3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sewing machine  (Read 592 times)

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sewing machine
« on: February 27, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
After seeing Haversack build along I have idea of what I can do with my grandfathers woolrich shirt I have kept all these years even though its too small. lol

Will any sewing machine work for wool Or does it have to be heavy duty or? I googled but have only gotten more confused.
Many on **** cheap
thanks in advance

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
My wife sews constantly.
She has made me wool shirts. About any quality sewing machine should handle the job.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by macbow:
My wife sews constantly.
She has made me wool shirts. About any quality sewing machine should handle the job.
Yup. Most any will be fine.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
I have sewed some pretty heavy materials (back pack straps, etc) with a standard machine.  Each machine will be different, minimally use new and proper type needles on every job.  Makes a HUGE difference on heavy outdoor stuff like we use.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
I have sewed some pretty heavy materials (back pack straps, etc) with a standard machine.  Each machine will be different, minimally use new and proper type needles on every job.  Makes a HUGE difference on heavy outdoor stuff like we use.

Dan in KS
X2

a new needle (installed properly   :knothead: ) and matched for the fabric you are sewing is very important.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline nleroux2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 11:06:00 PM »
I've got 4 machines in my shop, from a light duty household type to a heavy duty walking foot that will sew through 3/4" pine boards. Generally speaking, as commented above, get the right needle and thread, and if you can get it under the foot, you can sew it.
I hunt; Therefore I eat well.
Currently in the freezer: Venison, Hog.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
All trad shooters should have a sewing machine.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
I also need easy    :dunno:  

I am looking at      for $139 NEW
think I am gonna pull the trigger on it tonight
project pics to follow    :D

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
I'm really happy I decided to buy a good sewing machine. I've always wanted to modify my gear and even make some of it, but had no way to do it. I spent a huge amount of time researching used machines and beating myself silly with doubts about what to get. I heard everything new was junk and everything old was impossible to keep serviced or tuned. I finally talked to a woman who lives in Wyoming and does a lot of custom sewing for horse people. She favored strongly built and somewhat older units for this type work (as opposed to entry-level machines) and that nailed it down for me. I bought a 1970s vintage Bernina made in Switzerland. Found it on C-list and drove 200+ miles to get it. I compare it to a Rolex and you can be sure I appreciate it. No circuit board or computer. Hearing it run is amazing, and it's as smooth as soft butter. I can sew anything from light gossamer silk to medium leather, heavy cordura, webbing, etc. Great investment and one I should have made much sooner.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Great post Kevin... you have me surfing the net now... Could you post a picture?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
Bernina 830. Mine came loaded with original case, extension table, accessories and even an original Bernina walking foot. I was amazed at how nice the condition was and how long these units can sew. They don't come cheap though, and are in demand.

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks Kevin I may take that route also

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
That's perfect Kevin, thank you sir!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
The walking foot comes in handy when you are sewing heavier materials.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
You can find used/refurbished ones as well from Sewing machine shops.  Worth looking in to.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
You know you're a hard core bow hunter when you buy your own sewing machine to work on your clothes and equipment!    :)
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 12:37:00 AM »
the cylinder arm on the bernina is a handy tool.
many of the older singers are great machines.
i have an industrial flat bed machine and it does well-and a heavy leather stitcher for the heavy- 3/4" stuff.
for me one of the bigger things i like is a wider throat- so that you can get a pile of fabric through the throat. problem with industrial machines as that they will only do one job, those berninas will do zig zag, button holes etc etc
and they are tough machines as home machines go- probably the best ones out there!

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 02:38:00 AM »
Only on tradgang !  I get smirks from the guys at work when I tell them I make my own equipment.  Of course they're wheels and gun powder guys.  Very interesting post!

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 03:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
Bernina 830. Mine came loaded with original case, extension table, accessories and even an original Bernina walking foot. I was amazed at how nice the condition was and how long these units can sew. They don't come cheap though, and are in demand.
Great machine! The 830 and 801 are the last of the all-mechanical Berninas. The only real difference between them is the knee-lifter on the 830.

How do I know this stuff? My partner has both an 830 and an 801, though I claim the 801 is mine. She also has two more Berninas (computer controlled embroidery machines), a Brother (also a computer controlled embroidery machine), an overlocker, and a computer controlled quilting frame. And people say archery is expensive!
Alan

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »
Alan is spot-on. I've heard of people who have several (expensive) machines, loads of fabric, accessories and all the accoutrements that go with a first-class sew shop. The investment tops 5-figures in a hurry. There are websites, forums and it never stops.

I've seen guys turn out some pretty fine gear, such as pack bags, pouches, zippered cases, and many custom touches. I'm not at that level, but the only thing stopping me is...me. I wanted one machine I could trust 100% to be good, strong and accurate. Spend once and be done.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©