3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Acadian Woods Tree Stick, Best length?  (Read 797 times)

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Acadian Woods Tree Stick, Best length?
« on: March 03, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
I did a search and read all of the older posts. I hate it when most of the pics are no longer available.

Anyway, I've got a Three Piece Tree Stick on order and have not decided between a 60" or 62" bow. I draw 27", so most any length could work. I was just wondering what length other Tree Stick owners were shooting. Tim Mullins will craft them as short as 56", all the way up to 68". Mine will be used primarily for hunting.

Also, for those who own both, which do you like best, the Tree Stick, or the Recurve?

Any enlighten info and or pics would be greatly appreciated!

This is the one I've mostly settled on...

N/A

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Acadian Woods Tree Stick, Best length?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
You could go as short as 56" with no stack.  I can't imagine how smooth a 62" would be.  For performance I'd go with a 58".

First trad bow I ever owned was a AW recurve, hence my screen name awbowman.   I have also shot several tree sticks as well as recurves and for me the tree stick is a hunting dream.  You don't see many used for sale if that tells you anything.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
In a longbow, I'd go with 60 inches at your 27-inch draw.  62 would also work, but will probably get a little more performance out of the 60-inch limbs.

Offline Michl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 01:23:00 AM »
Shorter bows are not faster, thats a myth. Usualy a longer bow will be smoother,quiter and more forgiving.
Border CH 64" 42@28
Black Widow PSAV 58" 50@27
Rainy Day RC 62" 40@28

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 06:01:00 AM »
The wood in the pic above is called Marble. That's the yellow/golden color. I never heard of it before. I'm wondering where it came from.
N/A

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
Marblewood comes from South America. I have some in a Sarrels longbow.
If it's in your way, move it.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
Mich:  Just as a longer draw gets more performance out of a bow by flexing the limbs more, a shorter draw will flex the limbs of a shorter bow more than it will a longer bow, providing a bit more energy. Not talking big differences here, but they are real.  

Of course, limb design and materials have more effect on performance than length, but in this case, the bows would be identical except for length.  

Just as my "probably" is a qualifier, your "usually" is too.  Longer bows aren't necessarily smoother, quieter either.  Depends on design, materials, etc. but that's the way to bet.  At a 27 inch draw, those differences will be small, too, between two inches of bow length, all other things being equal

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
I have a 60" and a 28" draw and it shoots great.

It's 54# and zips an arrow and is super quiet, you'll love it. Mine is getting a bit heavy for me these days. Tim builds a fine bow.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Michl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
Hello,
here a Statement from Ken Beck@BW:
"Quite often our customers are concerned about optimum limb length for optimum performance. A generalization can be made by stating that if you have a very short draw and shoot one of our longer limb bows, you will not lose performance . Conversely, however, if you have a very long draw and shoot one of our shorter limb bows, you will not obtain optimum performance. The advantage of the shorter bow, simply stated, is maneuverability."
Similar Statement from A&H: They recommended for best Speed the 64" bow for my 27" draw....

Maybe one of our bowyers can add a little rearl know-how?
Border CH 64" 42@28
Black Widow PSAV 58" 50@27
Rainy Day RC 62" 40@28

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
Marblewood is from South America? I'll have to look into that and find some reading. I never saw it used in a bow before now. According to Tim Mullins, it is a very hard and dense wood. I love the grain effect. Tim says the grain is more brown than the reddish hue seen in the pic.

"They recommended for best Speed the 64" bow for my 27" draw...." Interesting. I figured 62" would be as long as I dared to go with this style of bow, especially since I'm going to use it mainly in the woods. Still, the wait is about a year, so I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

I appreciate all of the helpful comments and pics. Would love to see more!
N/A

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »

Another shot of the same bow.
This shows the limb veneers which is Pomelle and according to Tim, is just a different grain pattern of Bubinga.
I think it looks pretty cool with the riser woods. I also may consider a fancy dark grain myrtle, but am not sure the Marblewood and cocobolo will go well with myrtle.

Maybe I could do the Pomelle on the back and Myrtle on the belly, or vise versa.
N/A

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Tim knows his bows.  I'd ask him what length he would recommend.  In my mind as a hunting bow no use going any longer than you need.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
Fred, I agree. No use in going any longer than I need for a hunting bow. I've about got it nailed down to either the 60 or 62"er.

I ordered a 3 pc pronghorn once at 62" and found that I liked the same bow in a one piece better at 60". I sold the 62"er wishing that I had ordered the 60"er. So, maybe the same will be true for the Tree Stick. For now, I'm sticking with the 60" bow.

I also need to decide if I want quiver inserts installed into the riser. It may be too pretty for inserts!

Anyone else have any pics of their bows?
N/A

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
I love the one piece tree stick
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
I have a 66" Cajun Hunter and it's a fantastic bow! So, I can understand you liking the one piece. Got any pics?
N/A

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by foxbo:
I have a 66" Cajun Hunter and it's a fantastic bow! So, I can understand you liking the one piece. Got any pics?
Sadly I never owned a tree stick, just shot a few.  Let a couple get away from me that I shouldn't have.

My first trad bow was an AW recurve from Tim.  Kind of miss that bow but I prefer longbows.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by foxbo:
Sadly I never owned a tree stick, just shot a few.  Let a couple get away from me that I shouldn't have.

My first trad bow was an AW recurve from Tim.  Kind of miss that bow but I prefer longbows.

Contact Stickslinger74 on here.  To my eye, he has two of the nicest bows every to come out of Tim's shop.  Almost too pretty.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
Thanks. I sent him a PM.
N/A

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 04:49:00 AM »
I have a 56" tree stick one piece that I absolutely love. Tim is actually re doing the snake skins on it now. Cant wait to get it back !!

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Darren, how far are you drawing your 56"er? what's the draw weight?
N/A

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©