3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 466 gr Arrow  (Read 901 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
466 gr Arrow
« on: February 26, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
I plan to hunt with this set up, deer only. 51# @ 28 super ghost, for me it will be 48# @ 27. It comes out to 9.7 gr per pound. Im not sure whuch broadhead I will shoot. I need 145 gr head to add to my 50 gr insert. What arrow weight are you planning on shooting and what head?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 466 gr Arrow
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
I'm planning on running my deer setup right around 590 grains, shooting 48# @27. I use 190 grain Simmons Treesharks with a 100 grain insert.

Since I don't have a long draw or high draw weight, I like a sharp head with heavy FOC and overall weight to get the job done.

You should be fine at 9.7 gpp!
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
What is your arrow set up Shreffler? Brand, length, spine? fletching?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
I'll be using two arrow setups, mostly because I want to compare them.  I shoot easton full metal jackets, cut to 29.5 inches, brass insert and 200 grain head.  Total weight 630 grains out of my 53@28 recurve.  I'm also shooting arrow dynamics hammerhead lites, also with brass inserts and 200 grain heads but a quarter inch shorter.  I haven't weighed the ad's yet, but they're well over 700 grains.  I draw 27.5 inches and both these setups fly flawlessly.  200 grain centaur battle axe, and simmons interceptors will be on the business end.

I haven't anywhere near the experience a lot of guys have on here, but really like heavier arrows.  Some folks worry about trajectory loss, but it's something I can live with for the benefits.

All that said, your arrows with a scary sharp broadhead will be just fine, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
CE heritage 350's total arrow weight 640grs 50#@26 with 190gr treesharks 50 grbrass inserts and 10 gr brass washers for turkey. I might change to single bevel Abowyers or some other one piece solid single bevel head for deer season, maybe.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
I shoot lots of different arrows from lots of different bows with lots of different weights and brands of broadheads...diversity is the spice of life...I usually make a decision on a couple of combinations I will focus on just before hunting season

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
Sounds like Im a little on the light side compared to yall.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
You planning to shoot some bionic deer that you think you need more than a 450 grain arrow...I shoot 900+ grain arrow for moose and elk purely because I can but right now I am trying to come up with a bow that will shoot 400 to 450 grain arrows for deer...I thought I had just bought one but it turns out to be close to 55 pounds at my 30 inch draw length

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
My arrows weigh in at 440 grains. I shoot a 40@28 Bear Montana longbow...and draw a touch over 27". Shot 5 deer with this setup last year..and they all had 2 holes in em.

Arrows are 29" easton 1816's...with a 125 grain magnus stinger.

Your arrow weight will be fine.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »
Dave, no I do not plan on that. I really just wanted to hear what yall are going to shoot deer with and seems like most people shoot well over 500 gr. I know some do go light and do fine, which I have been reassured by the results they gave me.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
[email protected]" Sarrels Blueridge longbow

32" Gold Tip XT Hunter 55/75 with 100gr brass insert and 150gr point/broadhead (my broadheads are German Kinetic Silverflame XL's) and 3-4" parabolic feathers. 530gr total arrow weight.

Bisch

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
That sounds like a good weight to me bro... If you get too heavy the trajectory takes a nose dive on you..... I like to stay between 9.5 & 10.5 on my set ups..... i hunted elk the last few years with 55# @30"  570 grains. I'm setting up an ILF rig right now that goes from 44-47 @ 30" I'm going to use on deer turkey & pigs, and i'm trying to end up around 9.5 gpp......  but the jury is still out on actual gpp until i get bare shafted and dialed in.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
VA Elite, I shoot a heavier arrow because if my shot is not so perfect on an animal I want just a little more penetration or running it into or through bone just incase I need it. Trajectory doesn't matter much to me because I keep all my shots at all animals within 15 yards and the weight doesn't hurt it can only help me. Quiets my bow and better penetration on less than desirable hits. For me, I like that extra weight to be there just incase I need it..... You will be fine shooting with your setup you could kill anything in North America with your setup. You don't need a 900 gr arrow unless you're shooting bionic elk lol!!
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
640 grains and VPA 3 blades, 250gr 1 1/4 and 300gr 1 1/2 inch wide and either 50gr or 100gr brass insert. Shots here are 20yds and under so trajectory is not to much of an issue. I can always get a heavier arrow to be quieter and love a quiet bow on our spooky whitetail.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
I shoot Woodsmens, Zwickey Deltas, Stos and Abowyer Wapitis on Sweetland Forgewoods and Easton Axis shafts, about 600 grains total weight out of 50# ACSs or Morrison Shawnees.  What I shoot depends on what happens to catch my eye before I go out.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
I shoot them because you can't make a deer too dead.  Like msbow said, it sure doesn't hurt anything.  I shot a doe last season, my interceptor tipped fmj went in just above the point of the shoulder and shattered the offside femur before she snapped the last 8 inches off when she jumped.  When I found her there were two giant holes in her, and the fractured offside leg sure didn't do much to aid in her escape.

Would a 466 grain arrow have done the same thing???  Perhaps??  The extra weight sure as heck didn't hurt my cause, so it will continue to be in my quiver.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
I did some playing around on stu calculator. If I bumped my weight up, I don't get any more KE. In fact, It seems to go backwards. Now I don't know if 34# of KE from a 466 gr arrow is any different from 34# of KE from a 500 gr arrow. If I were to go heavier it would be to make the bow more quiet. I have shot some arrows well over 500 gr and they make the bow much quieter, but I don't think the bow is loud now.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
KE is a meaningless figure when it comes to penetration. All it measures is the amount of energy transferred to the arrow from the bow. You want to look at momentum. A heavier object once set in motion is harder to stop than a lighter one. For instance, would you rather get hit with a pingpong ball going 200 fps or a golfball going 170 fps?

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Screamin is right on the money! Momentum is what you want to look at as far as penetration goes.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
I read so many arguments about KE vs MOM. It's about 50/50 on which one matters. Some of the articles get very scientific.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©