3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What fletching jig?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: What fletching jig?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
bitz, grayling, bohning, dpe, jo-jan mono, martin j8 - all of these are MORE than up to the task of fletching Perfect arrows for many many decades.  the polycarb fletchers are Tough, real tough.  the good part about 'em is that they won't rust or corrode like the metal ones ... just ask anyone with a "senior" bitz.  i would suggest first getting a grayling.  if it's not yer cuppa tea, either sell it or use it as a backup and go get that bitz (but you may not be happy with that one, either!).

tape fletching video, using a grayling ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
Bitz for me.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
no jig for me - i just do it howard's way with hat pins and glue.   :D

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
I have been using Bitz jigs for 50 years.  Kind of lets you know how old they are.

Remember you get what you pay for.  Keep an eye out for a used one.  An old hunting buddy just gave me two Bitz jigs the other night. He went to the heat shrink/plastic feathers and had no use for them anymore.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
I think most folks will agree that a Bitz is the best...how much better depends.  

Is it worth the difference in cost when you can get the same results with a cheaper jig?  

I like the heavy, solid feel of the Bitz over the poly jigs, and I like the precision of it over a Jo-Jan.  I've owned and used the others, honestly don't remember where they wound up.  Might have got rid of them, might be in a box somewhere in my shop.  I know exactly where my Bitz jigs are.  They get used.

But, that's just me.  Bottom line is you'll have to try a few and see what you like.

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
The whole best fletching jig is quite subjective. There might be sturdiness differences, but the less expensive Grayling that I originally posted about will produce arrows as good as the more expensive Bitz. It just is not going to be as sturdy, but then again you aren't using this as a hammer either. In the long run the Bitz might hold up the best, but again I don't think you are going to break the polymer ones.

The thing you have to ask yourself, is what do you want it invest to get started fletching and how many arrows are you going to be fletching on a regular basis. It is not like most of use use the jig on a daily or even weekly basis.

Also the way I look at it is that you can get a Gralying for $25-$30 with the clamp of your choice. The Bitz is going to be $90-$100. Getting the Grayling will leave you with around $75 to buy some shafts and plenty of feathers to get started. Hard to argue with that.  

Dave

Offline nipperlud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
I just bought a Bear paw other day after returning a Bohning...Like the Bear paw....
cl

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »

Is anyone using one of these?   Level on the level!   :saywhat:  

The Greyling jig looks very similar to the Martin J-8 jig. does anybody now if they are pretty much the same and maybe the clamps are interchangeable? I have had a J-8 jig that has worked well and sometimes think about adding another to speed up arrow production.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archer Dave:
The whole best fletching jig is quite subjective. There might be sturdiness differences, but the less expensive Grayling that I originally posted about will produce arrows as good as the more expensive Bitz. It just is not going to be as sturdy, but then again you aren't using this as a hammer either. In the long run the Bitz might hold up the best, but again I don't think you are going to break the polymer ones.

The thing you have to ask yourself, is what do you want it invest to get started fletching and how many arrows are you going to be fletching on a regular basis. It is not like most of use use the jig on a daily or even weekly basis.

Also the way I look at it is that you can get a Gralying for $25-$30 with the clamp of your choice. The Bitz is going to be $90-$100. Getting the Grayling will leave you with around $75 to buy some shafts and plenty of feathers to get started. Hard to argue with that.  

Dave
that is a great point Dave.  

I think i am looking into the more economical ones.  Either the grayling, the bohning, or the BPE pro, maybe the bear paw as well.

any opinions on which one you would get if you were getting one of these?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
that $900 aerovane ultimate jig is insane, and not in a good way  :D  what a total and complete waste of money.  so is their "cheap" $375 "enthusiast" fletching jig.  yet there are those poor clueless and anal folks who *think* that money makes everything better. hah!

there is no need for rocket science and putting feathers or vanes on arrows.  in fact, when it comes to vanes, spin wings and kurlys don't even need jigs ... but those are NOT for trad bowhunting.

the grayling and j-8 are essentially the same.

throw a grayling and a bitz into a rural garbage dump for at least 50 years and polycarbonate will outlive mild steel and pot metal by a factor of 100 to 1  ;)

aaaaaa, it's all good - EXCEPT for the arizona jig, don't even go there on that abomination! ANY of the other jigs will be better than most of us can fletch.  honest.  really.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:
I think i am looking into the more economical ones.  Either the grayling, the bohning, or the BPE pro, maybe the bear paw as well.

any opinions on which one you would get if you were getting one of these?
i'd recommend either the bohning or grayling, but the grayling will do more, so ... just get the grayling. it'll do it all and last a life time.  go over to braveheart archery and pick one up.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
What ever you choose write up a short story about your first experience. That way your experience can be referenced by some one after you. I am sure you will have a learning experience the first time. I know I did with my fletching jigs. As an example, I had to ream the nock receiver on my old Blitz to accept Bjorn nocks.

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
I have used both over the years.  The JoJan is nice as you can do six at once and even with conventional glue, the first feather is dry by the time you finish setting up the sixth one.  Also, no need to switch out nock holders if you switch between left and right helical.  I do both and have marked the jig with black marker for each setting.

Check out the classifieds for options.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
BPE  has the most adjustments 360 degree for nock placement and 360 degree for feather placement with the ability to put up to six feathers if you please for flu flu's.  And affordable.     :thumbsup:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
I've used a Bitz for 45yrs and never had any rust ot corrosion on it. That kind of metal doesn't rust.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
Bitzenburger
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
Bitz is the way to go.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
Regarding the cost of the Bitzenburger, I've bought used ones in the $40-$60 range. You'll see them on the auctions as well as the different archery classified forums. These jigs are pretty rugged and I've never had one rust.  I did get one used that the index was frozen up.  The guy had apparently used super-glue to attach the fletchings and it ran down into the inside of the index area.  I took it apart and cleaned it up w/ "Goop-off" and it works good as new.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
Most times in life you get what you pay for--but sometimes (not often) you get a nice surprise when you find something for a much cheaper price (about a 1/3)than the expensive model.  I have the grayling and have fletched thousands (okay) dozens with it.  I can't think of anything that I would want this jig to do that it won't.  Straight, right helical, left helical and offset (and like another poster said the clamps are very reasonably priced).  The only modification I did to mine was to put aluminum tape on the clamp to keep the fletching glue from sticking to the clamp.  I certainly won't knock the more costly jigs out there, but don't feel I need to spent the money as I get excellent results with the Grayling.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
DanielB89, I think they are comparable up to a point. Perhaps A finer degree of precision may be attained with the Bitz, but the Grayling, for less money, will still make some very nice arrows. That is why I say from a price consideration I prefer the Grayling.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©