transfer maps, routes, and waypoints to gaia maps using the itunes program on my computer when I connected my phone to the computer. So if your wifi doesn't work you might be able to update your maps that way.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
I purchased a Garmin 62S a few years back and it does fine. I mostly use it to get out of the woods and locate my stand at times. It seems tough on batteries but I haven't made a comparison to others. No regrets but I'm sure I could have gone a little cheaper and picked up some extra Goldtips with what remained.Perhaps someday I'll use it to it's potential and download some goodies on it.

Offline picapica

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »
Garmin 60CSX.

My GPS has to be waterproof, I have to be able to drop it, and it has to work at or below freezing temps. I also like 2 days of use from replaceable batteries.

I would never trust a cell phone to meet these criterion and I'm not sure a touch screen would either. I can download free maps, waypoints, and points of interest. I can also create my own routes, modify them on the computer, then transfer them back to the gps. NO need to fuss with wifi, email, or download services; it cables directly to my computer and you simply send maps, points, or routes directly back and forth. It's also works great in the car with power from the cig lighter.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
I have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx.  I am definitely not the person to ask about what would be the best GPS. But this works for me.

I only use it when I am in the mountains hunting elk.  I put in the camp and way points for springs and wallows and such.  

I always have a compass with and usually a map.  On one trip I spent a day just getting to know the terrain of a mountain and used the Gps to take the most direct way back to camp.

I know that is pretty basic stuff, but it worked fine.  I don't think I would use my cell phone because of lack of battery power for an entire week of mtn hunting.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by threeunder:
Would like to hear from those of you that regularly use a GPS.

What is your favorite?  Why?

Also, any you would recommend staying away from.

I currently have a Garmin Oregon.
I am currently using a Garmin Oregon 450.  I am a VERY AVID GPS user.  I will not go in the woods without mine.  It is by far the easiest and best way to learn a new area or even learn better ways to navigate your old hunting grounds in my opinion.  

With that being said, there are a few things that I HAVE TO HAVE in a GPS.

1.Birdseye imagery capability  

I can not tell you how many times this year alone I have come up lucky while spot and stalking hogs while using my birdseye imagery.  When you're walking you can look at different terrain, etc.  I always try to walk the edge of the "thicket" and it is a great resource for that.  

2. A tri-axillary compass
What this does is allows you to know which way you are facing without having to take any steps.  On a Bi-axillary compass you will have to walk some to see to see exactly which way you are facing.  (THIS IS HUGE TO ME)

3. Buttons  
This is all personally preference, but I like buttons as compared to a touch screen(although I own a touch screen).  With gloves or wet fingers, etc buttons are a lot more convenient that a touch screen for me.

4.sims card capability  
The extra storage is very handy when you are adding a lot of birdseye imagery on your GPS.  I have every piece of public land in LA saved on my GPS right now.  So when i get ready to go, i'll just go. There are also a lot of great topo's and such you can purchase online that come on a micro SD card.  

These are just a few things I prefer in a GPS.  As a given,  you want something that is great at acquiring and keeping signal.  

One other thing I will add is I had to have one that took batteries and not a rechargeable battery.  

As a general rule, the larger the screen, the less the battery life, but the better you can see.  

I hope this helped, sorry if it wasn't what you are looking for.  

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Very interesting Benbow

Yesterday I was in a Verizon store. GPS subject came up with store manager. He said  GPS systems that come standard with the current Iphone are the best GPS systems out with the lastest mapping  bar none.

So I imagine your absolutely right on the money getting a outdated iphone and upgrade through your computer.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
I have a Garmin Oregon that I like a lot, but I recently got an iphone, and this thread has me thinking. Hmmm….
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
The iphone is definitely not as durable as the garmin units plus the aren't waterproof either. I live in the high desert so it's not a big issue for me. Though I've never had issues with the phone when I was in the rain. I know there are some android phones that are waterproof.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©