3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elevated rest.. Update page 2...  (Read 475 times)

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elevated rest.. Update page 2...
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
I would think your a little weak with that full length shaft. Since Ive started shooting off an elevated rest I've found for my own shooting I've required a little stiffer spine than shooting off the shelf. I get better arrow flight and it's much more forgiving of a sloppy release.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 01:57:00 AM »
I can't help you but, my bow is 62", 45@28 I pull 28.5" too. My arrows are GT 3555 cut 30" b.o.p and I'm using a 100gr field tip. They fly straight and true.

I am shooting off a Super T-300 rest with a shorty plunger.

Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 05:26:00 AM »
I have found that an elevated rest makes me shoot to the left at first also. You might try a skinnier shaft or shaving the strike plate back. The increased distance from the riser throws my instinctive shooting way off and I almost always shoot left.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
I shoot a bear weather rest on a Predator Hunter 46 @ 28. I draw 27-27.5. Here are a few thing I picked up from this site when I switch to the elevated rest. I take all the adhesive back off the rest and the put on the thinnest contact cement tape possible. It's made by DAP. On a weather rest there is also a slight bump out on the rest itself I shave that off. This helps to keep the shaft as close to the side of the riser as possible. I also cut about 1/8-1/4 off the bottom of the rest and rubber spring arm. This will keep the arrow close to the shelf but not on the shelf. I'm an aluminum guy I shoot 2016s cut to 29.5 inches with 145 tips.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
ttt
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Hey Daniel,

I did a write up awhile back about the Bear Weather Rests.  Like Pete said, the first thing I do is to remove the adhesive backing that comes with the rest, simply because it's too thick.  Once removed I trim the bottom of the rest and the arm up to the B in Bear. I also take either a light dremmel or a buffing wheel and remove the hump in the middle of the rest, this removal brings my arrow closer to center.  I like to use a think piece of felt where my arrow meets the riser side plate.  This just helps with wear over time.

I than re-apply an adhesive my buddy Allen told me about.  It's call "Peal n Stick" and you can pick it up at Michael's art supply store.  

As you can see I cover the shelf in Velcro and than mount the rest right on top of the Velcro keeping it fairly close to my hand.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
Hey Tim, that the exact set up I use. Minus the felt. I wonder if I got it from you post? Great set up.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©