3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody Hunting Woodchucks Yet?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody Hunting Woodchucks Yet?
« on: March 02, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
I was talking to a friend a little while ago and he told me he saw a woodchuck the other day, climbing up a snowbank next to a main road. Now we've got a lot of snow here, and It's been really cold lately. If anybody else had told me the story, I would have been skeptical, but I know this guy wouldn't have said it if he hadn't actually seen it. I've never seen one myself under these conditions. Anyway, It got me thinking about how much fun woodchuck hunting with a bow is, and looking forward to getting out there. It's going to be a while before I can hunt them here, so I thought maybe you folks would help me pass the time with a hunting story, and a picture if you have them. Thanks.

Bob

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody Hunting Woodchucks Yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
I just moved to Northern Georgia and those things are everywhere. They feed on the side of the roads and don't have any fear of humans.  I don't think I have ever seen folks hunt them down here. Not sure why but I guess it never caught on?

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
I always thought they were a lot of fun to hunt, and they're good practice during the off season. They're wary little critters around here. I would be too with the coyote population we have here these days.   :D  Thanks for your reply Jerry.

Bob

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
Maybe that is why they hang out on the roads and with people down here, to stay away from coyotes, lol.

They are neat creatures to watch. In the nearby resort town they just walk down the sidewalks with people.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
I am in my dreams, too much snow here and too cold yet.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
Whitetail Addict. I can concur with your friend. I have been hunting groundhogs for many years, and have certainly taken my share of them. But until January of 2014 I have never seen a Groundhog in the dead of winter, especially with snow on the ground. But I was in my treestand deer hunting the late season in January of 2014, and I saw this animal come from down below me and head across the woods in front of me about 80 yards out. At first I did not know what it was, but once I put my binos on it, I could not believe that I was looking at a groundhog. I actually took a video of it, because I did not think anybody would believe me. The video is not that great, because I was using a pocket camera, but you can see good enough to see that it is a groundhog. Click on the pic to see video.

Tony

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
I was leaving work one night 3 to 11 shift and saw a groundhog eating grass under a street light,honest!    :readit:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
I went out today, but I didn't see any.  Course I couldn't see the ground either.  Actually, we can't hunt them here in WI.  Wish we could.
CHuckC

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Saw one run down a snow hole last year about this time.

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 08:07:00 PM »
Tony, great video, thanks for sharing,  You just never know what you will see!
"They're all trophies"

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
I can't believe you can't hunt them in WI. They're a great quarry during the slowest time of the year. Except for the skeeters, lots of fun and terrific practice for the upcoming deer season. I always consider the sighting of the first "whistle pig" a sure sign of spring.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
I grew up chasing them with my bow. Sharp buggers.

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
I'm thinking at least a month away here. Fun to chase with a bow for sure.

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
I say shoot everyone of them you can, after the winter snow we've had, I don't even want to see one poke his head out and run back into his hole anywhere near Feb 2   :knothead:

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
How do you go about hunting them? I'm sure there's one out where I hunt, lots of 'trails'. Never seen it though.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
You can try to stalk them but they are very wary and spooky. If they see you and run into their holes sneak up and take a position on the back side of the hole so when they come up for a curious look they will be looking away from you and you can get a shot. You need lots of patience to hunt them like this.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »
I think the earliest I ever killed one was March 8th on patchy snow.

Usually during late Feb I'll see open holes and trails in the snow from den to den. They're wookin' pa nub. I swear I even heard a little Barry White coming from one of the holes one time.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
I went out today, but I didn't see any.  Course I couldn't see the ground either.  Actually, we can't hunt them here in WI.  Wish we could.
CHuckC
That surprised me.  Listed under "protected".  I always assumed they were rodents that had no open or closed season.  Learned something new, today!
homebru

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
Shot my first one last year,  with my little streem bow and a Centaur bigame broadhead.

They are making a comeback after a change in habitat, farming changes and coyotes!

Looking foward to spring! Saw one climbing in a tree last year, also!

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
As reddogge have said, you can certainly take them by spot and stalking,but it is not easy, because they can see and hear very well, and as already have been, they said are quite wary. And stalking them will certainly sharpen your stalking skills. I have also taken them from a treestand from time to time while out bowhunting for deer. They are fun to hunt, and it is my all time summer fun thing to do with my bow. Not to mention they are quite good table fare. Here are just a few of the ones I have taken over the years.

Tony

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©