3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how far is too far..wilderness  (Read 711 times)

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
how far is too far..wilderness
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
if a person was to do a wilderness hunt..with every thing on your back..and all so packing out meat..how far into wilderness would you go..thanks john

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: how far is too far..wilderness
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
How far can you handle. This is so personal based its not even really discussable. Variables are many including weather, your degree of condition, ability to handle altitudes, how much you like to pack and how many trips back and forth you can or want to make to get meat before is spoils and get your camp out.

Know yourself and your own capabilities.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
That would depend, a lot, on the terrain, the potential weather, hunting alone or within a small group and the game I intended to hunt. If I had to solo pack out a bull elk on the Continental Divide, 10 miles would be a reasonable limit, as that represents minimum 2 days devoted to packing out.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
Too many variables. When are you going (weather), your age and physical abilities, what animal do you have to pack out, what is the country like (low and flat, high and steep), how long will you be staying in the backcountry, level of backwoods ability, solo or with a companion. Any concerns from grizzlies?
When I was young and full of pee and vinegar, packing an elk out 3 miles over rough terrain was doable but not a bunch of fun. And you not only have to get the animal out, but your camp as well, so that is several trips. It helps to have young, strong friends or a horse or two in situations like that.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
if Mr. Mitten chimes in on this averages are going to be blown right out of the water.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
I'm going to enjoy this thread.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Any more, bout a half mile  ;)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
If you have to pack out an elk by yourself, about three miles. Much more than that and the meat will spoil before you get it out, unless you're lucky with some very cool/cold weather.  If you don't have to worry about packing out a critter, go in as far as you want.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
It is commendable that you are asking this question!  Too many guys don't even think about it in terms of packing out the animal.  Lots of folks love to talk about "going way back in" but don't have a clue what it takes to get a large animal back to the truck without machinery to help.  Having packed a couple elk out several miles (with a buddy or two) it is nothing to sneeze at, and several Advil days will follow!  If going solo I would let terrain dictate.  In the average elk habitat I wouldn't want to pack a bull over a couple/three miles by myself.  In rough terrain less.  If I was going solo I would also try to contact someone with stock to pack out a bull on call.

R

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
We killed two moose 3 miles from camp and 660 vertical feet.  It took three of us 7 days too pack the meat back.

Plan carefully and take good partners.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
Alot of sensible people have posted on this thread, but I'll give my two cents.  I've hiked miles, >10, to fish some high lakes in the summer time and have seen elk sign everywhere.  I've seen big bulls in late summer fishing trips and I've seen very few people along the way.  I would love to hunt these kinds of areas, but an elk is harder to pack out than a fly rod and my flies aren't going to spoil.  If I was dead set on hunting in areas like this, I would have made arrangements with someone who will hire out themselves and their pack animals, although I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ryan Rothhaar:
It is commendable that you are asking this question!  Too many guys don't even think about it in terms of packing out the animal.  Lots of folks love to talk about "going way back in" but don't have a clue what it takes to get a large animal back to the truck without machinery to help.  Having packed a couple elk out several miles (with a buddy or two) it is nothing to sneeze at, and several Advil days will follow!  If going solo I would let terrain dictate.  In the average elk habitat I wouldn't want to pack a bull over a couple/three miles by myself.  In rough terrain less.  If I was going solo I would also try to contact someone with stock to pack out a bull on call.

R
Can't beat this advice.  About says it all.
T ZZZZ

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
how old are you? What kind of shape/health are you in? How much will you need in the way of camping supplies? How many miles can you hike in a day with 60 or so pounds on your back? How many days will you be hunting? Will you be alone? How far is the hunting area from where you live? as was mentioned there are tons of questions to ask and the answer to one affects the next.  For me, based on the time restraints of the average hunter, I would want to be able to get my gear and an animal back to my vehicle in one day. The distance that equates to depends on a lot.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
No experience in the wilderness here, just going by what I've read. The last story in Monty Browning's book is ONE perspective. One local hunter had a whole moose spoil on him rafting out of the interior in weather that turned warm.
Test yourself with a load some weekend...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline nleroux2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
The first time into a wilderness I took no thought of packing out. Bad Move! I never worked so hard in all my life. thought I was going to die. Now I never fail to make arrangements with a packer as part of my hunt plans. Start early and make plenty of calls and you'll usually find an outfitter or packer who will go in and get your meat. It's worth every dollar. Most of the time bow season is the best weather of the year in southwest Colorado, but never go into a wilderness on that assumption. I've been 2 days into the Uncompahgre and there really is nothing like that experience. Be Prepared.
I hunt; Therefore I eat well.
Currently in the freezer: Venison, Hog.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Only you know your physical limitations. Weather, terrain, critter you plan to hunt all can factor in this equation. Amount of time is in there also. The comments above are all spot on......a lot to think about.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Three miles for elk, alone, would be the outside limit for me.  And that's moderate, mostly downhill.  I figure 4 trips for an elk and another for camp.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
Max for me would be one mile and that is outside limit when it comes to getting an elk out. In fact it would possibly kill most people over 60 to do that including me. The  attributes I have to do that is a whole lot of experience and a bunch of patience.
The pre arranging of stock to pack is highly advisable if going any further than a mile in unless you happen to be real young , real great shape and have friends that are likewise. The last one my son and I packed out was over a half mile and two sets of cliffs we had to work our way over. I took the hind quarter half and he took the front half. Pack a half an elk (large one) that far and you find out what it feels like to meet your limit.
Weather is a huge factor and here in S Oregon we hunt in heat or miss the season altogether. You have to get an animal out and do it fast so that has to be considered.
I got over long hunts without either horses or four wheeler access a long time ago.

God bless, Steve

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 09:39:00 PM »
Well, when I was in Colorado last I ran into a 72 year old gentleman. We talked for some time and he said he had been bivying out on that mountain solo for the past 17 years for the entire month of September.  He shot a nice bull that season on day 21 about 2-3 miles in, in some of the steepest ugliest terrain you would want to tackle.  He packed it out himself.  That was one bad man.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 02:11:00 AM »
WOW,there is alot of great things to think about..and i am so glad there is..well i should start with seening how much weight i could pack in and see how far my body could go with out killing myself..maybe i will try alittle at a time....hey sixby..i know what you mean about the heat down there..i used to live in eagle point..thanks for all the wise wisdom you guys..BLESSINGS..john

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©