3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: JD Berry ARGOS.... Any PICS or Info?  (Read 371 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
JD Berry ARGOS.... Any PICS or Info?
« on: February 26, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
Hey all.

I was nosing around on JD BERRY's site looking at his bows and one caught my eye, the ARGOS.
I don't think I've read or seen any posts about this one so I thought I'd ask you guys for some info.
This isn't a HILL style bow is it?

I'd like to see some pics of it from those that own them. Also, if you don't mind, how about telling a bit about it?

Thanks
Nalajr

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: JD Berry ARGOS.... Any PICS or Info?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
I have one, but I'm not in the position wright now to post any pictures.

All I can say is sweeeeeeet!!!

I have certain bows in my collection I won't sell, like my Black Widow, my Whip, my A&H, and my Argos.

It's one of those bows I will never sell.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
Nala
There is one or two reviews of them on the product reviews.

A search here will bring some up for sure.

I'll post you some pics here in just a bit
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
His bows are really nice.  I like the looks of that ARGOS.  It looks like a Hill style but it has a bit of reflex to it.  I'd like to know how it would compare to my Martin Savannah.  Mine certainly has more bend in the limbs than the ARGOS does, but I don't know how much of a difference that would make.

I'd certainly like to shoot one.

JD BERRY has quite a bit of a following.  When I asked the other question above about "if you were going to buy a HILL style right now....." his bows get many mentions, second only to the actual Ekin Hill bows.

JD Berry must have figured something out that the others haven't cause I see mentioned all the time about how his Hill styles perform and shoot better than the others.  Anecdotal evidence for sure, but it does get me curious.

Thanks for the info and the links Brian.

Naalajr

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
I have an Argos.It does everything I could want it to.The Argos shoots very well for me and accuratly.It has an exellant feel overall.I really enjoy shooting it.Very pleasurable bow for me to kill time with.I have been grabbing it off the rack alot.

Its 66 inches and I draw it over 29 inches.Its a handsome looking bow with nice clean streamlined lines.I like the positive locator grip.

The shorter 12 inch riser gives it a long working limb thats very smooth.Its light in the hand.Its stable with just a very light bump when shot.Quiet shooting as you would expect with its design.The cast is excellant.I have been shooting pretty heavy arrows of around 550 grains.About 11 grains per pound.

Thumbs up:)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
I have shot a lot of longbows and JD Berry is second to none.  He is a craftsman for sure - but his design and tiller just makes a top performing longbow.  And he does it at a very reasonable price.  I've said it before, you can spend more on a long bow but you CANNOT get a better one then James Berry bows.  I recently just added a new Taipan to my collection and that thing is just magical - I have not shot it much as I have been traveling and using a takedown but I can pick it up cold, slap just about any arrow I have on it and hit pie plates pretty consistently out to 25 yards (which is about the level of my ability) in the hands of a better archer I am sure you could shoot 2 inch groups with this thing as it is so easy to point and shoot.  James Berry is one of the top bowyers in the country no doubt.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
I just got a new JD Berry Argos 2 days ago and I love it!!  I am new to long bows, so I am not consistent with it yet, but that is me, not the bow.  it is awesome.  James is a master bowyer, craftsman and artist.  The bow is beautiful in a simple elegant way, and is butter smooth on the draw, quiet, and shoots very fast.  I will post pictures as soon as I can.  We lost the USB cable for our camera, so haven't taken any photos yet.  I may stop at work and borrow one of my work cameras, but I have to leave this morning to be out of town until Sunday.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
Yeah, we've gotta see some pics of your new bow.

Thanks all for the info.

Nalajr

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
I have no personal experience with a Martin Savannah and have heard good things about them but I don't think you can compare any factory bow (regardless of how good they may be) with a JD Berry.  JD Berry are second to none and truly great bows by a master bowyer.

I have a Taipan and Renaissance and love them!  They are in my "will never sell" category of bows.  I cant wait to get my Morningstar either!

I believe JD Berry has scaled back a lot, not taking many if any orders and focusing on high quality and making just the bows he enjoys the most which are ASL's.  Not speaking for him just last info I was aware of.

He is very nice to speak with and a true master bowyer.  If I was you I would try and snatch up any used Berry bow in the classifieds to see how much you like them, then try and order one or find a used Argo.

Full disclosure, I have not shot a Argos but imagine they shoot as well as the models I have shot which means it is a tack driver of a bow.  His bows are better shots than I am for sure!
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
Theres one in the classifieds now
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »
Don't have access.....

Nalajr

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Nala, Right now I am only taking ASL orders. Not sure when I will open books for Duo-Flex.  ..OE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©