3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: my best newb advice...charge $0.02  (Read 579 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
my best newb advice...charge $0.02
« on: March 06, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
There seems to be a sizable influx of newbs on this and other sites who are posting in frustration with the bare shaft, paper, group, xyz etc. tuning method. Any tuning method is going to be an exercise in futility if you haven't been shooting long enough to develop good basic and reasonably consistent form. So if you're just starting out, know how to accurately measure your draw length and poundage.  If  you've already made an arrow investment post their length, spine and tip weight.  If you're not in the ballpark folks can get you there fairly easily.  Then if the fletched shafts are flying decently and hitting in the vicinity of where you're looking, shoot and have fun. Repeat..shoot a long time before you even worry about a "tuning" method. I've been shooting since I was first alternate head waiter at the Last Supper. On a bad day I can still make a perfectly tuned bare shaft look like a Phil Niekro knuckleball...on a good day I shoot 3-D rounds with them because they're great indicators of form inconsistencies. Traditonal  archery is a journey...slow down and enjoy the ride!  On second thought, I'll waive the fee.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: my best newb advice...charge $0.02
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
Excellent advice and of course the price can't be beat!

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
good advice. I am sure I am one the newbies that you mention. I began shooting the 2nd week of Jan. I shot for 2 months everyday before I decided to give bare shafting a try. I did it the other night with great results at 12 yds. Today I went back to 20. Results were good, but not as good as 12 yds. Overall, for the most part, my bare shafts hit with my fletched arrows more than not. I will continue to shoot and continue to check the bare shaft every so often. You said that form and release are key to this journey. Truer words have never been spoken. I am taking this journey very seriously and I have not been frustrated a bit. I enjoy every step of it. I also understood from the 1st day that this was not going to be a cake walk. I keep my expectations in check, and if I don't, my shooting results always do anyways. I have much to learn and a long ways to go, but I figure I have nothing to lose by learning through trial and error. LOTS error!
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
Good advice.  I'd work on form and good alignment with properly spined arrows before delving into bare shaft tuning, etc.

And a good reference for peeps wanting to read a bit more on tuning their bow, including bare shaft info:
   A & H Knowledge Base Link

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
Sound advice.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
AMEN!!!!!

Bisch

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
Great advice Olddogrib!!!  If we can get the new folks just shooting and NOT worrying about tuning, they will be WAY ahead of the game.  MOST poor arrow flight is form and execution and NOT TUNING!!!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
One thing I did when I joined this site was take in lots of info from veteran shooters. I was told to just practice drawing, shoot blind bail, and keep my shots at short distances and shoot as much as i can. I didn't worry about tuning at all. I just had Big Jim set me up with arrows and I was off shooting. I shot and continue to shoot everyday, weather permitting. I have seen myself develop because I listened to those veterans and still do. I make it priority to shoot daily. And I am at a point now that when my arrows fly crazy, I know why. I know I didn't anchor and release properly. I know my elbow was too low, too high. The ONLY reason I did some tuning was to make sure I had the right spined arrows and have the assurance that when they didn't fly right it was all on me. They certainly tell the truth with no fletching. This has been fun for me. I am thankful for all the help I have received here. Being able to adjust my form and release because I know what went wrong has helped me tremendously. I wouldn't know these things without the advice on here. Thanks to all of you.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
Very well said and a much needed statement!

There are no short cuts in traditional archery and no way to by pass the required learning curve.
That learning curve is some of the best times to be had...thankfully it never truely ends, the curve just gets a little straighter as time goes on.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
Well said!!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
That's the best advice I've read in months
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
Newbies! Listen to their advice.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
I can't say amen enough.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 06:33:00 AM »
Form, form, form. Great advice there Olddogrib. First things first. Then accurate info.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
nuff said
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
I have never bare shafted our paper tuned an arrow....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     YES! You hit the nail on the head! Too many times newbies blame inconsistancey on arrows! Practice! Pick a spot,draw,achor, good clean release,watch the arrow hit where your looking. I myself have never bare shafted or paper tuned. Another thing is loose nocks on strings!
     :archer2:

Offline Caleb Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
If I may add my $0.02.
Shoot 5" feathers they correct form and tuning problems.
Just my opinion and experience.
Sweka St. Jude Hill Style 70" 50@31"
Wild Horse Creek Condor 64" 55@31"

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
Completely agree, but that is a symptom of our new generation that are used to solving problem with a single click. People have lost the art of patience and hard work, thats what gets you results, not a quick shot with a bare shaft.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
In the old days, real old days (60s) we would look at a chart, pick the appropriate Microflight or aluminum shaft, cut it 1" longer than your draw length, fletch it with 5" feathers and add a 125 grain point since it seemed that was all there was available, and go shoot it. We managed to hit things and kill deer in spite of our ignorance.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©