3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are 2 Pairs of Cat Whiskers better than 1?  (Read 461 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Are 2 Pairs of Cat Whiskers better than 1?
« on: March 04, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
Hey all.

Just started shooting my Morrison 17 inch ILF setup. I put 1 set of whiskers on last at 1/4th from each end. 1/3 put them not much higher than the ends of the riser.
It's still not as quiet as I want it to be. I'm thinking if I need another set of whiskers or move these to the 1/3 spot at each end or, as several suggested, at 1/3 from one end and 1/4 from the other?

What would you recommend?

Thanks
Nalajr

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are 2 Pairs of Cat Whiskers better than 1?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
You probably just need to mess with the location of the two and maybe tweak the brace height.

Are they longbow limbs are recurve???
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
If two don't do it, you should adjust your brace height and possible consider a different string material than you are using now.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
They are recurve limbs.

Brace height is really close to 7.5 inches.

I just started shooting this bow today.  Still a ways to go.

I can go up on brace height, not down.  The string is as long as I can get it.  The brace height on my Bear Grizzly from 1971 is much higher and it shoots much quieter.

I'll also have to fool with nock position too.

The string material I have now is a standard Dacron string, I am told it is NOT a high performance string.  I picked it up at Bass Pro when I thought I didn't have any other strings.

Shooting 500 spine arrows in Carbon and Aluminum.

As I said, I went with 1/4th from the ends because at 1/3 the balls would've been 6 inches from the top of my riser.  Do any of you have your Whiskers at that low of a point on the limbs?  I just have never seen them that low.  If you all think it would be better, I'll certainly try it at that point and at the dual points of 1/3rd and 1/4th.

Thanks all

Nalajr

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
I would like to see someone place a set every two inches from top to bottom.  A fringe !

I am guessing that there are sweet spots on every bow / string combo that work the best.  I am guessing that more will work better than less but you have to decide when enough is enough.
I am guessing that there will be a lot of posts on this topic.

Of course, all of the above are just guesses.
ChuckC

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
On a recurve, you place the top at 25% of total length between where the string first touches the the limb, naturally you want to set your brace height first, the bottom is set at 30% from the bottom where the string just touches the bow. I have found this to be very effective on my bows.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
If two don't do it, you should adjust your brace height and possible consider a different string material than you are using now.
X2
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
In addition to spacing the silencers as njloco suggests, try a piece of felt on the limbs so that it just touches the string as it comes ot of the grooves.  I know they are ugly, but the Simms limb silencers do a real nice job for me as well.  They take a lot of limb vibration out of the bow as well as the noise.  Place them just at the end of the fade outs on the back side (facing you) of the limbs.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
If you don't like the looks of the Simms, you can place a wrap or two of racquet grip tape around the limbs at the same location.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
2 will help with silence but will hurt a little with performance.

Me personally, I always cringe when I see a bow with multiple sets of any silencer. If you NEED 2 sets then the setup or bow design is flawed.

A well designed and tuned bow is plenty quiet with 1 set

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
I use 2 pair as demonstrated by Ryan in his YouTube instructional video Tying on Catwhiskers. Check it out this is the best way IMHO to tie them on.  :thumbsup:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
I do not like more then one pair if one does not do it then try something else cause one should work. Some say a widow is noisy and mine is not as quiet as others but no deer I have killed has ever complained.   Widow

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 09:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
X2
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 06:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by DennyK:
I use 2 pair as demonstrated by Ryan in his YouTube instructional video Tying on Catwhiskers. Check it out this is the best way IMHO to tie them on.   :thumbsup:  
That's how I do it as well.

-Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
My current bow came with a stock D-10 string and wool scallop silencers, and it wasn't very quiet. Tied on cat whiskers instead of the wool, and it definitely helped.
Tried a custom Rhino string, that was louder.

Back to the original string - finally tried two small bundles of whiskers, and bingo… quietest yet.

My preference is one smallish set of whiskers, or Bateman wool puffs, on about 1/4 and 1/3's… but I 'll go with two small bundles of whiskers if it works better.

A 10 strand SBD D-10 replaced a fine custom string-I think Rhino-on my last bow, and made a world of difference. Gotta feed your bow what it likes.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
I take one pair of CW and cut them in half = 4pc. 2 for the top  and 2 for the bottom. This works out quite well.

Offline danshao

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
My morrison ilf 17" riser with long limbs is really quiet, quieter than some longbows even. I use the felt near the limb tips but I dont use the whiskers. I have beaver puffs about 19" away from the string ends and they really quiet down the bow. It IS a compromise on the performance because even my eyes can tell the speed difference when I put the puffs on.

the bh of 7.5 sounds fine but you can sure experiment with 8" and see if that works. just my 2 cents

Offline danshao

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
btw 19" is about 1/3 of the string length

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©