3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Paying it Forward....  (Read 1021 times)

Paying it Forward....
« on: February 28, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
Many of you know these three gents.  

The first two I got to know real well during a four year romp in China.  The first one calls himself  "Mudd"  the second guy is known but the name “Captain” or more commonly as     Dick Wightman  .

Having been a member of Trad Gang from its inception I knew of Mudd from exposure to his “God Bless” signature but that is about the extent of the relationship until many years later, during my third year in China.  When I had finally found a decent point of access to the internet while in NanChang City, Jiangxi Province, I got to know Mudd on more of a personal level via internet…right here at Trad Gang Central.  

Mudd, AKA Roy Williams, knowing that I was a lover of longbows, and not being able to touch one much less shoot he allowed me to live a Trad experience through his life.  He took me on his roving, stumping, and numerous back yard experiences, fed me all sorts of data (he grumbled a bit here) on bows, arras, and such as he would shoot in his living room.  

When I finally set foot on American soil following that four year stint, he had already packaged a new longbow and a Bison Gear haversack together and sent it to my brother, waiting for me.  I had that bow in my hands less than 12 hours after we landed in Grand Rapids, Michigan from our departure in Shanghai China.   What a guy!!      :archer:  

Years earlier I got to know the other guy, Dick Wightman AKA Dick in Seattle on TG.  

Dick was the only other contact I had during my Chinese excursion.  He kept me up to speed on the historically significant things of Howard Hill and his bows.  He actually had one of Howard’s bows at the time.  He was instrumental in compiling tons of historical facts, photos, etc of nearly all aspects of the American Semi Longbow.  Many here on Trad Gang know him well.  

When I first contacted Dick, he was in the beginning stages of building his own glassed “flat bows” as he called them.  He had sold much of his priceless Longbow collection to purchase some top end machinery used for bow building.  About one year prior to my leaving China, Dick invited me to his home in Seattle to plan and build a bow with me. One that I could take home when finished…at no cost to me.

What a generous gesture to share his experience and time.  

The point here is this:  It doesn’t cost much, if anything to touch and bless a life.  Mudd fed me with that which I missed dearly.  Dick did the same in a different way.  Both guys effectively “Paid it Forward’ gladly and I am forever grateful for them.    Is that Cool?   Way I’m Sayin’

Now see if you can catch how this all ties together...

The last fellow I have only known for a month or so.   I recently read on a thread from a few years ago where Dick Wightman was manning table at a trad gathering somewhere in Washington State.  On his table were for sale two longbows among some other stuff.  A guy approached him and asked why he was selling those bows.  He told the man it was because he was no longer able to draw them.  The man told him that was no big deal and “could take care of that for him”.  

The man’s name is   James Berry  .  James, without a second thought took care of Mr Whightman, possibly not knowing who he was.  Dick shared with James that he had a hankering to build a longbow of his own style but had no idea how to do that.  James invited him into his shop, built a form for him and took time to show him what was involved in building a bow… then sent him on his way…another happy, novice bowyer.  Another life touched and changed.

I am certainly blessed to know these three guys….they are cut from the same cloth.  There are a few like them within the ranks of the Trad Community.  You know who they are.  

Gentlemen, thanks all for what you have taught me over the years.  I look forward to an opportunity to pay the experience forward.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Paying it Forward....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
What a great Tribute and reflection of what this life we travel through should be. And not just in traditional archery, but in every facet of our lives!    :pray:

Thank you so much for sharing and giving us "food for thought".
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
Great guys, all..

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Good stuff!!!!  There ARE great people in this world.....we need to hear more of this and less of the bad stuff.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
It is not hard to imagine that there are many similar stories within our ranks.

Feel free to share one!  Good folk need to be recognized for their selflessness.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
That's why we all hang out here. Great people!
USMC 82-86

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
I will be amazed if there aren't dozens of such stories on here.

I was carrying on a discussion with one of the moderators about a longbow and trying to decide what I should buy. This guy sent me his bow, wouldn't even let me pay the postage,and the only string attached was to have it back to him in time for a hog hunt several months away. It didn't take me two months to learn I really liked the bow, but I was really overwhelmed that he would do something like that.

I've been trying ever since then to "pay it forward" and prove worthy of this bunch of guys that hang out here. Terry has accumulated quite a gang that has become friends over the internet. Once in a while I get to meet some of them in person and it's always fun. Most of all, it reaffirms my belief that we are still a great society that is trustworthy, honest and desires to help wherever possible. Oh yeah, they also like to bowhunt   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
Cool stories, thanks for sharing.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
Nice to hear your stories; does not surprise me there are people willing to help others and they are involved in traditional archery.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
Great story, thanks for sharing. Like a good friend of mine always says "there has to be an axe murderer in the trad community, everyone is just too nice".

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Elkchaser:
What a great Tribute and reflection of what this life we travel through should be. And not just in traditional archery, but in every facet of our lives!     :thumbsup:  to you all.

There are still some good people left in this world and In the short time I've been here, I'm starting to think that a lot of them hang out here.   ;)  Thanks for sharing that with us.

Bob

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
Great stuff there  :clapper:  

Bill

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 02:21:00 AM »
:clapper:
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
Awesome   :clapper:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
Macatawa,
Nice tribute...   :thumbsup:  . When I was getting into Traditional Archery, I was fortunate to meet two TG members on another site. Both mentored me and gave me plenty of encouragement. In fact one offered to lend me his bow. I was blown away by the generousity of a total stranger... Yep, alot good people here.   :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
I am humbled that I would be mentioned in such a wonderful way.

I think I have been the recipient of good coming from others here in Tradgang more than any one person deserves.

I have received gifts of all kinds over the years, some very large,others not large or expensive but none the less very meaningful to me.

I continue to receive way more than I give.

The best and most treasured gift is and always has been the love and friendship of you guys and the one I have and will continue to to offer to others in as many ways as I can.

There are so many names running through my mind that I owe so much to for their kindness toward me.

This Tradgang family has much to be proud of and it starts at the "top", I say "top" only in the sense of a leadership that set the expectation of all of being ladies and gentlemen in how we interact with we other....and you people go out of your way to make that a way of life here and I thank you for it.

God bless,Mudd

PS:I love you folks...each and every one of you.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
That is really awesome! There a lot of great individuals on here that are willing to share advice,encouragement and praise. I have had my share of positive experiences on this site. Great place and great people! What  a great story!

Offline Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing,Awesome
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
Makes one feel reeeeeeal good, and very blessed, to be a part of all this.     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©