3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Banana vs Parabolic  (Read 580 times)

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
Banana vs Parabolic
« on: March 03, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
I'm wanting to start making my own fletchings from turkey wings.  It seems simple enough to split them, cut them to length and then make a template and trim them down.  The two cuts that seem the easiest to do would be banana or parabolic.  I've mostly shot parabolic but I like the look of banana and it would be easy to trim down as well.  I've heard a lot about noise with banana cut.  Could somebody tell me if there are any cons to them?

Offline eckterling

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Sponsor Classified Ad
Re: Banana vs Parabolic
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
A lot of people like the banana cut. You are only going to have a noisy arrow if you leave the feathers tall. The more feather you have on the shaft the louder it will be. If you trim them smaller so they are a low profile, they should be dead quite.
It's more of a personal preference on which look you like better. Try a couple of each!

Josh

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
X2 With above. I made my own feather burner from a post on here from years back. Its just scrap wood and then use propane torch to shape, works great and I only have to make new one once a year or so. I make a low profile 3.5 to 4 inch banna and they are quiet and still provide great control for my arrows.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jack Skinner:
X2 With above. I made my own feather burner from a post on here from years back. Its just scrap wood and then use propane torch to shape, works great and I only have to make new one once a year or so. I make a low profile 3.5 to 4 inch banna and they are quiet and still provide great control for my arrows.
I'll ditto Jack. He's made a few for me and they are lower profile and they are pretty quiet. I've had loud parabolic, and shield  it was all about how tall they were. I have a feather burner now so i make mine to suit.

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
I modified my Little Chopper to cut a lower profile banana cut. There quiet, and they work just fine. I like the looks of them. Its something a little different.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
I use a low profile banana 4" cut on my hunting arrows.  Stabilize great and dead quiet.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
Do I really need a chopper or burner?  Is it not possible to just make a template out of cardboard and use surgical scissors to trim around the edges?

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
banana
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
I love the look and sound of a banana cut when im shooting.
I hate the sound of a banana fletch when im hunting !
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Etter:
Do I really need a chopper or burner?  Is it not possible to just make a template out of cardboard and use surgical scissors to trim around the edges?
Yes you can do that, it just doesn't leave "clean lines" feathers move when you cut them, burning and chopping is a fast action, keeps it cleaner

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
I prefer the banana cut and have found them to be very quiet. Any cut of fletching will be noisy if you cut it to large. The biggest I burn 'naners is about 3/4" at the tallest point from the shaft.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
Would a wood burning pen work?

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
Probably but a regular burner, either homemade or a Young would be faster.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
Matty is right,you can cut with sharp scissors that will work, heck we used to cut with sharp pieces of flint; right! But burning cleans them up. You can make your own with 1/8 and 1/2 inch scrap wood and a flame. If you like I can show in pictures how., on the cheap.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
I like the look of banana cut best. I never heard any difference in noise and mine were 5". But possibly lower profile.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
I'd love to hear it Jack!

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »

This is just 1/8 or thinner plywood you can get small pieces from any lumber store. The base is just some 1/2 or little bigger scrap wood. I used some heavey paper to draw out the shape I wanted then tranfered to the thin wood and cut out. I have a band saw and belt disc sander I can make these in less than 30 minutes. But you can cut them out with a fine tooth saw and shape with sandpaper or file. Glue one up right like in the picture, I just used wood glue. The loose one that goes on top is sanded slightly smaller because it sits on the quill in this jig.

I use a medium to small cheap spring clamp to hold it all together. Trim up the feather with the sharp scissors you were talking about

Then run thru your flame or torch

This one is fuzzy must be the adult beverage

And your very own fletch in what ever style you want, crafted by you.

Now you may want to make three fletch at first, build an arrow and see how they fly and sound, then adjust if you want. I will just sit at my bench with an adult beverage and spend a hour of so making fletch.
If you have any questions let me know you can ask here or pm me.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
I haven't burned fletch myself, but from accounts I have heard, you want to do that OUTSIDE, not inside..
CHuckC

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
Thanks Jack!  Looks easy enough that eve I might be able to do it.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
Welcome. They will last a lot longer than you think also. They get scorched but dont burn.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©