3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What fletching jig?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
What fletching jig?
« on: March 01, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
I am in the market for a fletching jig. What would be the one you recommend?

I am wanting something that has the measurements on the jig and has both LW and RW jigs. Other than that, I don't really have to have any specific feature.

Any input is  appreciated.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What fletching jig?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Jo-Jan multi-fletcher is what i'd recommend.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
Blitz for me nowadays, although I have a Arizona EZ Fletcher that I have used for around 25 years.  :archer:

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
+1 Bitz works great.
T ZZZZ

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
I have one of the Grayling Jigs. Works well for me and only cost $24 new. Clamps are only $9 so you can fletch different styles cheaply. Overall quality seems pretty decent to me. Plus it is made in the USA as well.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
I have both the Blitz and Jo Jan Muli Fletcher. Both work well, the Blitz is more money but will last forever. Both my Blitz jigs are at least 40 years old. Only issues I have is at times I must use a knife blade to lat quill of feather to shaft.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
Jo-Jan multi-fletcher is what i'd recommend.
Kirk, I currently have a multi and mono and I can't stand the jig. I wish they had a little higher quality jig at least one with notches on it.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
If you are serious I recommend buying two jigs for a dedicated left helical and right helical. I prefer a Bitzenburger.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
I have both the Blitz and Jo Jan Muli Fletcher. Both work well, the Blitz is more money but will last forever. Both my Blitz jigs are at least 40 years old. Only issues I have is at times I must use a knife blade to lat quill of feather to shaft.

Offline Jason_L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
Bitzenburger, it's a tank and easy to work with.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 05:51:00 AM »
i think i've had or used them all, including not one but 7 bitzenburgers.  fwiw, i think the bitz is highly over rated and not worth the big bux they command.

imho, any single vane polycarb fletcher will be more than enuf to get the job done - grayling, bohning, jo-jan mono, bpe, aae, etc - and will not rust or tarnish in the process of years of service.  

if you have a specific fletching requirement configuration, check what each fletcher can offer first.  if i hadda have one, it'd be the grayling.

avoid the arizona like the plague!  you have been advised!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 07:39:00 AM »
I have and use both. But prefer the Jo-Jan. Been using the same jig for over 40 years now without any problems and easy to set up for any fletch desired.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
I agree w/ Rob that the Bitzenburgers are good but over-priced. None the less I have six of them, some are very old but they still work well so I'll stick with them.
  If I were starting again I'd look at the BPE jig. Never tried one but it looks well made and has some unique features.

Offline JDow3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »
I picked up the bohning from 3rivers and haven't looked back. It works great and didn't cost hardly anything. Granted I'm new at this but I haven't messed up a fetching yet. It's really user friendly and you can buy an additional left or right wing clamp. Will do 3 or 4 feather.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
If you're on a budget, the Bohning Grayling jig is the way to go. Super cheap and well made for the price. Like Archer Dave said, extra clamps are under $10 and the jig itself is under $30, and does the trick no problem.

I have a few Bitzenburger's and honestly the quality depends on what model you get. Mine are all 40 years old at least, so I'm not sure what the new models are like. Some models the indexer requires you to unscrew a hex screw and transfer small metal bearings into another slot in order to go from 3 to 4 fletch. This is a huge pain and the indexer just doesn't click into place like it should. I have another model that does not have this feature however, and it works perfectly. The downside to a Bitz is that even if you buy one used for $50 on the classifieds, extra clamps are still $30. All depends on what you have to spend I suppose!
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
i don't mind spending money for quality equipment, but i don't see a need in it when there are just as good options at a more reasonable price..

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
I have a Grayling and a Bitzenburger. For the price, I prefer the Grayling.
Sam

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Sam,
would you say the 2(grayling adn bitz) are comparable?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
I've tried a bunch--none hold up like my Bitzenburgers.  Others will get the job done--if I wasn't using a Bitz, I'd go with a BPE or Grayling...but I'm using a Bitz.  Got my first one used near 20 years ago, still going strong.  Buy one new now and get 20 years out of it, you have spent.....less than $5 a year?  Pretty good deal IMO.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
LBR,

i agree.  I have not problem buying one.  Just want to make sure that is the "the best" before i commit that type of cabbage.  

I like the magnet as well as the measurements on the clamp.  I am not opposed to anything and if I can spend $50 and get the same jig as spending $90, it would e silly to spend $90 in my book.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©