3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mailing your Gear ahead of hunt (Alaska)  (Read 624 times)

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
Mailing your Gear ahead of hunt (Alaska)
« on: March 05, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
Any advice on shipping your gear up to your transporter instead of taking it with you for the plane trip up? Will be our first trip to Alaska and any tricks to make the transition easier would be helpful. Also if you have shipped  your stuff before did you Use USPS or UPS.. thanks!

Online Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mailing your Gear ahead of hunt (Alaska)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »
I have been up there several times and always ship my bulky camp gear ahead of time by USPS. I use the plastic sterilite containers from Walmart. I normally send it sometime in early July and its always got there. A couple tricks, use a sharpie to write in your address then tape the sending address over it. Its a lot easier to just peel that off in Alaska rather than find paper and tape. I also drill small holes around the perimeter and secure the lid with plastic zip ties and throw some extras in the container for the trip home. Good luck have fun, take lots of pictures. Nothing like hunting Alaska!

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
I just mailed some skis to Fairbanks in a cardboard tube same as you ship a bow. I won't use USPS again as they were stuck/lost in FB PO for 10 days and took 3 weeks total....aargh! USPS said they only scan the track code when package leaves the destination PO going to customer so when checking track # it shows "en route". Another business friend in FB told me always use FedEx if you ever want to see your stuff. No more USPO for me.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Both times I went to Colorado I shipped my bows in PVC pipe and other gear in boxes 2 weeks before hand. I shipped them USPS, Priority Mail and both times everything was waiting for me when I got there. No problems!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
I have shipped archery equipment to Afganistan and Iraq more than once, USPS, without an issue.

I would make sure you have a good contact person in Alaska to receive your goods and ship early as mentioned.

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
I have a take down bow so the size is not a problem. I'm mostly considering shipping the bow and all the gear I plan to fly in with. roughly 55-60 pounds.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
I've shipped USPS to Alaska quite a few times.  We have a friend there that we can address too.

The last couple of trips both John and I have been "known shippers" with Alaska Airline and ship our stuff that way.  It's waiting at the Alaska freight terminal for us when we get there.

Make sure you figure how to ship your meat and antlers home before you go to.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
We did exactly as Preston suggested.  Check with the PO for size limits so you don't end up with containers too large.  If you have more than two or three, numer the lids and containers with a sharpie so you can line the holes up for the zip ties.  Get best quality large enough ties.  

Be sure your recipient has the ability and willingness to store your stuff SECURELY!  Also a place to store your stuff that is not going to your camp or drop site such as bow cases, etc.  Transporters don't like bows, guns or arrows in hard cases.  Keep your gear soft packed and flexible if you are going in by a small plane such as a Supercub.  No matter how much you may be told about weight, we found that with us and our gear weight was not the problem.  It was more about space.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
I shipped all of my gear in a TuffPak to CO via FedEx. Very convenient and reasonably priced. Shipping ahead is definitely the way to go with these airline fees

Online j.j.johnston

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »
Depending on final destination in AK, FedEx and Ups can be very costly.  Check the postal rates against the private guys before you ship.

Give yourself plenty of time for the goods to arrive.

Ship two bows, each with arrows in separate shipments or packages so that if one gets lost you still have hunting gear.  If both arrive, great.

If you are near Alaska Airlines hub, ship with them to your destination or hub.  I have had good luck with them.

Shipping antlers is very expensive.....very.  If you cut them at the skull plate and place in a big box, then ship the box, the cost will be substantially less.

Use your clothes to cushion the other items, instead of bubbles or bubble wrap.  Saves space and money.

Have fun...
60" Toelke Whistler 42@28
60” Toelke Chinook T/D 47@28
60" Toelke Whistler T/D 52@29
60” Toelke Whistler T/D 45@28

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
Follow the advice of Preston Lay. Unless (as Mike suggested) you have the option to become a 'Known Shipper' with Alaska Airlines, shipping gear in plastic totes via USPS is the way to go. I've done it for many years and zero failures. Don't skimp and buy cheap, brittle totes though. I have seen them crack at stress points (handles) and the potential for failure is there.

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
So you guys are just putting your gear inside those plastic totes, zip tieing them closed and shipping them? Or putting them inside a box and then shipping it?

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
I don't remember where but I found a good tote big enough for my take down (backup) bow & of course the hunting gear. Took my main bow on the flight

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Aggieland:
So you guys are just putting your gear inside those plastic totes, zip tieing them closed and shipping them? Or putting them inside a box and then shipping it?
No box. Load the tote. Add return labels and zip ties for shipping home. Lid it, zip it, address it and ship it. I use a black marker to put my contact info on the sides of the tote in case it gets misplaced.

My return labels and zip ties are in an envelope taped to the underside of the lid. When the hunt is over, repack the tote and prep it to ship back.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 12:58:00 AM »
We drilled holes through the covers that went down through the lip of the box.  then put the ties through and cinch em on the underside and cut off the excess.  Thats why we numbered the lids and boxes together so we could line up those holes.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 01:59:00 AM »
Brilliant fellas.. Simply Brilliant.. Don't know what it will cost to ship 50-60 pounds of gear to Tok. But It sure will make the flight up and back easier and more stress free knowing all my gear is already at the Transporters place!! lovin it!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »
There might be cheaper ways to get your gear to Tok, but that doesn't mean easier or better. Some things are just part of the cost of a good hunt. I've got totes which have made 3 trips to Hawaii and eight to Alaska, all via USPS...and they are still good to go.

Online Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
My heavy tote usually weighs in around 45 pounds. I send a second with food, mostly Mountain House and it comes in much lighter. Like Kevin I have containers that have made multiple trips. You will be looking at well over $100 to send a 50-60 pound package. But some of these expenses are just part of the deal.

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
I can handel $100 to save the hassle and worry of the air lines breaking or losing my gear before a hunt.. anyone happen to have have any pics of the containers they use. I pretty much know what you guys are using but I'm betting using the smallest size tote helps on shipping as well as total weight right? Great info guys. It truly is going to help me out a lot, Can't thank you enough!!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
I don't have any pictures, but a couple suggestions to consider. You could send all your gear in one big tote and then sort it out on arrival; breaking it down into duffel bags. I've been sending mine in 2 (or even 3) smaller totes. One or two of these will be packed with gear that doesn't need sorted, and the tote can go straight into a Cessna or Super Cub. Those plastic totes make darned nice mini-tables for meals, working on gear, etc. They are mouse-proof and can be left outside under a tree or bush. I like them.

My personal tip: A seat in camp is a handy thing. So is a washtub. So is a durable food storage container. You can accomplish all these and more with one 5 gallon bucket and lid. I pick up a good paint bucket and locking lid at my hardware store for $10. I load it tight with Mountain House, drink mix, energy bars, coffee, etc. Pop the lid on tight and be sure it seals. Label the bucket and ship it USPS. It goes straight on the bush flight. Put gear in it to ship home, or leave it for the pilot. You can also load it with choice meat cuts and have it frozen hard, then fly it home with you. Cut and wrap later.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©