3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flu-Flu's?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
Flu-Flu's?
« on: March 01, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
I have not shot or made any flu-flu's, but plan on making some for aerial target shooting this spring.

I have full length TrueFlight feathers and a few questions.
  • Are most flu-flu's 4 fletch?

• What length should the fletching be for a 45# bow?

• Should I try the spiral?

• Is a regular or spiral flu-flu better?

Love to see photos of your flu-flu's.

Thanks guys,
Dave

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flu-Flu's?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »
Will be watching this thread.  Would like to make up a few also.
T ZZZZ

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
I made some that are 5.5" shield cut 6 fletch.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
I think spirals slow down the quickest. Done some four fletch and six fletch, six fletch seemed to slow down quicker. Don't think one is necessarily better. The idea is not to have to chase them too far. Standard lengths are fine, bow poundage has nothing to do with fletch length IMO.

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
Go over to trueflightfeathers . com...

They have a excellent article on spiral flu flu's.  Plan on doing a dozen for this spring too!!  Post some up if anyone has any!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
twin full length spiral fletching is the slowest and travels the least.  

my fave is a six fletch with 4" to 6" feathers that are not shaped, and use lotsa helical.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
you can also trim the height of the feather to speed up flight no matter what type of feather style you use.
Kevin Day

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
I prefer spirals. They are lound so most things will here them coming.
But they can me trimmed to different shapes.
I prefer trimming them like a banana or magnum cut.
Slickhead

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
I hunt geese (or try to) so you need some oomph out to 30 yards. I'm shooting 4x90 degrees helical 4" uncut feathers and they carry 100 yards. Spiral will not carry that far so it depends on your usage.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 04:04:00 AM »
I prefer spiral. Good out to about 30yrd. I use the softer flu flu featers from 3 rivers.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 05:54:00 AM »
We have white spiral fluflu feathers in stock.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
I personally am not a fan of spiral wrapped flu flu's. As said above, they only go about 30 yards and really slow down before hitting anything. I've hit a foam target with a spiral before and had it bounce off. You don't have to go very far to chase em though!

I usually do mine 4 fletched with 4 inch full length feathers. They usually go about 70 yards or so. They still smoke a target (whether foam or an animal), but you don't have to go too far to chase them.

I'll try and post some pictures up later once I'm home from work.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the opinions and pictures. I have about 15 acres of hay right now on one part of my farm that I have at least 1300ft to shoot.

I would rather have a little more umph and speed to get the arrow where it needs to be. If it flies 70 yards that is not a big deal as I have the space and my field has not one rock that I have ever seen. I have actually done some flight shooting in this field, that is fun.

Like I mentioned in my op, I want these for aerial shooting at foam disks, so I would think the extra speed would be nice.

Do the 4-4" flu-flu's come pretty much straight down and stick in the ground vertical? Will they do this even when shot fairly horizontal to the ground?

Thanks
Dave

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Archer Dave:
Do the 4-4" flu-flu's come pretty much straight down and stick in the ground vertical? Will they do this even when shot fairly horizontal to the ground?

Thanks
Dave
all depends on distance and trajectory angle.  it'll take a near 45 degree angle for any arrow to come down vertical.  i mostly shoot 4" full vanes and full helical, as a 6-fletch because those are the local archery golf rules.  i also shoot them on the muzzy course to 45 yards, what a blast.  they're great for bunny hunting, too.    

you need to make up a buncha flu-flu arrows, each with a different fletch configuration, so you can see what'll work best for ..... You.

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Rob-

Thanks. Maybe I will just start off with some 4"-4 fletch flu-flu's to give it a try. I probably could get two 4" feathers from a full length TrueFlight.

I am curious about the 6 fletch, but that is a lot of feathers to be using.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
I just use the full profile feathers fletched with three helical, but 5"
I would rather have the extra travel distance but they still slow down pretty quickly past shooting distances.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Archer Dave:
... I am curious about the 6 fletch, but that is a lot of feathers to be using.
at a 45 degree angle, a 6-fletch with 4" full height feathers will travel 100 yards or more with a 45-50# longbow.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
We usually shoot at round foam targets thrown in the air by hand, and they always stick vertically in the ground. The spiral wrapped ones sometimes don't stick in the ground, they just bounce off and lay down.

I've found the 4-4" fletch is a good balance between good speed/distance but not too far.

Post some pictures up once you make some.

Alex
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
I agree with the other posts that spiral-wrap flu-flus slow down faster.  But if you only do a single spiral-wrap feather per arrow, they don't slow down quite as fast, and it's about the cheapest flu-flu arrow you can make (only takes 1 full-length spiral-wrap feather).

The last bag of 100 spiral-wrap feathers I bought from 3 Rivers I think was around $25.  Unless you find some crazy deal, I don't think you can get regular full-length feathers that cheap.  It only takes 1 or 2 spiral-wrap feathers per arrow, depending on whether you do single or double spiral-wrap.

If you're doing regular 4-fletch flu-flus, it will take 2 (at minimum) full-length feathers; 6-fletch will probably take 3 full-length feathers.

I like both types of flu-flus.  I think regular-fletch flu-flus probably fly a little better, but you can make single-wrap spiral flu-flus cheaper.

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
I've done a fair amount of experimenting with flu flus in attempting to develop an ideal intermediate (70-100 yard max distance) arrow.  What I've settled on is described in this thread:   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=141646;p=1#000008

I would be happy to provide raw flight data from my testing if you would like.  Heading out to hunt crows with my flu flus...
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©