3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tandem stalking ?  (Read 250 times)

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
tandem stalking ?
« on: March 05, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
Hi guys
i just thinking, whether it is possible  that two bowhunters moving parallel to a distance of 50 yards(example) and hunt .

is it somebody try that ?     :campfire:
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tandem stalking ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
We have used a similar style when hog hunting.
The only difference is that one person moves ahead about 15-20 yards, and stops then the other person does the same. It is kind of leap frogging.
It works well with the heavy underbrush in the swamps.
You just need to keep within eye sight of each other.
Ken Thornhill

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
I am really thinking about working on a similar technique for hunting moose and elk...depending on the situation and the wind one person could be the caller and the other the shooter or vice versa...the more the two of us hunt together the better we would get at knowing what would work at a given time...we would use the current technology of text messaging to keep in touch

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
If you can find a copy of "Trailing a Bear" by Bob Munger and can afford it you will read that he and Fred Bear used this technique all the time hunting moose. You'll need to work out hand signals though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
It's a great way to still hunt......just pay attention to the wind at all times and go SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
I do it with my brother...would not do it with most other guys I know. IMO the best way to rabbit hunt other than using dogs, also effective for deer if you know the terrain well.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
My hunting partner and I sometimes do that for elk out west, usually 100 - 200 yards between us depending on vegetation.  We call it still hunting though.  The stalk doesn't start until after one of us sees an animal.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
I do it all the time for mule deer. My hunting buddy and I use a decoy once we get within 100 yards. It's been working great!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
One technique that is very interesting that I don't think gets used enough is two people hunting very close together.

It is hard to quietly walk up on most animals  All of us that spend anytime in the woods can pick out the  animal making the noise before we see them most of the time.  A two legged turkey sounds lots different than a four legged deer for example.  I think two people could very effectively walk more like a deer than a two legged human with little practice and a bit of thought.

As an example one year elk hunting, my buddy and I walked out at night side by side and we walked right up on one bugling elk that we could barely see.  We thought it exciting and fun and kept walking.  Five minutes later, still walking out, another elk ran right up on us, thinking we were - that elk.  All it could hear was us steadily walking on a grave bar.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
We do it all the time during our pig hunts to Georgia.  Often times both hunters get shots.  The more you hunt together the better to anticipate what each other is doing.  It can't be about you getting a shot rather the team getting a shot.
T ZZZZ

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
My dad and I frequently use this technique for squirrels.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©