3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sewing machine  (Read 593 times)

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sewing machine
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by alaninoz:
... And people say archery is expensive! [/qb]
Alan, that's no joke. I do think I am going to be a victim/benefactor of the same though.  My wife picked up quilting from  neighbor a few months back, she just purchased her second Bernina(both old models) the neighbor is about 5-6 machines into it, rents a long-arm every couple months too.

I just want to reenforce the stitching in my pants, make a few mods to gear and have a couple things that work the way I want them to. Interesting to see this thread pop up when it does..... Must be idle hands season.
Shootz!

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
Am I the only one that still hand sews all their stuff?  We have a machine, but it's not up to heavy materials, so I do all my leather and stuff by hand.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »

Hard to beat an old Singer!
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Oldbow KY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
Nice post Mates. Very interesting.

Does anyone have a source for wool plaids in the 18-29 oz. range??   Without breaking the bank?
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

West KY Trad Gang Board
Supper Shrew Golden 56"- 48#
Dwyer, Endeavor 58"-44#
Black Creek Banchee 38#
Bear T/D "A" 56", 50# fish bow

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 03:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by halfseminole:
Am I the only one that still hand sews all their stuff?  We have a machine, but it's not up to heavy materials, so I do all my leather and stuff by hand.
Nope. For all the fancy machines around the house I still do most of my sewing by hand. Only use the machines for clothing.
Alan

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
I learned some valuable stuff from a guy who lived in Montreal. He was a dedicated hand-stitcher and gave me some good pointers about sewing by hand. There are really 2 or 3 negatives if they matter: Seams won't be as perfect-looking. Fingers might get sore. It will take longer. BUT, you can sew a tighter stitch by hand and do little customizations that would make you crazy with a machine. I hand-stitched a bunch of custom webbing to my packframe a few years ago. It involved bar-tacking 3 layers of heavy 1" wide nylon webbing. Every stitch was made holding the crewel (needle) with pliers, and I used heavy upholstery thread. It took many hours to add all the webbing to the frame. My bar-tacks were so tight they squeaked. Nothing will ever make them fail I'm certain. I use that frame to haul heavy loads of meat and supplies into camp. I might have been able to do the sewing on my Bernina, but managing the frame and webbing would have taken serious thought and maybe an extra set of hands. Nothing will ever replace hand-stitching, but nothing will ever get me to part with my machine either.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
my wife has a 30 year old Singer (newer ones are disposable) and a new Brother quilting machine. after seeing the heavy, thick quilt material she outs thru them wool would not be a problem with either machine.

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
I have a high $$$ Husqvarna(sp) that my wife inherited from her grandma. She sewed a dress or shirt or something on it 20yrs ago, and has not touched it since. I use it all the time for fixing up hunting clothes and stuff!

Bisch

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
I like this thread (pun intended).  I like to use my sewing machines a lot.  Here is one of my favorites that I think you folks may enjoy.  It's called simply Elna, some folks call it a No1 because it was the first sewing machine Elna produced, or the Grasshopper because of its looks.  They were made in Switzerland between 1940 and 1952 or so.  It is super portable and folds up neatly into this little case.

Here's what it looks like inside:

Here's the Grasshopper all set up.  Notice the case makes its own work table, cool design.

Here's a closeup of the Grasshopper for your edification:

I have a couple of these because spare parts are tough to come by.  Hope you enjoyed.

Tom

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 06:27:00 AM »
Now THAT'S traditional! Cool machine Tom.

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
I use this 1/2 horsepower commercial machine. Haven't hooked it back up since I moved. I don't worry about changing the needles very often with this one.

Agree, wool should be easy to sew.

[/IMG]

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by sswv:
my wife has a 30 year old Singer (newer ones are disposable) and a new Brother quilting machine. after seeing the heavy, thick quilt material she outs thru them wool would not be a problem with either machine.
I agree about the newer Singers. My wife has one that's less than 10 years old and is junk. When it started acting up she was told it would cost more to repair than replace.

Ironically enough, my 100-year-old Singer treadle machine still works great.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
wow that elna is cool.
Elna's are still a popular make today!

2 nocks-  those industrial machines are pretty skookhum, and really easy to work on, set timing etc. just that industrial machines are not multifunctional, like the home machines. but I sure prefer them!

Offline emac396

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
I scored a Kenmore from a friend "FREE" Its perfect starter machine. Before I dive into making a pullover from my Grandads old woolrich I need to do a few starter projects, Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance pics would be great.
              Ed

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
You could always start with a bow sock.  simple tube and useful. I made a camo fleece pull over hoody years ago in a home-ec class. buried deep somewhere by now.   :rolleyes:
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
I've wanted one for years. I've always hand stitched the things I've made or repaired, but a machine sure would be faster, and do a nicer job.

There are other things I've wanted to do, but the amount of stitching needed, has kept me from doing them.

How cool is this? A site where a bunch of guys can talk about sewing machines, and not get laughed at.  :bigsmyl:  

I've gotta get one, one of these days.

Bob

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
emac396, you may want to buy some inexpensive, cotton muslin material to begin with. Make several items with it till you learn the ropes. If you screw up, it does not cost much and allows you a good chance for a do-over before committing your expensive material to a project. I admire your initiative. I have threatened to learn to sew a few times but have not yet done so.
Sam

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gray Buffalo:
All trad shooters should have a sewing machine.
x2!!

i just finished a bino harness. i'd be lost without my sewing machine.
i mean, imagine not having custom gear.   :scared:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©