3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody Hunting Woodchucks Yet?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody Hunting Woodchucks Yet?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
Homebru, I guess there aren't so many here as in some other states.  I see them regularly, but I look for critters too.

ChuckC

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »

Continuous open season here in Iowa. If I didn't keep their numbers thinned down, they would turn my barn upside down.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
What reddogge said about sneaking up on the backside of their hole after they have scooted underground. In my younger days, I would actually dig them out of their hole if they happened to take my arrow with them. Now they can have it. There is no better prep for deer season than shooting at live animals and this rodent fills the bill perfectly. Our season in NJ is open now but don't think I'll be seeing any anytime soon as we still have about two feet of snow cover with more coming tonight.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
You can try to stalk them but they are very wary and spooky. If they see you and run into their holes sneak up and take a position on the back side of the hole so when they come up for a curious look they will be looking away from you and you can get a shot. You need lots of patience to hunt them like this.
this is exactly how I did it when I was younger!!
"Us vs Them"

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
Thanks for the video and pictures, awesome!

dhermon85, you could always set up a little natural blind to. either on a trail, or within range of a hole. Spot and stalk is a lot of fun, but like the others have said, It's challenging.

Tony, you're a woodchuck killing machine, thanks.

I guess seeing one in the middle of winter isn't as unusual as I thought, after hearing some of the other stories. I've always said, if you spend enough time in the woods, you'll see it all eventually. Thanks again.

Bob

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
Have a farmer that wants them gone...but they are snowchucks now!

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
I should have added use a sharp broadhead to my last post too. woodchucks are tough. I haven't tried them, but Redfeathers Talon looks like it would be a good woodchuck head if sharpened. I just use my old Woodsmans on chucks and small game.

Bob

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Longbow58:
Have a farmer that wants them gone...but they are snowchucks now!
I've gotten permission to hunt deer and turkeys more than once, from helping thin out a farmers woodchuck population.

Tony's right about them being tasty too. all except the big ones, in IMO. I make a woodchuck chili that a lot of folks swear is the best they've ever eaten. Until they find out what the main ingredient is lol. Thanks.

Bob

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
Tony, you are a chuck killing machine and some monster chucks at that. They give me fits. A couple of years ago I bounced a broadhead off of one's head as he was sitting up and looking away from me at about 25 yards. Last year I did a perfect stalk and had a 7 yards shot at the groundhog facing to my left and made a perfect shot on a cinder block that was in front of his body. I thought the old dirty block was his body.

They are a real challenge and one of the hardest things to hunt for me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Tony, I think you killed a cross between a woodchuck and a bear! I got one once in a wide open field, grass was quite short and no cover for a hundred yards. I only moved when they were down on all fours. He would stand on hind legs a look for a minute or two and I froze, they went back to feeding. Took me almost half hour to get from 120 yds to 20, but quite satisfying went I got him. One thing I noticed was he would stand at different angle every time, by the end of my 30 min stalk he had gone 360 degrees around. So he was covering the field. They must not have great eye site cuz I was totally exposed during stalk but as long as I didn't move he did not seem to notice me.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
They are pretty scarce in my area. There are scattered populations around the state, just not where I live.
I see one now and then.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
Guess I should've drove to Punxsutawney,Pa. February 2, only about 2 hours away and shot that one...we would have spring temps now!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
I created paths 10yd inside the woodlot edges on my neighbors farm. I did this about 20 years ago and keep the narrow paths free from leaves, sticks, and other noise makers. I slowly still hunt the paths always looking ahead at the next den. I try to catch one out and get off a shot before I am seen. 90% of the hogs I kill are along my trails.

Killing one out in an open field is almost impossible around here. They run when you are within 150 yards.

I typically shoot 9 or 10 a year with my best year at 36. Last year was tough, I had foxes, coyotes, and who knows what come in and all but wipe them out. Only got 6.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
reddogge, I am no expert at hunting these groundhogs, but I do pay my dues by putting in the time to go after them. Like the old cliche, a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then(LOL). Like whitetail addict said, you do want to use a good solid broadhead on them. I am sure some have taken them with some type of blunt through the head. I have had them bite a carbon arrow in half before they succumb to the affects of the narrow. As far as cooking them, I use a slow cooker, and those tough ones that you use to have to parboil, are a thing of the past with the slow cooker.

Tony

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
I don't shoot a lot of them, and of what I shoot each year, there are always a couple taken in and around my garden. My Grandfather always said, "one of the added benefits of a garden is that they attract occasional meat".   ;)  

Bob

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
You slipped those last pictures in while I was typing Tony, thanks. Thanks to everybody else that responded too, I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your woodchuck hunting. Thanks.

Bob

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
I was determined to kill one last year.

after 4 blown stalks due to skeeters, I finally worked my way into a pair of young ones. I became soft and passed on the shot at 10 yards.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
Tony killed a wolverine!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
I use whatever broadhead and arrow I can get cheap. Quite often the whole thing goes down the hole with the pig. Blunts just tick them off and educate them.

I got 4 dozen Bodkin broadheads for $5 at the BBTC swap meet several years ago. I still have a few of them left. Easton Blues have been a good hog arrow for me.

Chasing sod poodles with a stickbow is about the most fun thing you can do.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
I miss that.  Good stew meat.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"