3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite GPS  (Read 524 times)

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite GPS
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
no problem with the iphone in rain  they make waterproof case for that  they even can be submerged for quite a while with certain cases.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by BenBow:
The iphone is definitely not as durable as the garmin units plus the aren't waterproof either. I live in the high desert so it's not a big issue for me. Though I've never had issues with the phone when I was in the rain. I know there are some android phones that are waterproof.
take a look at lifeproof cases  ive used them for a few years, they are very slim, waterproof and pretty dang shockproof
  http://www.lifeproof.com/en/?medium=tsa&gclid=CjwKEAiA68WnBRCJxZr5qoaL3iMSJAAXIrr3THUeZfIqggyET635LR3ErLuXQvpsICgVexDpEmPnWxoCpsHw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

benbow, thanks for the info im sure my daughter can figure all that out, im pretty much a map and compass guy I actually have a old lowrance that's about the size and weight of a dang brick and im sure as outdated as they come but I still use it some scouting to just save waypoints then transfer them to a quad map.. I probably need to join this century I guess      :)
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
no problem with the iphone in rain  they make waterproof case for that  they even can be submerged for quite a while with certain cases.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
Good idea on the lifeproof case
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
Very timely thread. I just recently  and finally upgraded to an Android.I done a search in the Play Store and found a free version of BackCountry Navigator. I'll dink around with it for a while and if the free version does what I need so much the better but I can get the Pro version for $11.99. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a GPS before this thread. We'll see how it goes. Thanks Guys
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Google GPS Kit for another iphone app that is rated highly but I've not used it. It has a few more features than gaia map like tracking friends that has it on their phone with their permission. You can chat with each other too. Costs $10.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
I have had the entry model etrex for several years. Its been well worth the money and is a great value for basic navigation. If I upgrade it will be for property boundary capability. Would be great to know exactly where I am if hunting BLM out west.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
Got a real basic Garmin Etrex.  Pretty clunky to use, but I'm used to it and I basically just use it to mark base camp, wallows, rubs and other points of interest.  It will point me in the general direction and off I go.  I will check now and then as I close the distance to zero in on the location.  Works great.   I had a friend email me coordinates of several elk spots in a location in Colorado completely new to me.  I manually entered them into my GPS before leaving on the trip.  I was able to walk right to all the locations.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by PUDDLE JUMPER:
I have had the entry model etrex for several years. Its been well worth the money and is a great value for basic navigation. If I upgrade it will be for property boundary capability. Would be great to know exactly where I am if hunting BLM out west.
X2

I had the eTrex Legend for years and did fine. Just marked truck, camp, wallows, etc. Worked great for that. Last year, upgraded to a Garmin 62s and added onX Hunt Maps, so I could locate property boundaries and ownerships. Still use it the same way, but now I know who's property I am on.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline picapica

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
I spent a full day out in the field, mid-winter testing several systems with some friends. We had 2 Garmin GPSmap 60csx, a Garmin Oregon 450, 2 different Samsung phones, and a Droid X phone. We had a previous route downloaded to each unit and followed that route through out the day.
One of the phones had an expensive case, so it seemed weatherproof, the other 2 phone did OK because it wasn't snowing much. The Garmins came from the factory ready for anything.
The 2 Samsung phone batteries were dead before we were done with our day of navigation tests. The Droid X phone had an easily replaceable battery.
Navigation worked well on all 5 units until the 2 Samsung phones died from the heavy satellite use. Buttons on the GPS 60csx units seemed to work better in the cold and with light gloves on.
They all allowed us to follow the previously downloaded route.

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
Got a real basic Garmin Etrex.  Pretty clunky to use, but I'm used to it and I basically just use it to mark base camp, wallows, rubs and other points of interest.  It will point me in the general direction and off I go.  I will check now and then as I close the distance to zero in on the location.  Works great.   I had a friend email me coordinates of several elk spots in a location in Colorado completely new to me.  I manually entered them into my GPS before leaving on the trip.  I was able to walk right to all the locations.
Same for me. I would like a more advanced model but for my budget the Etrex 10 is sufficient and does the basic functions that I need.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
I have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCX.  Great little unit and I never head into the woods without it.  It is invaluable when trying to navigate in the dark, swampy areas, and deep south where not points of interests can be seen.    That being said I love the SAT view on my iPhone and use it all the time.  I just don't want to rely on it of my safety.  Be careful on those phone apps that let your share locations with friends.  It is a great feature and we use in on spot and stalk hunts for pigs in GA but it eats up battery life.
T ZZZZ

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Well, I got the Gaia app for my phone, and I like it, but I still prefer the Garmin Oregon. I think that for me at least, the Garmin is preferable in true backcountry situations, but I will still use the app for less extreme conditions. Your mileage may vary.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©